Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC problem.

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

Try ultimate windows linux boot disc and boot with it. The scan viruses and malware with linux desktop that looks like windows. You can do a lot administrative work with it.

Fortunatelly I had some malware day ago and for my self safe mode with networking was enough to kill all mallware and unnecessary startups and programs and my pc is again fast. I had a lot of programs registered to start in boot and killed most of them to gain lots of boot up time saving.

Used Easy cleaner to clean programs and start ups, then Add-aware to kill any malware left. Personally I don't know where these shit programs came from, I can image that some random pdf combine and pdf merge utilities did brought a lot of junk with them.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

Quick update, after the windows repair I got all of her folders, pics and whatnot back on track, but now I can't connect to the internet wtf ? the connection is showing and looks good but that's about it. Internet explorer keeps saying that it has encounter a problem and needs to close. What's the next step?

Quote Originally Posted by Segaedge View Post
    Quick update, after the windows repair I got all of her folders, pics and whatnot back on track, but now I can't connect to the internet wtf ? the connection is showing and looks good but that's about it. Internet explorer keeps saying that it has encounter a problem and needs to close. What's the next step?
    Probably still messed up from the virus.

Sounds like IE is messed up. This might become really difficult for you. Since the registry is likely already damaged, I think it's better to save the documents and re-install the system and applications. Format the partition with Windows Setup so your install will be completely from scratch (save your files first!). It'll just be faster.

Otherwise start hunting for the issue. Get Microsoft Security Essentials to do a complete scan. Try Windows Update.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Windows Update can help, System File Checker is a must as well. In Control Panel Internet options make sure there are no proxies left behind by the virus that would keep you from getting online. When viruses affect your ability to connect to the Internet they have gotten fairly far along, but the combo of System File Checker, Malwarebytes, Spybot and Windows Update usually does the trick. Trojan Remover is another good option if your Internet is affected especially. I haven't had to format and reinstall Windows on any client machine for years.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    1. Pull out HD
    2. bring home
    3. Put HDD in one of them USB toasters
    4. scan for viruses (might as well)
    5. scan HDD to see if its broken (might as well)
    6. copy granny's files to your own HD
    7. format HDD and partition into 2 parts (windows and personal storage)
    8. put granny's files in partition 2 (the personal storage)
    9. back to granny.
    10. Install Windows and set it up for her.
    I would stop screwing around with it and do a this. I don't mess around with viruses. I just reimage the drive. It's just not worth the time and hassle.

Internet explorer keeps saying that it has encounter a problem and needs to close. What's the next step?
    Install a different browser and verify that the computer can get online.

The problem with that approach is that "granny" will have to remember all of her log ins and passwords and will invariably lose pictures and other data. Hiren's boot disk is actually the same as plugging the hard drive into another XP machine, why not just use it? There is no reason not to. Since he can apparently get into Windows now there is absolutely no reason to mess with the hardware.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I just used Hiren'sboot cd to get into the internet explorer with her computer, but how do I go about fixing the remaining internet connection issue with it?.
    Last edited by Segaedge; 06-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Confirm the connection is at fault. I suspect IE, not the connection. Try Windows Update, accessing your router or an update of your antivirus software, that sort of thing, and see if it returns a network error. Is the computer going through a wired or wireless router or directly to the modem?

Does IE run under the OS or only through the boot disc?

You are in MiniXP with the Hiren's Boot disk right? You should just download and install Malwarebytes and Spybot and run it on the C drive (which you will have to manually mount or you won't see it). If you can boot into normal Windows in safe mode try to get on the Internet there, if that doesn't work download the installers for Malwarebytes and Spybot to a USB flash drive or burn them to a disk and install them on the computer.

You only need Hiren's if you can't get into Windows at all. Also, the first thing you should do if you can load into regular windows is open a command prompt and run system file checker by typing SFC /SCANNOW and hitting enter.

Death Adder's minion

If it's a virus cut your losses get your old files off (excluding virus) and just re install windows xp the pc and it will be a lot faster then it was before. Have you tried safe mode to be able to tell what the issue is? To fix internet issues you could try to re install the network card drivers and make sure it's not disabled in settings.

Thread Information