Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Default Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Wacky aliens and chainsaw-wielding madmen were the norm in LucasArts' humorous action hit Zombies Ate My Neighbors. As funny as it was challenging, the game never let up, and was tremendous fun with a friend. Read our report on this must-have for the Genesis.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-21-2011 at 10:26 PM.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Mr. Seiber underrates.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Banned by Administrators 16bitter's Avatar

While the levels are varied enough in locations and challenges, the gameplay becomes repetitive rather quickly. Having to go through more than fifty levels with no real variation in objectives or play mechanics becomes stale too soon.

As opposed to what?

The fact that ZAMN is not a Konami product is apparent. While it's certainly not a bad game, it's not on par with Konami's own game franchises.

Peh. This is one of the best games Konami published in the 16-bit era, and considering how great they were back then that's truly saying something.

Also, the review doesn't even mention what a great 2 player game this was. I had great times playing this with friends.

It's a 9. Minimum.

I'll agree with the score of 8. For one thing the game can be unnecessarily repetitive due to the fact that in order to have a really good chance at winning the game, you pretty much need to start from Stage 1. Using a password to jump in at stage 35, you'd have to be an 'adept' to complete the rest of the levels with only a water pistol. A battery backup to save items would have been a good addition.

Sports Talker StealthNinjaScyther's Avatar

An 8 is a fair score, but personally I would have given it a 9.

I do take issue with the statement about it not being up to par with other Konami titles of the time. Of the Konami games I've played for the Genesis the best ones are Rocket Knight Adventures, Contra, and Castlevania. I'd say ZAMN is up there with those games, and is definitely above most of the other Konami games for the Genesis, unless I'm overlooking some other classic Konami game.

I think that Konami did a great job with its Genesis game, but didn't give some of them the same love they gave the SNES versions. Both TMNT games come to mind, as does Castlevania.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    I think that Konami did a great job with its Genesis game, but didn't give some of them the same love they gave the SNES versions. Both TMNT games come to mind, as does Castlevania.
    I think the Genesis Castlevania was made with more love. It's the game that tied the Castlevania series to Bram Stoker's Dracula, and it has brilliant, carefully crafted level design. Dracula X is a horrible pseudoport. Castlevania IV is a chaotic, unfocused semi-remake of the original. Not that I don't still enjoy it, but it's got completely random things all over the place. I think it was a bit rushed and the game comes off as a bit tech demo -y.

I must admit that I don't really know how the SNES version of ZAMN compares, though.

SNES ZAMN is excellent, and the differences between it and its Genesis counterpart are no more than graphics and sound. They both play exceptionally.

..Super Castlevania IV chaotic and unfocused? Not so sure I agree with that. In fact, those are two words I've never thought to associate with that Belmont excursion. If by chaos you mean the occasionally bizarre level, well.. it is Dracula's castle. There's no limit as to how insane things can get in that vampiric retreat, and while the stranger situations like the rotating rooms and infinitely rising maze may be chaotic, it's an expected chaos. The game may have been rushed seeing as it was released so close to the SNES launch, but I don't think it shows, especially compared to, say, Gradius III with its crippling slowdown (still a great shooter). And that feeling of technology showcase is warranted.. many early SNES titles were made to take flashy advantage of mode 7. I think Super Castlevania IV uses it well enough to actually aid gameplay as opposed to being pure spectacle, but hey, to each their own.

And yeah.. Once you've played Rondo of Blood, enjoying SNES Dracula X is hopeless. It simply doesn't compare.

Anyone a Ghoul Patrol fan?

I also agree with the review of ZAMN. It does get repetitive and it really is frustrating when you run out of water or some weapon that was useful if I remember right since it's been years when I played it.

As far as repetition, I saw no problem with this game. It never really became boring for my purposes, nor does it. A great multi-player play, which I never was too concerned about fully completing. Much like old arcade games like Rampage.

The complaint about the lack of ammo...um, ok. Other than through codes there aren't many games that give you a great amount of ammo for the better weapons.

That 50 foot baby alone makes this game a 9.

I agree with the score, and the review.
    But I think it fits perfectly alongside Konami's other genny titles.

I'd say that while Konami seemed to feel more at home on the SNES, they never really slouched on the Genesis (possible exception with the Genesis Sparkster).

On a side note, Super CvIV is (IMO) the worst game in the entire franchisee.
    Mode 7 was used to a very boring end. The Limp whip screwed up jumping strikes (especially on a sensitive D-pad), the levels were slow, bosses uninteresting, and music rather drab.

Hooligans of the Night...Eat, Game, and be Merry
    The Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dartagnan1083
    On a side note, Super CvIV is (IMO) the worst game in the entire franchisee.
    Mode 7 was used to a very boring end. The Limp whip screwed up jumping strikes (especially on a sensitive D-pad), the levels were slow, bosses uninteresting, and music rather drab.
    The music from Super Castlevania IV is some of the best of the franchise in my opinion, and the levels were no more slow than the 3 NES Castlevania's previously. The sprite art is a little bland, but I've always thought that the levels are diverse enough to make up for it. Jumping strikes were made far more effective with the ability to whip on angles.. it just requires more precision, that's all. But hey, whatever, differing opinions are good.

Konami kicked grand ass on SNES, and when they chose to do the same with Genesis, they could do it even better. Rocket Knight Adventures and Contra: Hard Corps set the Genesis on fire.. Rocket Knight especially transcends the perceived hardware limitations of the Genesis.

The angled whipping wasn't the problem, it was how a whip shot that was intended to be straight could often wank out into the limp state.
    it had to do with shifting directions as the whip came forward. . . something that happened all too often given how small the Dpad is compared to my thumbs. The slightest shift would trigger the glitch.

The levels just weren't much fun for me.
    Mode 7 was pretty much tacked on, and like Contra III, made their segments more tedious than enjoyable.

Hooligans of the Night...Eat, Game, and be Merry
    The Game Collection

The whip does have a tendancy to go a little wonky if you hold down the button through the strike, but if you tap instead of hold, ol' Belmont will complete the solid whip strike regardless of any d-pad slip up. That might help you to enjoy the game a bit more, because yeah.. going in for the kill and having your whip crap out, forcing you to feverishly wave the chain around in front of you out of desperation is no good.

The mode 7 levels in Contra III are awkward and detrimental to the game's flow, but at least the side-scrolling majority is righteous. The mode 7 in Castlevania IV doesn't take you out of the game like it did in Contra III.. it's there for a bit of pleasing graphical manipulation, and in the case of the rotating rooms, helps connect parts of the level in a fairly creative way. Anyways.. just my thoughts. Mode 7 has many a critic, and for good reason.

I recently played a bit of Ghoul Patrol to compare to ZAMN. It's just not the same.

Super Castlevania IV was a masterpiece overall, and outside Symphony of the Night it has some of the best music in the series bar none. How the hell could soembody be down on this game's music? The music in the catacombs alone is haunting.

And I'm not going to bash that whip action. I loved that whip. The game was still decently difficult even with the ability to aim it where you pleased. I must say, I've never heard of anybody's going LIMP inadverdently...that's just sad.

I think this was one of the great SNES games.

Thread Information