Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xband has someone got it working yet?

Part of the reason why I love the pre-internet generation of gaming is because it forces you to play games together in person. I hate playing games online, I'd rather use gaming as an excuse to invite my buddies to come over. I'm not saying it's a terrible thing, it's just not my sort of thing.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Part of the reason why I love the pre-internet generation of gaming is because it forces you to play games together in person. I hate playing games online, I'd rather use gaming as an excuse to invite my buddies to come over. I'm not saying it's a terrible thing, it's just not my sort of thing.

I get that, I'm just saying it would be a cool extra thing to have, if you got buddies from overseas it would be a cool experience,
    people you'd normally never share a Sega game experience with but with this you could.

Road Rasher

I have no buddies who will play

Calls mates - Hey man, come over and lets play some sega! - Naaaaah

Calls brother - Hey man, come over and lets play some sega! - Naaaaah

Calls sister in next to my bedroom - Yo sis, come out and lets play some sega! - Naaaaah

Asks mum - Yo mah, come out and lets play some sega! - Naaaaah

No fun at all T_T

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by humbug View Post

Calls sister in next to my bedroom - Yo sis, come out and lets play some sega! - Naaaaah

No fun at all T_T
    Story of my life! In my stupid town, no one plays Sega.

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

Quote Originally Posted by humbug View Post

No fun at all T_T

Road Rasher

That actually gave me a hearty laugh! I'll be thinking of him every time I say that now.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Anything ever come of this? I have two Mega Modems that I still use but would like to see more games and players.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Yeah, I really miss that. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that plays Sega anymore. Everybody now is into that anonymous online B.S. That, and whining about graphics.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

The legendary gargoyle Road Rasher Firebrandx's Avatar

I had the SNES X-Band modem. It first introduced me to "mail bombing" at the time, where someone would spam your inbox to fill it so you couldn't get important messages. People would get suspended, so then the mail bombs would come from the Internet with anonymous spamming utilities like "email missile".

I remember discovering an exploit in the random selector routine they used on X-Band to pick contest participants. As such, I always got picked as one of the contestants and they never figured out what I was up to. Got to play and beat one of the editors of EGM at the time at MK II, though in another contest, I got my ass whipped by the world champ of Killer Instinct. At any rate, the exploit I discovered was that the 'random' selector polled from people waiting in queue. Normally this would be random because you'd only be in queue for a second or two before getting connected with an opponent. When that happened, you'd be removed from the queue list, and the contest selector would miss you when it kicked on. So what I did was set my connection to "local only" and then logged into the queue in a small town where there were no other X-Band accounts. This put me in permanent queue, and the selector routine wasn't coded to randomize when it kicked in, so it always selected me for the national contest as one of the participants. Worked like a charm! :-P

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Internet connection latency is on the rise, as ISPs no longer rely on people who understand technology to keep them afloat, but the ignorant Facebook and Netflix crowd that is satisfied with enough bandwidth to watch video in 1920x1080 resolution, regardless of how badly compressed it may be. These are the same people that don't notice distorted aspect ratios, and did not protest the draconian legislation being rammed into law by those who don't know the difference between GOPHER and GoFundMe.

Oh, right. Anyway, I'd assume that the serial over TCP/IP stuff needed to run some Genesis games over the internet might be a bit hard to manage in hardware form, but then, I'm more of the type that would be able to design the board, or at least optimize it and prevent unwanted induction along the traces, not so much develop the hardware, select the components, program the firmware, or anything else requiring more than two years of class study.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    These are the same people that don't notice distorted aspect ratios
    I could kill these people with my bare hands.

https://www.patreon.com/retrolive

Late to the party, but Retro.Live was created to bring the X-Band modem play. Unfortunately, despite getting some notoriety as part of WWG's X-Band Documentary last year, I haven't seen much since.

This was the Retro.Live website before it went off (not much to it)

https://web.archive.org/web/20191021...ww.retro.live/

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One McValdemar's Avatar

On YouTube there's a video from 2019 where they show a proof of concept of Mortal Kombat 2 played on Genesis and XBand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCooCA5bcw

So I asked the WWG guy about it on YouTube, and he said this....

Retro.live is still running on their Discord and working on some stuff but I believe for a myriad of reasons, some related to ownership of xband related stuff, they had to somewhat stop working on it though they have previously provided the tools needed to setup your own XBAND server on their Discord.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Of ████ing course.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    So I asked the WWG guy about it on YouTube, and he said this....
    Retro.live is still running on their Discord and working on some stuff but I believe for a myriad of reasons, some related to ownership of xband related stuff,
    they had to somewhat stop working on it though they have previously provided the tools needed to setup your own XBAND server on their Discord.
    I know hope is a mistake, but imagine if this means the xband guys are actually redesigning their xband hardware to support an internet connection. I'd buy one, hell I'd buy two.

Thread Information