Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Why are there so many dead Grind Stormers?

  1. #31
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l_oliveira View Post
    I've repaired a Genesis Rocket Knight Adventure cart for a friend a couple weeks ago and it was three broken traces from the ROM to the board. The board isn't the SEGA one, it was a Konami board.
    I remember repairing a pal sonic 3 which had a similar PCB as that tengen PCB above (mayb the same brand I cant remember?), the traces are so thin where they attach/join to the carts pin contacts and corrosion broke those traces right where the cart joins together. Of course a multimeter will confirm if any traces are broken too.

    If u look closely the Sega cart above, the pcb traces flare out just before they join to the carts pin contacts at the bottom where the tengen one doesn't. my guess this is cause from only cleaning the carts with out separating them leaving some sort of residue to sit over time and corrode right at that join. pics will tell the story tho.

  2. #32
    Nameless One
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Hey fellas. If you are on Facebook. Look up WARP ZONE - VIDEO GAMES & BEYOND.
    A retro & modern game shop based in Hillard OH. call or email them up and ask about fixing a faulty Grind Stormer.
    These guys did it for me and in only costed less than $30 for the services. Ask for Darrin he'll hook you up and has lots of other stuff as well so check it out!!

    Seriously, never thought my Grind Stormer was repairable until I came across the giys, they are legit and true to their work. HIGHLY recommended if you are serious on retaining that HTF shumup!!

  3. #33
    Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,472
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsju View Post
    Hey fellas. If you are on Facebook. Look up WARP ZONE - VIDEO GAMES & BEYOND.
    A retro & modern game shop based in Hillard OH. call or email them up and ask about fixing a faulty Grind Stormer.
    These guys did it for me and in only costed less than $30 for the services. Ask for Darrin he'll hook you up and has lots of other stuff as well so check it out!!

    Seriously, never thought my Grind Stormer was repairable until I came across the giys, they are legit and true to their work. HIGHLY recommended if you are serious on retaining that HTF shumup!!
    Did they keep your original Tengen PCB and repair traces or just swap it onto a new board? I'd like to get paid $30 for a ROM swap onto a cheap donor. TO find an applicable donor just find out the size of the ROM and find a donor cart with that same size and you should be good to go. I think chessage had a site which listed game and rom size but I don't know where it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

  4. #34
    Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    61

    Default

    Well apparently heavy nova is a good donor cart in this instance. I have one laying around so that's what I'm going to try.

  5. #35
    Road Rasher l_oliveira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Well apparently heavy nova is a good donor cart in this instance. I have one laying around so that's what I'm going to try.
    Considering how uniform SEGA 16 bit cartridges are, you can easily find a donor, no need to look for a certain specific game.
    I'd like to share some wisdom:
    Quote Originally Posted by TmEE
    I'm too lazy to be unstoppable.
    you can have shame, as long as you don't feel it

  6. #36
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Well apparently heavy nova is a good donor cart in this instance. I have one laying around so that's what I'm going to try.
    not sure why u are starting with the harder option 1st?

  7. #37
    A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    At the mercy of opinions.
    Posts
    1,114
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I think chessage had a site which listed game and rom size but I don't know where it is.
    Here. See Nepereny's listings as well.

  8. #38
    WCPO Agent Helder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    755
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Like I_Oliveira said most cartridges are compatible but could someone tell me what major differences there are in small rom sized pcbs and large roms sized pcbs? I know there is one trace that is either connected to ground/5V (Not sure) or to the cart fingers. Once I know I can make a plain PCB for any one doing reproductions or who need a donor PCB and I'll post the link so whoever needs them can order them.

  9. #39
    Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    61

    Default

    Perhaps just taking some pics of the cart first may help in identifying the problem with the board. I will get those up tonight.

  10. #40
    Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    61

    Default

    I was under the impression the donor pcb had to be the same size. What size is Grindstormer?

  11. #41
    WCPO Agent Helder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    755
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Well it seems HD Retrovision finally released their eagle files for a basic Genesis PCB and here it is for any one who wants to order a few with Gold fingers, you will need to bevel the edge though.

    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/hZLB1h0k

  12. #42
    Nameless One fahlim003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    So is there a definitive list of donor cartridges or is the solution to us a reproduction PCB like Helder's above?

    171-5978bab32 is the PCB in Heavy Nova so far I've seen these as having 'similar' boards based on the lists shared earlier here:
    Ecco Jr. MPR-17111-SM 171-5978BA
    Joe & Mac MPR-16427-S 171-5978BA
    Last Action Hero MPR-16337 171-5978BA
    Mega Bomberman MPR-17630-F 171-5978BA
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2Not For Resale MPR-15000A 171-5978BA
    Zoop MPR-18431-F 171-5978BA
    Cool Spot MPR-15476-F 171-5978BA
    Galaxy Force 2 MPR-14248B-F 171-5978BA
    Pitfighter MPR-14320A-F 171-5978BA
    Top Gear 2 MPR-17297-SM 171-5978BA
    Super Fantasy Zone MPR-15124-H 171-5978BA
    Heavy Nova MPR-14390-S 171-5978BAB32
    Mickey's Ultimate Challenge MPR-16375 200057-02 B32
    G-Loc MPR-15326-F 171-5978B
    Pit-Fighter MPR-14670 171-5978BA
    Menacer 6-Game Cartridge MPR-15075-F 171-5978B
    Batman Forever 9534 D ? B32
    Or can someone simply point to replacement/reproduction PCBs that would work? It seems the Menacer cartridge also works (171-5978bab32 as well).
    Last edited by fahlim003; 05-19-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    He glanced over at the head on a stake 'A Hunnic trophy, I think the man was a Visigoth He died at the Battle of the Catalaunian Fields I keep it here so that I may see it every day and remember' 'Remember what, Father?' I asked him

    The scent of a burning village The sound of butchery The way peasants would flee before the Hun riders The way we would ride them down The way it felt to conquer alongside Attila and the Huns

    He leaned so close I could feel his breath 'Sometimes... I miss it'



  13. #43
    WCPO Agent CrossBow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ivory Tower Collections
    Posts
    855
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I personally got my Grind Stormer and my Gauntlet IV working using the swap board method. I have successfully used:

    G-Loc
    Pitfighter (Pretty cheap to find and is actually a Tengen published game that uses Sega boards in them?)
    Batman Forever

    Those are the three I tend to pick up with Pitfighter and Batman forever being the most common I find. I grab them when they are cheap and keep them on hand or did when I was running into this quite a bit with Tengen games.

  14. #44
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,436
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    So is there a definitive list of donor cartridges or is the solution to us a reproduction PCB like Helder's above?

    171-5978bab32 is the PCB in Heavy Nova so far I've seen these as having 'similar' boards based on the lists shared earlier here:


    Or can someone simply point to replacement/reproduction PCBs that would work? It seems the Menacer cartridge also works (171-5978bab32 as well).

    I wish there was such a list, but it would require opening up and taking pics of every single cart - and the Japanese carts can't even be opened up as the screws are sealed up with the label on the back. Has there ever been any such effort, by the way? To make PCB pics of all Genesis carts? I know the Nintendo community already made sites like that, I wanted to make one for Sega stuff but ultimately never got anything done.

    The proper part number is 171-5978BA by the way. the B32 at the end is just the cart pinout label (and B1 on the left corner, so you know the pins are labelled as B1 to B32).

  15. #45
    Nameless One fahlim003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    I personally got my Grind Stormer and my Gauntlet IV working using the swap board method. I have successfully used:

    G-Loc
    Pitfighter (Pretty cheap to find and is actually a Tengen published game that uses Sega boards in them?)
    Batman Forever

    Those are the three I tend to pick up with Pitfighter and Batman forever being the most common I find. I grab them when they are cheap and keep them on hand or did when I was running into this quite a bit with Tengen games.
    Added them to the list. Can't tell what the PCB code is for Batman Forever but seems suitable. Thanks for the updates.

    Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I wish there was such a list, but it would require opening up and taking pics of every single cart - and the Japanese carts can't even be opened up as the screws are sealed up with the label on the back. Has there ever been any such effort, by the way? To make PCB pics of all Genesis carts? I know the Nintendo community already made sites like that, I wanted to make one for Sega stuff but ultimately never got anything done.

    The proper part number is 171-5978BA by the way. the B32 at the end is just the cart pinout label (and B1 on the left corner, so you know the pins are labelled as B1 to B32).
    SegaRetro usually has 1 photo of the PCB but its far from definitive or searchable. I think there is still value in making a list, much like The NES Cart Database: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/
    He glanced over at the head on a stake 'A Hunnic trophy, I think the man was a Visigoth He died at the Battle of the Catalaunian Fields I keep it here so that I may see it every day and remember' 'Remember what, Father?' I asked him

    The scent of a burning village The sound of butchery The way peasants would flee before the Hun riders The way we would ride them down The way it felt to conquer alongside Attila and the Huns

    He leaned so close I could feel his breath 'Sometimes... I miss it'



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •