Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDTV SCART to Component not exactly working...

Default HDTV SCART to Component not exactly working...

I'm new to the whole RGB scene. Got some SCART cables and a typical ebay RGB to YUV converter. Seems to work pretty well on the Genesis/32X. Only complaint is the whites seem to be a little too yellow, but I was trying this out with some heavy duty composite cables. The thick ones Verizon gave out. Haven't got components in yet. Occasionally I've seen the screen black out for a second though. My TV is a Sony Bravia 32 LCD. I tried the SMS, and got no video at all. Only way I could was to use the Ever Drive on the Genesis to start a SMS Rom. That worked better, but still had some video issues.

The cables and converter work, because I tested it on a CRT that has component at the folks' house. SMS RGB worked on a 55" Samsung plasma, but had those vertical bars in the picture. I'm assuming my Sony tv is just not going to work with the SMS RGB? Odd that the Genesis was mostly okay. Waiting on the SNES SCART cable to see how that works. Any thoughts?

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar
    HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

It seems yellow because there's some pots on the inside of the thing that need to be adjusted. you can use them to change the RGB levels.

Component video = the colours need tweaking, so annoying.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

You need tweaking even on RGB to NTSC, even if you don't realize it.

I've seen flaws in your S-Video mods too you know, in color balance. Your whites for example are a little red.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

When I got mine it was REALLY green shifted. Takes 5 mins to pop it open and get it looking right.

Ah I see! I will crack it open. Any ideas on the Master System?

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

The basic SCART to component boxes do not upscale. If resolution is your issue, you'll have to think of a different approach.

I'm considering SCART to HDMI converter instead, which I didn't want to use because they tend to upscale into 16:9 only and don't give you a choice of 4:3.

Once again I'm going to refer you to this web page. http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ a lot of scalers are crap. This site brakes down the good from the average to the bad. So I have a XRGB mini and it is fantastic. It is HDMI and has all the scaling options you want and you an make it it 4 by 3 or 16 by 9 or original resolution if you want. Not all scalers are created equal but there are HDMI and DVI scalers that format the picture correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean697 View Post
    So I have a XRGB mini and it is fantastic.
    Fuck you.

Once again I'm going to refer you to this web page. http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ a lot of scalers are crap. This site brakes down the good from the average to the bad. So I have a XRGB mini and it is fantastic. It is HDMI and has all the scaling options you want and you an make it it 4 by 3 or 16 by 9 or original resolution if you want. Not all scalers are created equal but there are HDMI and DVI scalers that format the picture correctly.
    XRGB stuff is just way too much money ($500 is ludicrous) for the amount of time I actually play the stuff, and such. Plus I think it uses different SCART cables than what I have now. That is a LONG though informative web page though.

Ya I looked at it as a long term investment. As it will play all my retro systems and will hopefully stay with me forever. Or at least until HDMI becomes obsolete. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the component converters are really the way to go with tube tvs with component input. With a LCD or plasma I would go dvi or VGA if you could. Or HDMI if you can as well. I've heard a lot of bad story's about the quality of the cheap converters they sell on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    You need tweaking even on RGB to NTSC, even if you don't realize it.

I've seen flaws in your S-Video mods too you know, in color balance. Your whites for example are a little red.
    It's called a cheap capture card where I'm too lazy to adjust the hue actually.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Hue/tint controls don't affect the color white (or gray for that matter). If they do, then that means there's color on white/gray to begin with, which shouldn't be there.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Ya I looked at it as a long term investment. As it will play all my retro systems and will hopefully stay with me forever. Or at least until HDMI becomes obsolete. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the component converters are really the way to go with tube tvs with component input. With a LCD or plasma I would go dvi or VGA if you could. Or HDMI if you can as well. I've heard a lot of bad story's about the quality of the cheap converters they sell on ebay.
    The XRBG stuff is too much. I would love the LenKing All to HDMI unit, which has SCART, VGA, Component, etc. inputs, and holds 4:3 ratio, but even that one is no cheaper than $270. It's just crazy, the hardware cost them $10 to make in China. I'm also EXTREMELY afraid on dropping that $$$ on something like that out of China. They are that expensive because so few get imported here.

Thread Information