Quantcast

Thread: Sega Saturn issues

Death Adder's minion

Meh Sega Saturn issues

Recently I picked up a sega saturn model 1 with cables and a controller at a local goodwill for very cheap apon starting it the first time the date was wrong and I replaced the battery to keep the time. I also decided to get a copy of virtua fighter 2 on ebay to test the system with. So when I finally got everything in I found out that the Saturn would NOT read any of my discs normally the Saturn would go right to the cd player screen and stay there and do nothing, or say no disc, or say incompatible disc format. That is when I decided to do some googleing to look for answers and found many solution people have said before. I tried dusting out the system with air to no success, I unplugged the internal data cables and cleaned the ends to no success. I cleaned the laser itself with some air and a q-tip. I even tried using a cd player disc cleaner but the music would not load. Then I decided to try to adjust the POT on the laser assembly and the more clockwise I turned it the faster and more the disc would spin but it would not help it load. If I turned the pot to the left it would always say no disc in drive and go slower and slower and too much to the left and the disc would never spin. No matter what disc (music or games) I tried it would never load. Eventually I tried to use another optima laser I had laying around from my sega cd project... they both look identical and have the same data cable and the laser goes up and down when turned on, but the disc never would spin. So then I decided to put the original laser that at least sometimes spun into it again and cleaned it again with a q tip and alcohol. After doing that I got the game to load for the first time. I have never played it before to know how long it SHOULD take to load, but it seemed to take a long time. Everything loaded fine and I was able to play the game. Then I decided to put the top back on it and tried the disc again and it would not work no matter how many times I tried to restart it. Following this I waited awhile and came back to the project an hour later. Now every time I put the game it it always seems to load (slowly?) and it works. But it still will not read any music cds I put in it. I don't really need it to play music cds but I wonder why it doesn't work? Also does anyone know of a better solution that may be faster or more reliable than this? Thanks
    Last edited by Ozfer; 06-17-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Death Adder's minion

Update: I ever so slightly increased the POT on the drive and now it is reading all games and music cds first time and the games load very fast compared to before. I guess if this happens to anyone else start by giving the system a good cleaning then clean the laser itself and the contacts on the data wires inside. If that doesn't work slightly move the pot on the laser assembly to increase the power.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I don't know anything more to do than what you have, but it sounds like a launch model Saturn I have that won't spin disks even with a known good optical pickup in it. I can't get it to do anything that indicates life in the CD-Drive, but the power button and bios screen come on just fine.

I created a thread over at NFG forums hoping that somebody will come out with a solution.
    http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5107.0
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Death Adder's minion

So now as quickly as it started working its now not working well. Now the disc is only recognized 50% of the time. Any adjustment to the pot makes it worse and it makes strange noises when playing cds. Sometimes if it loads a game and is in a heavy loading part it makes access noises and then a loud cracking noise followed by the disc not spinning any more. Sometimes I can hear a loud cracking noise and then it keeps spinning. The thing has a mind of its own. One time it completely froze up at a loading screen and stopped trying to read the disc. Also it doesn't like to go to higher tracks on music cds. Maybe you could also try to increase the height of the spindle to get the laser to focus on the disc? That seems to be another popular fix online.
    Last edited by Ozfer; 06-17-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Death Adder's minion

Thank you for that on topic useful help.

Just be glad he didn't show you his SNES SFX overclock videos.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Ozfer View Post
    Thank you for that on topic useful help.
    It is more useful if you want people who can potentially help you to actually read what you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    LOL
    As soon as I opened the thread and saw this huge square of text I went: "meh, I really dont feel like reading this, lets go see what Drakon replied instead."
    That made my day.

Ok after having some fun there I actually went through the chore of reading.

You mention that it started working for the first time after you removed the case of the console. Now it is making weird noise and do not work well. Did you check if the case is not physically interfering with the mechanism?

Death Adder's minion

Now it seems to be working. Very finicky console. If you want me to do something different I'm new here please tell me. If you're just going to troll me don't post.

No one is trolling you bro.

You are simply likelier to get more and better responses from forum posts if you at least try to make some formatting and paragraphing in your posts.
    No one likes to read a wall of text. At least I dont.

Btw, on the other new laser that didn't work, did you check if it had an Anti-static solder spot?

My point was I'd be more inclined to read what you wrote if I wouldn't have to worry that if I lose my spot I'll never find it again and would have to start all over. As maxwar has just proven others who can potentially help you feel the same way.

If you don't want good help then just don't post. A lot of people post looking for help, when they don't hear what they want to hear they accuse the person of being a "troll".
    Last edited by Drakon; 06-17-2013 at 10:50 PM.

You actually are trolling him, now knock it off.

So, has anybody found a solution to this particular early model Saturn problem of not reading disks?

Thread Information