Quantcast

Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 4 (Official Thread)

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

invalid attachment skip
    Kitsune in a hat

Hero of Algol

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Microsoft and Sony were playing chicken over the DRM thing and Sony swerved, sending Microsoft speeding over an embankment and into a fiery crash.

They took a big risk hoping the industry would follow their nonsense and Sony gutted them for it. I get the argument that Average Joe™ may not care but I completely disagree. The criticism of it is all over every mainstream website.

Even die-hard Microsoft fans have nothing to say but, "yeah this sucks" or at the very best "I'll deal with it." When even your most rampant supporters can't defend your decisions you have a problem. Also, Microsoft handed Sony something to harp on and you bet your ass they're going to harp on it and make sure consumers know that Microsoft hates them.

Regardless I won't be buying either of these overpriced lumps of black plastic but I think Microsoft is finished in the video game console business if they don't admit their mistakes, bite the bullet and make some drastic changes. The PS4 and XBOX ONE are going to offer generally the same experience so you'd have to be out of your mind to go with the DRM crippled XBOX ONE.
    Last edited by Obviously; 06-11-2013 at 08:19 AM.

sony pretty much dealt with it

( yes somebody had to make that joke )
    Kitsune in a hat

wibble wibble mushroom Wildside Expert nemesis enforcer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I really like the PS4 design, sexiest looking console the market have seen in years, it reminds me to the even sexier X68000 XVI design:

it is !
    it does look like the X68000
    i always liked the design of those
    Kitsune in a hat

Its funny how "Sony won" just because Microsoft sucks so much right now. Buying used games and trading, or owning our games was a given since the start of the industry and now its a selling point for Sony all of a sudden (even Nintendo doesn't seem to bother advertising it). And because Microsoft sucks so much, Sony gets away with other things like online paywall. Its a step backwards from PS3 but nobody cares because its the lesser evil i guess.

We basically cheer for the one who sucks less. Sony won just because its opponent lowered the bar for them. I suppose Microsoft would "win" instead if the competition claimed that they will have snipers pointing at you and shoot if there was some kind of copyright infringement.

I really don't care for the "italic" or the xbone style mate/glossy, but damn, that 2 tower look is damn fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post
    Its funny how "Sony won" just because Microsoft sucks so much right now. Buying used games and trading, or owning our games was a given since the start of the industry and now its a selling point for Sony all of a sudden (even Nintendo doesn't seem to bother advertising it). And because Microsoft sucks so much, Sony gets away with other things like online paywall. Its a step backwards from PS3 but nobody cares because its the lesser evil i guess.

We basically cheer for the one who sucks less. Sony won just because its opponent lowered the bar for them. I suppose Microsoft would "win" instead if the competition claimed that they will have snipers pointing at you and shoot if there was some kind of copyright infringement.
    pretty much
    sony is the least evil

but sony also drew a line in the sand and said we are not going to go along with this drm bullshit
    we know how we can screw you over ms and how we can generatea mountain of goodwill and we will use every oppertunity to twist the knife

( i dont doubt for a second that if sony thougth they could get away with this drm bullshit they would but they havent and thats the point )
    Kitsune in a hat

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post

Kind of like how the United States votes for presidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    I really don't care for the "italic" or the xbone style mate/glossy, but damn, that 2 tower look is damn fine.
    Yes. It looks like something out of a 1980's sci-fi movie or anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    Kind of like how the United States votes for presidents.

Yes. It looks like something out of a 1980's sci-fi movie or anime.
    it has a kind of ps2 vibe doesnt it ?
    all right angles and squares
    Kitsune in a hat

wibble wibble mushroom Wildside Expert nemesis enforcer's Avatar

They both look kind of dull to me, one looks like a pc in a designer case and the other looks like a pc in a different designer case. Are curves out this year?

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

People forget history so quickly. Sony will only hold a pro-gamer stance as long as it suits them and not an instant longer. Remember backward compatibility? Remember the price of the PS2 in comparison to the Dreamcast at launch? Remember the price of the PS3? Remember Linux on PS3? Remember Lik-Sang? How long did it take them to get PSN working even remotely as well as Xbox Live?

Sure, they aren't going to go the DRM route, until they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post

Still can't give you rep, sooooooo....
    Last edited by sheath; 06-11-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    i wouldnt go that far
    its just that the alternative was so fucking awfull that all sony had to do was not be like microsoft

and that they did

and yes the news is good
    seems mr sega is the one with sour grapes though
    Sony still isn't stating if publishers can go the always on, lock out used games route. They are just stating that they are not going to make that the default.

As you mentioned, they didn't do anything spectacular, and had all this always on/used game stuff NOT been hovering around MS, the only real killer portion of their announcement was the price point. (Which I think they learned a harsh lesson on with the ps3).

I also think they were waiting for MS to release their price point first specifically so they could determine if they could undercut it, and if so, by how much.

Really, MS gave Sony the ammo, all they had to do was not release anything that made them look bad. They can ride the positive hype all the way to launch if they are smart.

For MS. I have to say, they either need publishers/studios to back them up and shun Sony, or tell them they are going to remove the DRM portion as a default. If they are going to let PS4 be "the same, but more open" and have all the same games... then the MS is letting themselves get shafted.

If MS is really smart, they will release an announcement quickly to "listen" to their customers and squash some of Sony's thunder before it can settle in.

At the end of the day, the only fight they should have to contend with is the price point. The policies that are causing a problem are nothing more than easy to change software settings.

Point to Sony... now It's up to MS to either step up or screw up.

Thread Information