Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever done a Genesis mod similar to the Nintoaster?

Default Has anyone ever done a Genesis mod similar to the Nintoaster?

I recently came into possession of a 2nd model 3 Genesis. It's probably my 13th Genesis console (I really need to get rid of some of these) and I don't know what to do with it other than take the guts and throw it into an unrelated appliance. I just finished my first year at New England Tech for Electronics Engineering so some of the finer details might be beyond me, but I've got 6 weeks of nothing to do between classes so I figure why the hell not? Should be a fun project and I'll try to keep ya'll posted. The board is pretty damn small so I figure there's tons of stuff it'll fit into.I'll be checking thrift shops and the like for a "project box". Any ideas? Are there scans for a Genesis 3 mobo? The sticky only seems to have Model 2, 32X, and SCD diagrams.

*facepalm*

I guess that's a yes it's been done? In that case, sorry I asked? I'll leave you guys alone then.

Took 8+ months to get my account "verified" and an hour and a half to feel like I don't belong. :P <3 Sega-16
    Last edited by dballin; 05-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.

A Genesis Toaster? Can't say that I've seen one - not to say it isn't plausible.

A design concern that is immediate to me is the size of a Genesis cartridge in comparison to an NES cartridge when handling the spring loaded tray. You might need to consider the threshold of the toaster tray so that ejecting and interchanging games is not a monotonous task; in other words the cartridge slot would need to be shallow so that games are accessible.

If you cannot find any schematics, go out on a limb and hit up Richard DaLuz and just ask for some specs.

Here is some inspiration: http://home.howstuffworks.com/toaster1.htm, good luck.

Welcome to Sega 16!

I suggest you build it inside a "Furby"
    Then try to sell the console on ebay as "refurbished"

Comparing an NES to Genesis cart isn't that big of a difference. They're only slightly larger. I need to get some import games to see what they really need to be, but If I keep the Gen3 flaps, I should be good., If I'm not mistaken, they're large enough for import carts.

If you had a narrow model 2 (va3 & 4) i would have suggested that + sega cd in a portable cd/cassette player (since the carts are similar size to a cassette).
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Quote Originally Posted by dballin View Post
    I guess that's a yes it's been done? In that case, sorry I asked? I'll leave you guys alone then.

Took 8+ months to get my account "verified" and an hour and a half to feel like I don't belong. :P <3 Sega-16
    Wow, sensitive much? Of course it hasn't been done with a genesis, because it's kind of a dumb idea to begin with. The author of the nintoaster built a nintoaster and super nintoaster, people laughed, high fived, and really that should be the end of it. It's a silly mod that's fairly easy to do and won't gain you much respect unless you were the author of it. Do you really need instructions on how to specifically install a genesis into a toaster? Just watch the nintoaster instructional video the process isn't much different with a genesis there's nothing complicated at all about the mod. Even better, why not come up with a new type of mod? If you're going to do a silly casemod why not at least build it into something that a console hasn't been built inside of before?

Widening any cart flaps to fit import carts takes 5 minutes with a soldering iron, needle nose pliers, and maybe a dremel.

Maxwar: Wouldn't it be "refurbyshed" ?
    Last edited by Drakon; 05-23-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

a mega toaster ?
    sounds deranged but interesting if its using a classy toaster
    and you could play megadrive games in one err slot and master system games in the other
    Kitsune in a hat

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    a mega toaster ?
    and you could play megadrive games in one err slot and master system games in the other
    Now that's a cool idea. I also just realized these home built neptune systems you no longer get master system support.

At first when I read the thread title, I thought you where talking about modding a model 1, which is, hands down, the most good looking system of all time, but after reading your post I see you are talking about modding the uglier model 3...I say do it!.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    a mega toaster ?
    Yeah, call me a design snob but I love the look of appliances in art deco style, you could probably make a really sweet looking system if you found the right housing.

My advice would be to get the specs of board roughly, then start hitting thrifts and start looking around for inspiration in the old appliances.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Wow, sensitive much? Of course it hasn't been done with a genesis, because it's kind of a dumb idea to begin with. The author of the nintoaster built a nintoaster and super nintoaster, people laughed, high fived, and really that should be the end of it. It's a silly mod that's fairly easy to do and won't gain you much respect unless you were the author of it. Do you really need instructions on how to specifically install a genesis into a toaster? Just watch the nintoaster instructional video the process isn't much different with a genesis there's nothing complicated at all about the mod. Even better, why not come up with a new type of mod? If you're going to do a silly casemod why not at least build it into something that a console hasn't been built inside of before?

Widening any cart flaps to fit import carts takes 5 minutes with a soldering iron, needle nose pliers, and maybe a dremel.

Maxwar: Wouldn't it be "refurbyshed" ?
    I wasn't planning on putting it into a toaster actually. Maybe an old phone or something. "The board is pretty damn small so I figure there's tons of stuff it'll fit into." Did you read the op or just slam your fists on your keyboard after reading the title? I'm not looking to gain respect by shoving a console into something else lol. Just finished my first year at school (again in the op) and looking for something to do in my down time. That's all. I planned on doing more stuff to the console than relocate the innards. Probably S-vid mod, region switch, and whatever else I feel like doing which would consist of me looking up stuff that's already been done before. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Wildside Expert

drakon is probably 11, hence still obsessed with respect. pay no mind to it.

if you want to do something outrageous, stick it into a clothes iron. extra points for no modification to the case except a cart slot. psu is inside. mode selector selects region. something like that.

Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar

People have done toaster consoles with NES, SNES, and N64. I don't see why you shouldn't try it with the Genesis.

And that idea someone had with making a Genesis slot on one side and a Master System slot on the other is awesome!
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

Thread Information