Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xband has someone got it working yet?

Road Rasher

Pc Xband has someone got it working yet?

Hi guys, long time no post.

I was just looking around online and I've seen that a group has been working on xband3. Maybe from saturnleague.com?

Even if xband cant be done, what about a new custom made detwork adapter and play via regular broadband internet?

Even if using the original hardware can't be done, has any one got standard 2 player games to work online via emulator?

If there is one thing I want to do before I die is play genesis games online - I dont know anyone locally who likes them so its been a long time itch without a scratch.

Road Rasher

Bump.
    So no one knows any information on this?
    thanks.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

There was a member not to long ago who was looking into creating a SEGA Genesis adapter which could allow players to play original SEGA Genesis games online. The member's username is WhereEaglesDare. You can try and make contact with him by shooting a quick email/message and see if he responds with any updates. Incidentally, the original thread can be found here:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=xband

Further links to other threads discussing the issue are located under that thread as well care of Guntz.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I always wanted a hardware solution for Genesis Online play, but like SEGA.GENESIS1989 said we already discussed it before,
    and.. nothing came from it, and is that because not enough people were interested or because.. nobody actually developed anything!

People always get interested when they can actually buy the thing, but asking "anyone interested?" gets old quick.

I want something like that though, fuck emulators and that shit, I want an actual cart with a little wifi antenna on the side,
    something like an action replay with an antenna, where i can stick the cart on the top!

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I want something like that though, fuck emulators and that shit, I want an actual cart with a little wifi antenna on the side,
    something like an action replay with an antenna, where i can stick the cart on the top!

Road Rasher

I know the Mega everdrive is capable of doing this, its just its price maybe out of some peoples budget.

Gamster81 did a review on the Mega everdrive (in two parts), in part two he played a pong demo online against Ryan (stone age gamer) I do believe. So it's definitely capable of doing it, I just don't think anyone really has yet.

This I would love. With a simple text interface or even head sets if one is so inclined.

Wildside Expert

To the best of my knowledge XBAND is just a direct phone-line to phone-line connection between players. Therefore would you be able to emulate the stuff in the middle and push it across an internet connection? I know that on the Dreamcast you can use a 56K modem connected to the DC to simulate a dialup connection to play online.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio857 View Post
    omg shut up and take my money!

Someone like krikzz should make something like that. Heck I'd buy two Heck - if someone developed traces and software, I'd go as far as to make my own - regardless of cost. However I am only a mechanical engineer so designing something like that from scratch is way out of my league.

I will have a look at that thread in detail tomorrow. Thanks SG89

I wonder if it would be possible to have a little speaker in there or something, and a way to eh.. hook up a mic.

just a separate sound channel so people could communicate.

NONONO THE CHICKEN IN SOR2 IS MINE, GET AWAY FROM IT!

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

There's a guy on NEO-GEO that claims to be pretty close to making an online adaptor for the AES:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...al-live-humans

by the way, LOL at this comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    Who banned you on Sega-16? Was it "Baloo"? He's a fucking asshole. That would be a great site if it weren't for the moderators. And some of the members.
    This guy doesn't know what he's talking about, Baloo is awesome.

Road Rasher

I've cracked open my XBAND, scanned the board and started tracing last night. I'll post the images once I'm done if anyone wants them. I don't think it's necessarily that useful for doing online multiplayer in the modern age (I mostly want to hack some flash onto the cart to use it for dumps and other experiments more easily than my current Sega CD methods). Recreating matchmaking software for 2400 baud modems seems like more trouble than it's worth when there are cheap microcontrollers and single-board computers with ethernet available.

Road Rasher

^Great idea!
    Now, I understand that it isn't going to be history breaking progress ~ But its definitely important from a historical perspective. Also for reverse engineering the interface so that maybe some day a hobbiest will be able to make his own hardware.

I'm certainly very busy these days - but for me, this is a hobby for life. I have a few things I want to build on hold for maybe a few years now! But I WILL get around to finishing them

If the community was able to emulate direct dial connections. Currently, I physically can not have an old style analogue telephone connection any more as the hardware in our street has been converted to digital. As I am sure, most of the world has, too.
    Secondly, the community could get together to patch the most popular games to work with said system. Yes it would be a slow process but it would be nice if in 100 years time there were a small handful of games that could at least be played online.

If it needed the original modem but they became super rare - I would make my own based off those designs! But IC chips inside that modem may be hard to find so who knows if that would even be possible.

Sigh ~ one can only dream I suppose. I know this isn't a lack of technology ~ but a lack of money and industry/community support and backing. I suppose thats why no one has bothered to find a solution. It seems some one says they'll do something in a few days, get everyones hopes up yet give up after a few tries on a sunday afternoon.
    Last edited by humbug; 05-02-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Road Rasher

Getting simulated dialup over a broadband connection is the easy part, just use this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhXQ...e_gdata_player

The hard part is learning how the xband worked, modify the code to work with said method above without relying on a service that xband provided (make it really direct dial so to speak, a way to direct it to a IP, might be done with the netopia hardware). From what I understood of the xband is that it contained code for each game it worked with and injected it much like what a game genie did. I thought someone had partial source code for the xband.

I no longer have a home phone (analog or digital) I use a cell phone as my home phone (as many do), I used the digital phone to connect my dreamcast online 3-4 years ago. it worked good until the cable company caught on, they changed something with their setup that denied dialup through the digital phone service. I have to resort to the above method to get my dreamcast back online, or any device that relied on dialup for its connection method.
    Last edited by madmax2069; 05-02-2013 at 08:50 AM.

What would be really cool is if the cartridge connected to a server that you could setup yourself,
    that way Sega-16 could have its own server running and people could find other Genesis gamers to play online with.

of course this server software should be so that everybody can setup a server, be it on their pc's or a dedicated server thats online 24/7.

then the cart connects to that (configurable in the options menu, with up to 10 servers and a little green or red ball next to it indicating its online or not)

and you just select what game you wanna play, but I guess the cart would have to be a flashcart so you could load roms of games you don't own?
    maybe have both? roms and an actual cart port, I mean the Super UFO Pro 8 has a cartridge connector on top and an SD slot on the side.

so something like that perhaps, so people could still use their real carts for that real feeling.

but.. we would also be able to play pirates/translated roms/hacks online via the SD cart slot.

man, with Internet speeds the way they are now you'd think that the bottleneck was gone, if only someone skilled enough was interested in this.

.... oh Kriiiiiiiiiiiikkz!

Thread Information