Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Atari 2600 flash card?

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Default What is the best Atari 2600 flash card?

I did some googling and couldn't make heads or tails out of it, it seems there's a couple flashcards for the Atari 2600,
    but some aren't being made anymore, and some can only be flashed with roms ala the Tototek flashcards,

But I've also seen a pic of one with an SD card in the top, so.. I figured I'd just ask and hope that someone here
    knows exactly what's out there.

What's the best Atari 2600 flashcard out there? and where can I get it?

Don't play atari 2600,it is a garbage

SG-1000 is great!

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post

SG-1000 is great!

The best 2600 cart is probably the Harmony. It'll handle all commercial games, and nearly all homebrew. Download the manual from the link and read through it. It has its own forum on AtariAge, as well.

SG-1000 is great!
    I agree. Too bad its only sold in Asia.
    SEGA is the Messiah of Console Gaming.

In July 2013, Exactly 164 months after Dreamcast launched, something BIG will happen at SEGA. Which is "ORBI" the world.

All the NAYSAYERS will be silenced forever when Orbi get's its "Notice of Allowance".

http://trademarks.justia.com/855/17/orbi-85517235.html The Beginning. Officially published in the OG:

http://trademarks.justia.com/855/17/orbi-85517210.html July 2013. To the City and the World.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSega View Post
    I agree. Too bad its only sold in Asia.
    Get an SMS and a flash cart - then you can play SG-1000 games. It's too bad Sega took the TMS modes out of the VDP on the MD - SG-1000 games run, but you get no video.

Anywho, the Atari 2600 is a great, fun console as well. These days, all these old consoles are cheap enough that folks should just get them all. That's what I've been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Get an SMS and a flash cart - then you can play SG-1000 games. It's too bad Sega took the TMS modes out of the VDP on the MD - SG-1000 games run, but you get no video.

Anywho, the Atari 2600 is a great, fun console as well. These days, all these old consoles are cheap enough that folks should just get them all. That's what I've been doing.

2600 is still a great console. And has aged fantastically well some 35 years later. Adventure has withstood the test of Time for 1979 game and Ms. Pac Man is a brilliant port despite 2600's technical limits.

As for SMS, wasn't there like an early model that read SG-1000 and Master System flash ROM cards?

In July 2013, Exactly 164 months after Dreamcast launched, something BIG will happen at SEGA. Which is "ORBI" the world.

All the NAYSAYERS will be silenced forever when Orbi get's its "Notice of Allowance".

http://trademarks.justia.com/855/17/orbi-85517235.html The Beginning. Officially published in the OG:

http://trademarks.justia.com/855/17/orbi-85517210.html July 2013. To the City and the World.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSega View Post
    2600 is still a great console. And has aged fantastically well some 35 years later. Adventure has withstood the test of Time for 1979 game and Ms. Pac Man is a brilliant port despite 2600's technical limits.

As for SMS, wasn't there like an early model that read SG-1000 and Master System flash ROM cards?
    The Mark III?

http://segaretro.org/Sega_Mark_III

Not to flame but I find it kinda funny you call yourself Mr. Sega and you don't know this?!
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

I never had an Atari 2600, but lately I've been feeling this desire to experience it,
    I mean it did sell a shitload of consoles, so obviously there must be some great game experiences to be had.

Thanks for the recommendation Chilly! I'll get a Harmony then.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I had a desire to play 2600 as well. I've got a couple Jr systems and a large pile of good games. I love my 2600 games, such a great system. I recently got paddles too! I need a driving controller.

I agree with Chilly, but not on the harmony. Most 2600 carts are dirt cheap, it's easy to get the greats for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Most 2600 carts are dirt cheap, it's easy to get the greats for peanuts.
    Don't have the space for more carts, and unless they come complete in boxes (which they don't) I don't really see the point in owning loose carts.

(unless its Ghostbusters)
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 03-02-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David J. View Post
    The Mark III?

http://segaretro.org/Sega_Mark_III

Not to flame but I find it kinda funny you call yourself Mr. Sega and you don't know this?!

I wasn't talking about the original 1985 SG-1000 Mark III I was talking about the NTSC SMS ,not the 1987 brief Japanese rebrand and redesign model.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

The Harmony cart is fantastic, and I highly recommend it. Super-simple to use, supports the entire commercially released library AFAIK, very reasonably priced, and the developer/designer is very helpful. No other option is nearly as good, though a Supercharger would obviously be fun to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I had a desire to play 2600 as well. I've got a couple Jr systems and a large pile of good games. I love my 2600 games, such a great system. I recently got paddles too! I need a driving controller.

I agree with Chilly, but not on the harmony. Most 2600 carts are dirt cheap, it's easy to get the greats for peanuts.
    Ms. Pac Man, Sky Jinks, Adventure, Combat, Freeway, Ice Hockey. Some of the top of the line quality titles for 2600.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

SG-1000 is great!
    It's posts like this that makes me want to keep pushing for an "unrep" button. Long live the mighty VCS!

Thread Information