Quantcast

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming PS1 flashcard?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Instead of replacing the entire segacd with a fpga I'd rather just replace the cd drive and use the original pcb for the hardware stuff. Don't forget a sega cd is a lot more than just a cd drive.
    That is what I wanted to do I have not really gotten into doing thing with that though. It seems like people keep thinking that an fpga would be better for this task. I do not have any fpga experience only microcontorllor. I think it could be done with a microcontroller as I remember reading somewhere that the data is serial and the serial data is decoded somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by sega16 View Post
    That is what I wanted to do I have not really gotten into doing thing with that though. It seems like people keep thinking that an fpga would be better for this task. I do not have any fpga experience only microcontorllor. I think it could be done with a microcontroller as I remember reading somewhere that the data is serial and the serial data is decoded somehow.
    Hey whatever works. I wonder if you could reverse engineer how the data is transferred by tapping the cable between the cd drive and the system and ...uhh....monitering it? Unfortunately this sort of thing is completely above my skill level.

Sega CD's are not rare, working ones might be though. They usually have issues with the drive components, which a PCB replacement, well replaces. A PS1 or DC drive replacement will sell far more than SegaCD or the 3DO one (which depends on model). I would be interested. I think it would be far more reasonable to create than a complete SegaCD replacement that plugs into the Genesis expansion port.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

I have a Sega CD model 2 with an odd issue. Plays music CD's just fine, but to get it play a Sega CD game, you have to smack it a few times, and hope you don't breath on it or it'll fail and lockup.

Even reads CD+G just fine with no scrambled graphics, which indicate the laser is working, because if I remember, CD+G requires a more precise reading than data.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I have a Sega CD model 2 with an odd issue. Plays music CD's just fine, but to get it play a Sega CD game, you have to smack it a few times, and hope you don't breath on it or it'll fail and lockup.

Even reads CD+G just fine with no scrambled graphics, which indicate the laser is working, because if I remember, CD+G requires a more precise reading than data.
    Sounds like people blowing in their nes cart to make the zif system work better.

Road Rasher

you have to smack it a few times
    Won't that just make things worse?

Quote Originally Posted by sega16 View Post
    Won't that just make things worse?
    Hey, trying to fix it logically didn't work. Replace the laser, and caps, and it still don't work. Even tried to resolder the entire thing, still nothing.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

When you don't how to fix something, replace the caps!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    When you don't how to fix something, replace the caps!
    As stated, I did replace the caps, didn't work.

As stated, I did replace the caps, didn't work.
    I know. I'm just poking fun at how people love replacing caps when most of the time it changes squat. Like blowing in a nes cart to make the zif system work better. I call this "act like I know what I'm doing" syndrome. I used to do that too, then I turned 12.

Well, these caps are old, and can use being replaced.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Cool thread, though the problem is if this thing comes to fruition I'll have (yes, [I]HAVE[I]) to buy a PS1 and I'm running out of room under the telly as it is. Hopefully we'll move house soon and I can build a fully functional man cave.

Pretty cool. I remember running code on my hacked gameshark back in the day. The reason I think it was slow was because of the transfer from the parallel port...

Anyway,

it would be awesome if the HD loader for ps2 would run PS1 games so that I could store all my ISOs on there and be done with it. This looks like a viable alternative however. I'm excited.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I'd jump on this if it can do region bypassing...which I assume it does. The thought of installing a modchip scares me (I suck at soldering).

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    I'd jump on this if it can do region bypassing...which I assume it does. The thought of installing a modchip scares me (I suck at soldering).
    Same, I haven't the faintest clue about how to do that sort of thing. There's also http://www.mod-chip.com/psone-c-30.html. Certainly looks simple enough, but I'm unsure if it actually works all that well

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Thread Information