Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Sengoku Densyo

  1. #16
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,918
    Rep Power
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I would say that the weakest part of the game for me is in the graphical department.
    For what I've seen it can be vastly improved just using a color palettes hack. Most of the shading seems to be there, it's just a matter of re-doing the color choices IMO.
    The animations and the sprite sizes are spot on IMO.

  2. #17
    So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    3,713
    Rep Power
    88

    Default

    I'd love to get my hands on this one. I've only seen it up for sale a handful of times and it's never priced sanely. Watching videos, I don't see what's so awful about it. If you don't have access to an MVS or what have you, it seems like a nice way to enjoy the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

    No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

  3. #18
    Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,516
    Rep Power
    96

    Default

    Has anyone solved the region lockout on this one? IIRC it was one of the titles that couldn't be played with a BIOS replacement or SCDConv/ConvSCD.

  4. #19
    VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,573
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    I'd love to get my hands on this one. I've only seen it up for sale a handful of times and it's never priced sanely. Watching videos, I don't see what's so awful about it. If you don't have access to an MVS or what have you, it seems like a nice way to enjoy the game.
    It took a while to source a copy for sure. That's all part of the fun, though

    There aren't a lot of YT videos that show the game in detail, that's part of the reason I held out for so long. I don't trust the World of Longplay's vids in terms of accuracy - speaking of which their video for MCD Sengoku is seriously screwed, with the music crapping out and playing the wrong track about halfway through. I don't really understand at all, if their goal is to archive these games you would think at least using a somewhat accurate emulator would be important.

    Otherwise why bother?

  5. #20
    Outrunner nieds16's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I have a copy and have yet to play it because I don't have a modded system. Honestly, I love beat-em-ups and want to play this movie so if somebody knows how to bypass the region lock please tell me. If not, I'm not investing in foreign bios for a system so it is for sale. I don't want a stupid sum of money. I just want my money back. PM me and I'll figure how much I paid.

  6. #21
    Wildside Expert SpaceHarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    .fr
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I don't trust the World of Longplay's vids in terms of accuracy - speaking of which their video for MCD Sengoku is seriously screwed, with the music crapping out and playing the wrong track about halfway through. I don't really understand at all, if their goal is to archive these games you would think at least using a somewhat accurate emulator would be important.

    Otherwise why bother?
    Heh, i was about to open a thread about this some times ago...


    You have to know that some "players" at cubex55 / World of Longplays are Mega Drive haters for some reasons & they, for a long time, don't cared at all about the quality of their vid' for this specific system as well as the Mega-CD / 32X.

    The bad (Sometimes horrible) quality of their vid' is a thing & another proof is their comments = some utter-lame things! For example about Midnight Resistance on Mega Drive : "Pretty bad port, Amiga version was better in every regard!" (-> http://youtu.be/E0raazFIkOg) which is just so wrong that it becomes laughable!

    For some reasons, many Amiga fans, like them, like to hate on the Mega Drive, mostly because :
    - the Mega Drive kicks the Amiga's butt in a lot of instances.
    - there are so many games that have superior versions on Mega Drive than on Amiga.
    - & there are a lot of the best Amiga games which have been ported to the Mega Drive which can make Amiga fanboys feel bad i guess & even more since a lot of these Mega Drive ports are great & sometimes better than the Amiga versions.

    I find this even funnier since i am a huge Amiga / Atari ST fan & have, of course for me, no problem loving all these systems.

    Anyway i've spoted others people among the comments on cubex55 / World of Longplays's videos that also know about all this. & it appears that they recently used better emulators for the Mega Drive... Well, it's never too late to evolve!





    About Sengoku Denshō i've recently posted my opinion here : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...352#post697352
    It's a good port in every respects (Except lack of 2 players mode) which captures the incredible mood of the original & which destroys the awful SNES version.

    Also the Mega-CD version keeps the great original Japanese boxart : http://segaretro.org/File:SengokuDen..._Box_Front.jpg
    (Neo Geo : http://www.gamefaqs.com/neo/582028-s...ages/box-21383. I also like the US Neo Geo cover but not as much as the Jap' one).
    The SNES Japanese cover is a different one but it looks good in this case : http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/587048-...mages/box-2823 but not as good as the Neo Geo / Mega-CD cover. & what about the canceled US SNES version's cover : http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/587048-...ages/box-93135 ?
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 12-30-2014 at 10:01 PM.

  7. #22
    Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    If you're talking about that SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1, then no, since the emulation is shithouse and it's probably 480i only. While it's true the quality of the Neo Geo Online collection varied, they were leaps and bounds above that travesty of a compilation. Not sure what the PS3 or whatever versions are like, probably a lot better, but then no scanlines. If I'm gonna play these 240p games then let's see them as intended.

    It's more interesting playing the Mega CD port IMO, for various reasons. I'll pick up the original (Neo CD, I'm done with AES) at some point though for sure.

    Anyhow, the game. I've learnt how to play belt scrollers better since I was crediting up in the arcade as a kid and I can already see this is no 'button masher' (if such a thing even exists). If you stand in front of some enemies and just hammer away, they will cut you thanks to their invincibility frames

    The blue samurais you first encounter on stage 1 can do this for example, you hafta back off for a sec or use the dog.
    I would not be so dismissive about the SNK Arcade compilation. I actually own both console versions of the game and was pleasantly surprised with the visual quality. For the princely sum of $5.00 a piece (how can you go wrong with that price!), I got my money's worth and I still do play the compilation on occasion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    For what I've seen it can be vastly improved just using a color palettes hack. Most of the shading seems to be there, it's just a matter of re-doing the color choices IMO.
    The animations and the sprite sizes are spot on IMO.
    This would be a good game to see if the color palette could be enhanced. Do you want to give it a try?
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

  8. #23
    Outrunner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    580
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Has anyone solved the region lockout on this one? IIRC it was one of the titles that couldn't be played with a BIOS replacement or SCDConv/ConvSCD.
    I can confirm it will work using a Mega Cart on a US model 2. Since it works right with that I would assume it would work fine with a flash cart that would load the JP bios also.

    It did not work on my model 2 with a Datel Pro CDX (v1.8L).

  9. #24
    Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,516
    Rep Power
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    I can confirm it will work using a Mega Cart on a US model 2. Since it works right with that I would assume it would work fine with a flash cart that would load the JP bios also.

    It did not work on my model 2 with a Datel Pro CDX (v1.8L).
    Hey, thanks for that -- very helpful, particularly as it's the first I've heard of someone getting it to work!

    The only combination I've tried is an EverDrive BIOS replacement on a US Model 2 (both Genesis & Sega CD), and that was with a "non-original" (ahem) copy of the game. I think I used "Russell-region-free-cd-bios.bin".

  10. #25
    Outrunner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    580
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The only combination I've tried is an EverDrive BIOS replacement on a US Model 2 (both Genesis & Sega CD), and that was with a "non-original" (ahem) copy of the game. I think I used "Russell-region-free-cd-bios.bin".
    The bios loaded by the Mega Cart was from a model 2 JP MCD and it works without any problems. If you can run that from the Everdrive you should be good to go.

  11. #26
    VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,573
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    You have to know that some "players" at cubex55 / World of Longplays are Mega Drive haters for some reasons & they, for a long time, don't cared at all about the quality of their vid' for this specific system as well as the Mega-CD / 32X.

    The bad (Sometimes horrible) quality of their vid' is a thing & another proof is their comments = some utter-lame things! For example about Midnight Resistance on Mega Drive : "Pretty bad port, Amiga version was better in every regard!" (-> http://youtu.be/E0raazFIkOg) which is just so wrong that it becomes laughable!
    Yeah, I watched the Midnight Resistance longplay and read those comments. Priceless. I'm pretty sure the Amiga version has a choice between SFX or music, and I'm afraid the music sucks, so that's the 'Amiga version is better in every regard' out the window for starters. The graphics look OK but I doubt the controls are much cop. It's meant to be played with a spinner control (which I had the honour of doing BITD), how would it work with only one button? I also wonder if the Amiga version retained the 2p mode that the MD version lost.

    Yes, Amiga fanboys are known for some incredible rose-tinted bias (Xenon 2 anyone)?

    My mate had an A600 back in the day but to his credit he could at least freely admit the machine didn't stack up to MD (in terms of action orientated games, strategy and RPGs look to be a different story).

  12. #27
    Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,516
    Rep Power
    96

    Default

    Belated reply, but:

    Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    The bios loaded by the Mega Cart was from a model 2 JP MCD and it works without any problems. If you can run that from the Everdrive you should be good to go.
    Worked perfectly, thanks! I used "[BIOS] Mega-CD Model 2 (Japan) (v2.00).md" with an EverDrive, Model 2 Genesis, and Model 2 Sega CD.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •