Quantcast

Thread: Sega CD Issues

Death Adder's minion

Meh Sega CD Issues

So I picked up a sega cd off ebay. I decided to take a chance with one of the "non tested" units so I kinda knew what I was getting into. When I got it in it looked fine and I hooked it up and it booted to the bios fine but it would NEVER recognize a disc . So then I went googleing to see what other people had to say about it and tried many things from cleaning the unit, and cleaning the laser, and replacing the original system battery, cleaning the pcb, cleaning the end connectors on the 2 systems I had tested it with (model 1 and 2) and cleaning the connectors on the sega cd, I tried reflowing old looking solder joints, I used a battery with the motor to confirm it was not dead, and tried cleaning all the connector cables, but not once could I get the disc to spin. The little red light always flashes a lot and the laser moves back and forth on the track if you place it away from the middle but it never even tries to load a game. It also seemed like there was yellowish good on the pcb and I removed that also. I have tried many of the other solutions people have posted online and my system seems to be having a different issue then most of them. Does anyone know anything else to try? Thanks

Yellowish goo? On the mainboard? Would be capacitors have leaked. Replace those (all the caps), failing that you may need a new laser.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Death Adder's minion

I tried a new laser and the yellow stuff wasn't from the capacitors it seemed like it was some stuff just hardened on the board.. maybe someone spilled something? I don't think I am ever going to get this working as now it doesn't even seem to turn on. If anyone needs parts for theirs I could offer stuff.

Thread Information