Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is 32X audio always stereo (Even hooked to Model 1 GEN)?

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

That's not what I was talking about at all. As was pointed out earlier, the Model 1 headphone jack has everything. I was talking about the mono sound connected between the Genesis and 32X. In order to get audio from the 32X AV output, you either need to connect the mono sound, or use the Genesis headphone jack and wire it into the 32X AV input.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    That's not what I was talking about at all. As was pointed out earlier, the Model 1 headphone jack has everything. I was talking about the mono sound connected between the Genesis and 32X. In order to get audio from the 32X AV output, you either need to connect the mono sound, or use the Genesis headphone jack and wire it into the 32X AV input.
    Or just get audio directly from the genesis. They only included that passthrough because your 32x rgb cable will cover the audio pins on the genesis 2.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training ndiddy's Avatar

Sorry for the bump, but due to overmoderation of the forum, even when I waited a month for my account to be approved I'm still not able to post new topics and this seems like the one closest to my question. Anyway, with 32X games on my Model 1 Genesis (using the headphone jack for stereo sound), for some reason I only get the PWM sound from the 32x out of the right speaker. The left one outputs the melodies (and everything in Genesis games, of course), but I only get the voice samples and things in 32X games coming out of the right speaker. Is this normal, and if not, is there any way to fix it?

Sorry for the other bump, but I figured I'd try to get audio working from both channels this weekend. I soldered a couple wires to the audio pins on the 32X's edge connector, and I still only got audio out of the right channel. Because of this, I think it's a problem with the 32X and not the Genesis. I used the 32X service manual to trace the audio pins to the "sub board", but everything seems to have continuity. One thing I noticed was that if I connected the audio wires from the Genesis 2 AV cable I'm using to the 32X, I only got sound out of the right channel as well. Because of this, I think the patch cable I'm using between the Genesis and 32X is setting it to "mono mode" or something where it will only output sound out of the right channel, even through the Genesis's mixing circuit. Does anyone know if this is accurate, and if so how do I force the 32X to stereo?
    Last edited by ndiddy; 05-06-2017 at 12:30 PM.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

If you have a oscilloscope and all of the free time in the universe, you can check the waveforms on the L/R output pins in the Genesis 2 multi-out connector, confirming that stereo is working (or use your ears). In Sonic, each ring you pick up will alternate its sound between the left and right. With that checked, see if your cable is feeding the audio from the Genesis into the 32X properly, and then do the first test with the 32X's audio output. Having an electronic engineering degree means that I would rather chew on broken glass than troubleshoot electronics. What dreadful irony.

The Genesis "trio" audio setup is kinda strange when you have a Model 1 Genesis (should have probably specified that). 32x pwm audio is mixed into the Genesis audio with pins on the cartridge slot, which is then fed out of the Genesis to the Sega CD using a 3.5 mm cable from the headphone jack to the Sega CD's mixing port, and then out to the TV using RCA cables connected to the Sega CD's stereo out. Because of this setup, the 32x doesn't output any audio that the Genesis doesn't give it with the patch cable. Stereo audio works fine from everything but the pwm audio generated by the 32x.

I'm kinda getting tired of this too, so I'll just cut the trace connecting to the 32x left audio pin and then solder a wire from the right pin to the left pin. That way, at least I'll get PWM from both speakers.

Thread Information