Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sengoku Densyo

Megadrive Sengoku Densyo

So many great Mega CD titles were left behind in Japan, a sign of the times when gamers waited and prayed for prospective games to be released in the U.S. Sometimes, we were deprived of an absolute gem that was unjustly kept from our eager hands (Monster World IV comes to mind). Other times, we're saved from a dud that would have otherwise deprived us of our hard-earned cash. Sengoku Densyo is one such title. Read our full review and see why sometimes importing isn't such a good idea.
    Last edited by Melf; 03-02-2009 at 09:23 PM.

I love reading these reviews of import games. Always cool to see games I haven't heard of.

It's a shame, it sounds like if this one had spent a little more time in development, it might have been a better game.

It's a shame, but really not too much of a loss these days anyway. If someone was really serious about playing Sengoku on the cheap, they'd probably be doing it with a Neo Geo CD or something, which has essentially perfect ports of the originals and isn't remotely as expensive as doing it with a cart would be.

The real shame is how SNK seemingly and purposely would cripple ports of its games to other consoles just to make the Neo Geo version superior. While I wouldn't expect perfect ports exactly on the 16-bit systems (though Takara's stuff comes pretty close I think), the 32-bit stuff looks neutered for no special reason.

I didn't even know this existed...

The real deal is nothing to write home about (Unless you're going to write about how utterly average and boring it is), so I don't imagine you're missing anything if you haven't played the MCD version.

Samurai Shodown for Sega Genesis is pretty sweet. Too bad this one didn't turn out too well.
    [ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

Takara shudda handled this port!

the neo geo aes version is very meh, i can only imagine the levels of mediocrity to awfulness the mega cd version suffers from.

this game allso came out in japan for the super famicom is was going to come out here for the super nes by data east but it was canned the month it was coming out

here the box art for the US

Quote Originally Posted by redrum666
    this game allso came out in japan for the super famicom is was going to come out here for the super nes by data east but it was canned the month it was coming out

here the box art for the US
    That SNES port was terrible as well.

Shitty box art thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    The real shame is how SNK seemingly and purposely would cripple ports of its games to other consoles just to make the Neo Geo version superior. While I wouldn't expect perfect ports exactly on the 16-bit systems (though Takara's stuff comes pretty close I think), the 32-bit stuff looks neutered for no special reason.
    The problem with SNK games on the 32-bit consoles wasn't that they were intentionally crippling them ... it was that the 32-bit systems were actually less capable of playing them than the 16-bit (cart-based) ones because they had essentially less ram to work with. At the time, ram was expensive and, in theory, they didn't need as much because they were just working with textures and models instead of frames of animation, which are relatively larger.

In cart-based games, they could just read graphics, etc. out of rom but with CD-based systems, all that had to be loaded into ram before you could play and because the systems were essentially designed for 3D, they had to do things like drop animation frames and compress the crap out of sounds to make enough fit to be playable. This is even seen, to some extent, on the Neo Geo CD where, in the later games, lots of background and intro animation, etc. were dropped making the CD version inferior.

In the case of the PS1, we were just screwed because there was no way to add ram.

In the case of the Saturn, this could partially be worked around using extra rom (KOF95) and ram carts (KOF97, etc.) but those extra parts never made it to the states (that I know of) so all we ever saw were the cut-down versions.

It wasn't until the Dreamcast and, later, the PS2 and Xbox that acceptable ports would be possible and even then, there are cuts in some places and some strange load times.

The fact is that the Neo Geo was really a pretty powerful system and because SNK didn't bother with restricting rom size to save money, they were able to do things that wouldn't really be possible on cheaper hardware for 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by 0x15e
    The problem with SNK games on the 32-bit consoles wasn't that they were intentionally crippling them ... it was that the 32-bit systems were actually less capable of playing them than the 16-bit (cart-based) ones because they had essentially less ram to work with.
    I disagree. As you've noticed, even the 128-bit SNK ports tend to be less than perfect, while Capcom apparently has little trouble getting its far, far advanced CP3 titles on those systems. The Saturn is a 2-D powerhouse, and even with SNK includes a RAM option as it did with KoF 95, it still isn't as good as it could/should have been.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

This came in the other day.

While I haven't had much time to mess with it yet, first impressions are good. There's nothing wrong with the sound FX like the review seems to imply, most of the sounds are there just lower quality than the Neo original. All the important ones are present and correct, this isn't like the FF Special port with tons of missing samples. Scaling enemies are replaced with animated frames, though bizarrely some of the bosses seem to use a different effect that for all I know could actually use the Mega CD sprite scaling (I'd like some opinions on this). There isn't as much animation missing as the reviewer suggests either, although I'm going off memory here as it's been a while since I played the arcade version. The frames for when your player is injured are retained for example, I expected them to be missing.

Yes the 2p mode is gone, but at least the intensity of Sengoku has been retained with up to six enemies on-screen, that may be why it was ditched (Chiki Chiki Boys lost the 2p mode as well but comparing it to videos of the PC Engine version again it seems to have more sprites on screen at once).

The transitions between the human and spirit world take about four or so seconds, and are probably the weakest part of the game IMO, not that it worries me too much. At the end of the day, this port would have been pretty impressive back then - still two years before Neo CD made the game affordable to regular people - so there is that.

Makes me wonder what Robo Army would have turned out like.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Talking

I would say that the weakest part of the game for me is in the graphical department. It becomes quite apparent how much the game suffers visually when compared to the NEO GEO version. Nice game but I would much rather prefer to play the game on another console. I believe this game appears on one of SNK Playmore's compilation discs! Amen to that since it can be had for $10 or less locally!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

If you're talking about that SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1, then no, since the emulation is shithouse and it's probably 480i only. While it's true the quality of the Neo Geo Online collection varied, they were leaps and bounds above that travesty of a compilation. Not sure what the PS3 or whatever versions are like, probably a lot better, but then no scanlines. If I'm gonna play these 240p games then let's see them as intended.

It's more interesting playing the Mega CD port IMO, for various reasons. I'll pick up the original (Neo CD, I'm done with AES) at some point though for sure.

Anyhow, the game. I've learnt how to play belt scrollers better since I was crediting up in the arcade as a kid and I can already see this is no 'button masher' (if such a thing even exists). If you stand in front of some enemies and just hammer away, they will cut you thanks to their invincibility frames

The blue samurais you first encounter on stage 1 can do this for example, you hafta back off for a sec or use the dog.

Thread Information