Quantcast

Page 79 of 130 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1938

Thread: PlayStation 4 (Official Thread)

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I know it's gonna be the future and all that but I have to say that if games as a physical medium die then that'll be the end of console gaming and also the end for me playing modern games in that case. I just won't bother after my PS4 becomes obsolete. I'll just stick to my old Sega collection and enjoy Civilization 5 and Age of Empires 2 on my laptop until I'm eventually put out to pasture. I know I sound like a complete old fart at the ripe old age of 32 but seriously, the gaming world, and as I'm not technologically minded, the world in general, has just changed waaay too fucking much for me to keep up with and once consoles are done, I'm done.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

PS4's been cracked; hacker group "failoverflow" have managed to extend an earlier security breach into a full blown exploit, and have even managed to get their own customized Linux working on the machine:

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...the-linux-demo

Looks like the shit is about to hit the fan, piracy-wise.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 01-04-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Silly typo

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    PS4's been cracked; hacker group "failoverflow" have managed to extend an earlier security breach into a full blown exploit, and have even managed to get their own customized Linux working on the machine:

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...the-linux-demo

Looks like the shit is able to hit the fan, piracy-wise.
    Is it at all possible to make a hack that would allow to play PS4 games directly from the disc? Forget the updates. I'm thinking 15-20 years down the line when the PS4 is no longer supported. Or is the data on these discs in a format that is somehow rendered unplayable?

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Disc probably can't stream data into memory fast enough. Hard drives are used for a reason.

I doubt any kind of hack will allow a game to read straight from the disc, they've been designed to install on a HDD. I guess you could install then rip it, and then re-pack it on another disc, that might work.

But as Knuckle Duster pointed out, it might be too slow to be read from a disc. These games are massive in size, and that kind of loading would take a large strain on the laser. in 15-20 years time, I'd doubt any kind of PS4 could handle that.

Oh well. Didn't hurt to ask.

I figured, though, that games above 25GB will not really be able to play from a blu ray disc anyways.

I'm very close to getting a large external hard drive to accompany my Xbox One. That would be an easy fix for me. But with the PS4, I just can't see myself opting for anything smaller than a 6TB internal hard drive. That way I'd be covered for something like 100-120 games. So, do you guys think size will make a huge difference in terms of processing speed? I don't just mean if I now had a 6TB internal HDD for the PS4. I mean, if it was FULL?

P.S.> All this is hypothetical, of course. As the PS4 just doesn't yet support anything larger than 2TB. There are rumors, though, that the Nyko Databank has now come up with something of a "cartridge" that will allow 6TB support. I think it's bullshit, though. Here is the article: http://nyko.com/blogs/news/81188612-...wer-ps4-models

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

2TB limitations just have me thinking the PS4 is running a 32bit OS or something foolish like that.

Edit: I don't really see any info on the PS4 using BIOS or UEFI, or how it boots at all. I don't own a PS4, so I'm kinda lazy about knowing how the thing is set up.
    Last edited by Knuckle Duster; 01-05-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    Oh well. Didn't hurt to ask.

I figured, though, that games above 25GB will not really be able to play from a blu ray disc anyways.

I'm very close to getting a large external hard drive to accompany my Xbox One. That would be an easy fix for me. But with the PS4, I just can't see myself opting for anything smaller than a 6TB internal hard drive. That way I'd be covered for something like 100-120 games. So, do you guys think size will make a huge difference in terms of processing speed? I don't just mean if I now had a 6TB internal HDD for the PS4. I mean, if it was FULL?

P.S.> All this is hypothetical, of course. As the PS4 just doesn't yet support anything larger than 2TB. There are rumors, though, that the Nyko Databank has now come up with something of a "cartridge" that will allow 6TB support. I think it's bullshit, though. Here is the article: http://nyko.com/blogs/news/81188612-...wer-ps4-models
    I've really no idea, sorry. I know on the 360, my 250gb HDD when maxed out with games and demos etc, took quite a while to load, but I've no idea if the PS4 would be similar.

Also interesting tidbit from that recent hack; PS4's internal HDD is connected via USB, and not SATA like many believed. So Sony could easily include external HDD support. Why they won't, I've no clue. I'd least, maybe, if the system does get it's own Custom firmware like they did with the PS3, it might be possible through that. That or Sony decide to stop being idiots and just include support for them, either way would be fine with me.

This is a repost for Jackal and anyone else who've shown interest in my quest to upgrade my PS4 (and XBOX ONE) hard drives:

I chose to post it under the Tech Aid forum in case others in (and out of) sega-16 may need this aid. I went from a 500GB PS4 and a 500GB XBOX ONE to a 2TB PS4 and a 3TB XBOX ONE for under $200 (171.18, to be exact).

I just want to share an update on my quest to improve hard drive space on my PS4 (and the Xbox One, for that matter). I think this might help some folks who are still trying to do the same. Not necessarily because I'll be providing any new information that isn't already out there, but because I'll be compiling my reasoning behind the choices I made as well as the amount of info that is sporadically out there. But, again, this is but one way amidst many.

My starter systems:
    1. 500GB PS4
    2. 500GB XBOX ONE

After the HDD upgrade: ($171.18 for two 2TB drives)
    1. 2TB PS4
    2. 3TB XBOX ONE

My choices:
    First and foremost, although price wasn't an issue with me, the idea of spending half, or even more, than what the systems actually cost ($300-$350 each) wasn't too appealing to me. So, I went with the Seagate 2TB Backup Plus Slim for both systems. Why, it is the most commonly used drive for the PS4 I've encountered on my quest through the internet. It went for $79 plus tax at BestBuy. I'm sure it can go for much less elsewhere, but BestBuy not only gives me MyRewards credit towards my purchases, it also will refund my money with minimal hassle if need be. Another reason is that this was the first time I'd be using this drive, and the idea of breaking open a mail-order drive just didn't sit right with me. I needed an established brick and mortar store as a backup. Mind you, these are your regular HDDs. SSDs and SSHDs will cost more in 2.5" format; and, from what I've seen, I also considered the difference in performance negligible and/or acceptable to me. Besides, this is a better drive than the stock drive on both systems, so: Win-Win.

My reasons per console:

1. PS4:
    The PS4 firmware does not yet fully support anything larger than 2TB. Not because of the physical size of the hard drive (as Seagate also makes a very tempting 4TB Backup Plus for $120 that may even fit the PS4 without the need of the bulky Nyko Databank). Initially, I wanted to go with a Nyko Databank and upgrade my space to up to 8TB (currently the largest size commercially available for purchase as a single unit drive). But it was useless to even try this, since the PS4 wont support a hard drive larger than 2TB (and even Nyko warns you of it). No firmware support means that, even if you successfully upgrade your PS4 to anything larger than 2TB, there will be issues primarily when you enter "Rest Mode". This doesn't bother me specifically, but anything that makes my system choices not fully available to me makes me cringe at the idea.

I only collect hard copies, so downloadable titles are not part of my reasoning. So, as far as hard copy games go, I calculated the average PS4 game size to be around 40GB each (don't quote me on this. It's a fair estimate I gave myself considering how most games I own will go under that amount; and anything larger than that will be offset by titles like Shovel Knight and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons). Again, this is but a fair estimate that I gave myself with LOTS of room to maneuver based specifically on my PS4 hard copy collection (the actual average size of all my PS4 games I calculated to be 28.33 GB. That's based on 32 clamshells sitting on my shelf; some of which are compilations and include more than one game.

2. XBOX ONE:
    I initially also wanted to just go out and grab the largest external hard drive for the Xbox One. But I had two things to consider in terms of space: 1. The physical size of the hard drive and, 2. Will it need a power cable with an AC adapter on top of it? This narrowed my choices quite a bit; as I didn't really want to end up with yet another power cable (or AC adapter) on my wall. At the same time, I wanted something small that would also sit comfortably on its side, flat; not yet another computer tower that would take up the size of my XBOX ONE or even something larger. So, small and inconspicuous is what I opted for.

So then I came to my choices of storage. I considered from the start that, with the Xbox One, I didn't have to worry much about having to upgrade with just a single drive. There are a total of 3 USB 3.0 inputs on the system. If ever I need to improve on storage, all I have to do is plug in another one. I've noticed that the larger the drive, the more power it needs. So, the largest (in terms of data) I found that would fit my description and remain fully USB powered were the 4TB models. One in particular was the Backup Plus 4TB (of which there are two: 1. The newer, smaller 2.5"ish $130 single unit drive and, 2. the older, larger $120 drive "Fast" which is a RAID 0 of two seperate 2TB Samsung HDDs). The price for both of those was also ok. But from the reviews, it bothered me that the "Fast" version is known to constantly turn on by itself to search for updates on Xbox Live. At the same time, with an $80 2TB on one hand, the price was just right. Keep in mind, though, this would ultimately increase my HDD space by 2.5TB, as I'd be using the 500GB HDD from the PS4 on my XBOX ONE!

The Details:

STEP 1:Buy two 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim drives. The total: $171.18. One will remain closed in its enclosure and used ultimately on the Xbox One. The other, will be opened and used on the PS4.

STEP 2: Format one of the 2TB external drives in exFAT on your PC (the one you'll be using later for the XBox One) and then plug it into the PS4 to backup the entire PS4 HDD. WARNING!!! (DO NOT try the drive on the Xbox One yet! This will cause you to format it specifically for the Xbox One and you will have to go through some extra steps to reformat it). To do so, on your PS4 XMB go to Settings > System > Back Up and Restore > Back Up PS4. This will take about 3 hours if your HDD is full. So go play some games while you're at it. I played Fallout 3 on my PS3 in between, so time flew by fast. Also, before (or right after) you do this, make sure you "SYNC" all your trophies, as these are not transferable to your new HDD.

STEP 3: Create a PS4 firmware UPDATE file on a separate 1GB or larger USB drive. Make sure it is empty first, then create one folder named: PS4. Inside this "PS4" folder, create a second folder called: UPDATE.
    Then go to: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/su...m-updates/ps4/ and follow the instructions to perform a "FRESH INSTALL". Do not just download the latest 256MB firmware update. You have to follow the instructions for a full "Fresh Install"; which will be closer to just over 800MB. Download this PS4 Update file onto your PC and drag it over inside the USB folder you named "UPDATE".

STEP 4: Remove the 2TB HDD from the PS4 USB port. Turn the PS4 off. Unplug it and pop the lid open from the PS4 top (it will easily slide to the left), giving access to the HDD. Now remove the screw from the front-middle (newer Post August 2015 PS4 models) or the front-left (older pre-August 2015 PS4 models). Now remove the internal HDD with its metal enclosure from the PS4.

STEP 5: Remove the four screws from the metallic enclosure and set the 500GB PS4 HDD aside.

STEP 6: "Crack" open the second 2TB external HDD you bought (not the one you just backed up your PS4 data into ). The enclosure should be easy to open with just your finger nails. But if you need a flat headed screw driver or something of the sort, do so very gently, as you will be using this enclosure later on.

STEP 7: Gently peel off the metal foil from your brand new 2TB HDD and set aside for later use (I pre-formatted mine to exFAT also; but I don't think you even have to do this). Then unplug the USB 3.0 adapter and also set aside (pull it off gently, it should come off easily).

STEP 8: Put the new 2TB HDD into the PS4 metallic enclosure using the 4 screws and insert the HDD within the enclosure into the PS4. Place that front screw back on. Then plug the PS4 back on. Don't turn it on yet.

STEP 9: Insert the USB drive with the "PS4 > UPDATE" folders into which you have already dragged the "PS4 Update file" (should be more than 800MB) and turn on your PS4.

STEP 10: This will give you a brand new 2TB PS4. If you backed up your PS4 using that other 2TB drive, now it's the time to "RESTORE" your PS4. Unplug that USB drive with the update and insert the external 2TB drive with your old PS4 data. From the XMB menu, go to: Settings > System > Back Up and Restore > Restore PS4. This will take another 3 hours if your PS4 was full. So go play some Fallout 3 on your PS3 .

STEP 11: Voila! You now own a 2TB PS4. Log onto the PS network and sync those trophies back on. Your PS4 is exactly as it was before, except with more storage space.

BEFORE:

AFTER

STEP 12: Place that old 500GB drive inside the Seagate enclosure by reversing the steps you used to remove the 2TB one. Simply plug the USB 3.0 Adapter and wrap the metallic foil back on. Gently place it inside the enclosure and snap it shut. Now plug it onto a PC and reformat it to exFAT. Voila! Your brand new 500GB external HDD is ready for use on your XBOX ONE. I chose to peel-off the serial code from the back, as it no longer applies to the 500GB HDD inside and makes it feel like I simply bought a brand new enclosure for my 500GB HDD (which I did ). Now it looks brand new.

STEP 13: Now you have two external HDDs ready for use with your Xbox One. A 2TB HDD and a 500GB HDD. Remember you still have the PS4 data you backed up onto your new 2TB HDD. You may choose to reformat it to exFAT on your PC as well. Plug, ONE AT A TIME, each of the external hard drives onto the back of your Xbox One and, ONE AT A TIME, re-format them for use on your Xbox One for "Games and Data". I named each of them "2TB EXT" and "500GB EXT" to easily remember them. You may choose to start downloading your data at any time into any of the drives for your Xbox One.

STEP 14: Congratulations! Enjoy your new 2TB PS4 an your new 3TB Xbox One. And you didn't even spend $200.

Bump!

With the success of my PS4/XBONE HDD upgrade, now I'm trying to upgrade my PS3 from 250 to something larger (500GB or more). The problem is, I can't seem to be able to backup my PS3. It is not recognizing any of my external drives. Mind you, I've formatted both with FAT32. Heck, I've even tried to partition them to just 250GB in FAT32 format. They are USB 3.0, but I don't see why they wouldn't work at 2.0 speeds.

Any help would be most appreciated.

[EDIT]

I finally managed. The partition has to be done via a "gui" FAT32 formating tool online. Nothing else will work beyond 32GB. Also, this has to be done up to 1TB only. Just click on the picture as described on the page and you're set: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm

I decided to put my 500GB PS4 HDD on my PS3. I used my 250GB now as an external HDD for my Xbox 360. So, for $171.18, I upgraded all four of my systems: PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Before:
    PS3 = 250GB
    PS4 = 500GB
    Xbox 360 = 500GB
    Xbox One = 500GB

After:
    PS3 = 500GB
    PS4 = 2TB
    Xbox 360 = 750GB
    Xbox One = 2.5TB
    Last edited by QuickSciFi; 02-02-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Is there a single racing game on PS4 thats receiving scores higher than 7/10?
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

I finally managed. The partition has to be done via a "gui" FAT32 formating tool online. Nothing else will work beyond 32GB. Also, this has to be done up to 1TB only. Just click on the picture as described on the page and you're set: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm
    Microsoft put an arbitrary limit in Windows of 32GB when formatting drives to FAT32. This is mainly just to encourage people to use the more modern NTFS file system instead. Of course that is pretty useless if you want to back up stuff from a non-Microsoft system. There is no actual limit on the size a FAT32 partition can have, or at least none you're likely to hit any time soon, but you have to resort to third-party drive formatting tools to go over that 32GB limit. I usually just boot up a Linux system and use something like GParted to get the job done.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider View Post
    Is there a single racing game on PS4 thats receiving scores higher than 7/10?
    try driveclub. it's easily 8/10 today

Damn.

Lol. Just saw your image by right-clicking on it. It's the thought that counts brother. . Thanks

Thread Information