Quantcast

View Poll Results: Which 16-bit era system (or GBA) has the best game library?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sega Genesis

9 33.33%
  • Super Nintendo

4 14.81%
  • NEC Turbografx

1 3.70%
  • Game Boy Advance

1 3.70%
  • I love all classic 16-bit style gaming and can't choose!

12 44.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into the GBA - how does it stack up to Genesis/SNES?

Default Getting back into the GBA - how does it stack up to Genesis/SNES?

I just picked up a Gameboy Advance with Metroid Fusion and Super Mario Advance off of eBay. I had sold off my SP, along with all of my other gaming consoles and handhelds (except for my Lynx and PS3) with the rationale of cutting down on my collecting. However, I regret selling the SP as I think the GBA library is an awesome one. I also miss having a real handheld. I love my Lynx, but it's hardy portable.

While pondering whether or not to get back into collecting for a system, I was evaluating the quality of the GBA's library. The thought occurred to me that it may be better than either the SNES or Genesis. It got an awful lot of support from all of the major developers (including Sega) and has in the neighborhood of a thousand games (bigger than the Genesis and SNES?).

I've always been a Genesis guy, and have never been a big fan of the SNES, but I recognize the quality of its library as well. The GBA seems to have the best of both worlds, with a good representation of classic Mario games (SMB 2, SMB 3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island) and newer Sonic (Sonic Advance 1, 2 & 3, which I consider to be the best Sonic games outside of the original 3 on the Genesis), some great strategy games, RPGs, action, etc. It's a little light on shmups (which is a favorite of mine), but it does have a handful of good ones as well (Gradius Galaxies, R-Type III Third Lightning, Iridion 2).

I've always thought of the GBA as the equivalent of the 16-bit era consoles. It may have a bit more power (for example, Doom Advance is much better than anything that could be done on the Genny or SNES), but it is comparable in the look of its graphics and the styles of (mostly) 2-D gaming.

So what do you think? Where does the GBA library stand in relation to the two great 16-bit consoles? I put this in a poll, but feel free to discuss (I put the Turbografx in the poll to be fair, as it is a contemporary of the Genesis and SNES, sort of the bastard stepchild of its time). I'm not quite sure if it's better than the Genesis library, but it is certainly close.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

i always thougth the gba was 32 bit

anyway its the last truly great all 2d portable machine ( the DS is great in its own way but the touch screen is still a gimmick ) as well as the last gameboy
    it has a fuck load of games and the machine and the games cost next to nothing these days
    truly an amazing system

and it really blows both the snes and the megadrive out of the water and is one fo th ebest choiches you coudl make for portable retro gaming

in so far as portabel gaming goes only the psp and DS are better
    Kitsune in a hat

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    i always thougth the gba was 32 bit

anyway its the last truly great all 2d portable machine ( the DS is great in its own way but the touch screen is still a gimmick ) as well as the last gameboy
    it has a fuck load of games and the machine and the games cost next to nothing these days
    truly an amazing system

and it really blows both the snes and the megadrive out of the water and is one fo th ebest choiches you coudl make for portable retro gaming

in so far as portabel gaming goes only the psp and DS are better
    I'm not using 16-bit in the strict sense. The Turbgrafx has an 8-bit CPU, I believe, so some consider it an 8-bit machine. We tend to identify that generation of machines as the 16-bit ones, so I'm using that nomenclature. As I said, the GBA is, in my mind, equivalent with that era of machines due to the look of the graphics and style of the game play. I believe it is a 32-bit machine, but that doesn't really matter for this thread.

I didn't include the DS and PSP because they have a lot of 3D, polygonal gaming (even though they are perfectly capable of 2D games and have good libraries for 2D). They are, in my grouping, outside of the 16-bit style of consoles (in which I'm including the GBA).

I enjoyed both the PSP and DS, although i was a bigger fan of the PSP. I loved that big screen. And the Sega collection on it was awesome, as was the Metal Slug collection. It was also a damn capable 3d consoles, whereas the DS was mediocre for 3D at best.

But I digress. And I totally agree with you. The GBA was the last truly great 2D portable machine, which is what set my mind to thinking about how it stacks up to the Genesis, and then the SNES.

thats why i said 2D

in so far as how it stacks up to the snes and megadrive i think it damn near blows both out of the water
    not only does it have a lot of updated snes titles and sequel but it also has the best odf both worlds

snes revamps
    nintendo first party titles
    and sega titles on one machine ?

how can i not like that ?

im not too thrilled about the sp's form factor though

i think its too small and cramped and becomes uncomfortable to hold after a while
    the orginal gba with a backlight that would be my perfect gba ( or a ds lite )
    Kitsune in a hat

thats why i said 2D

in so far as how it stacks up to the snes and megadrive i think it damn near blows both out of the water
    not only does it have a lot of updated snes titles and sequel but it also has the best odf both worlds

snes revamps
    nintendo first party titles
    and sega titles on one machine ?

how can i not like that ?

im not too thrilled about the sp's form factor though

i think its too small and cramped and becomes uncomfortable to hold after a while
    the orginal gba with a backlight that would be my perfect gba ( or a ds lite )
    I agree; I bought an original GBA for this reason. I like the form factor much better, as it fits better in my hand. I definitely miss the backlight, and may get an SP as well at some point, but for comfort, the original GBA is far superior. I also like the bigger screen. The further I get into my 40s, the less I can tolerate smaller screens I even like the look of the GBA unit itself. I thought it looked cool when it came out, and still do. It's a sweet looking handheld. The SP, while nice looking, is a bit plain in the styling department. It is nice that it folds up and protects the screen, though.

ever tried the micro ?

its amazingly small almost painfully small but that screen
    it might be smal but its razor razor sharp its almost as good as a DS lite screen

because of the form factor and the back light i tend to use a Ds lite for gba gaming ( best of both worlds really )
    Kitsune in a hat

The lack of a quality Shinobi game on the GBA gets a big no thanks from me. Still a lovely system. Can't forget about all of those sexy Castlevania games, plus the awesome ports of the NES originals, Legend of Zelda etc.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

ever tried the micro ?

its amazingly small almost painfully small but that screen
    it might be smal but its razor razor sharp its almost as good as a DS lite screen

because of the form factor and the back light i tend to use a Ds lite for gba gaming ( best of both worlds really )
    I think the Micro is massively cool, but the last time I tried one, my vision was a touch sharper I have a feeling it would be a bit on the small side for me now. The DS is a good option, but I sold that off in my "big gaming sellof" It is more comfortable to hold than the SP, but I might end up getting a backlit SP at some point (which gives a screen closer to the DS, but still gives me that portable form factor).

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    The lack of a quality Shinobi game on the GBA gets a big no thanks from me. Still a lovely system. Can't forget about all of those sexy Castlevania games, plus the awesome ports of the NES originals, Legend of Zelda etc.
    I enjoyed the Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance (hope I got the titles correct; I get confused between these and the DS games), but didn't like Circle of the Moon. There's also the Metroid games; I like Fusion, but haven't played Zero Mission.

One of my favorite games on the system is Super Monkey Ball Jr. It's the best rendition of this franchise, IMHO. And naturally, I love Advance Wars. Best turn based strategy game ever...

SNES for me. Great rpgs, super metroid, zelda link to the past, mario world, ninja warriors, tmnt, contra, starfox, doremi fantasy. To me the snes library has win games in almost every category.

I just replaced the case on my gba sp with a 6$ ebay replacement. It was a lot of work and complicated but it's worth the effort for a 6$ brand spanking new case. Most gba originals are too new style for my taste, excluding astro boy omega factor.
    Last edited by Drakon; 07-04-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Library is on par I'd say.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

The poll conveniently listed them in quality order from best to worst (assuming CD libraries are included).

To me, re-releases of games I love (like Yoshi's Island on GBA) aren't much of a positive for that system if the port is worse than the original.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

GBA is 32bit

You can't go wrong with the GBA, though. Not only can you play GB and GBC games on it, but it's got a slew of awesome titles going for it. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance alone is worth picking it up.

I think the stacks of Genesis/Mega drive stuff would be larger and overall more neat to see, compared to the miniature stacks you would have with the GBA.
    But in terms of games the GBA wins this in my category.
    And the DS/DS Lite beats the GBA.
    I would recommend Either of the DS's AND a Good Model 2 Sp(the light on these is way better)
    With the DS and a R-4 you can play Retro systems on the go+ DS Roms+ DS homebrew.
    Its a little tricky to get GBA Roms to work on a DS.
    So I just use the real deal.
    You really cant go wrong with the GBA.
    I still need to get a GC with a GBA player, even though I don't really need it.
    For me, its the ONLY real reason to want a GC.
    You really cant go wrong with the game line up for the GBA.
    And if you cant find some games you like for it, you don't like games im afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Segadream View Post
    I think the stacks of Genesis/Mega drive stuff would be larger and overall more neat to see, compared to the miniature stacks you would have with the GBA.
    But in terms of games the GBA wins this in my category.
    And the DS/DS Lite beats the GBA.
    I would recommend Either of the DS's AND a Good Model 2 Sp(the light on these is way better)
    With the DS and a R-4 you can play Retro systems on the go+ DS Roms+ DS homebrew.
    Its a little tricky to get GBA Roms to work on a DS.
    So I just use the real deal.
    You really cant go wrong with the GBA.
    I still need to get a GC with a GBA player, even though I don't really need it.
    For me, its the ONLY real reason to want a GC.
    You really cant go wrong with the game line up for the GBA.
    And if you cant find some games you like for it, you don't like games im afraid.
    I've pondered getting a GC just to use the gameboy player. The upcoming Retron also intrigues me because of its ability to play GBA games through an HDMI connection. I'll have to wait and see what the reviews say about the emulation. The idea is cool, however. One of the reasons I always loved the turbografx is because of its ability to play the games on a console or a handheld (the express). Having that functionality with the GBA would be most cool. The Nomad gave you that capability with the Genesis, but I was never a huge fan of the screen.

I will likely buy some kind of backlit solution for GBA games, assuming I get into it enough, probably the AGS-101 SP.

why not a ds lite ?
    it has back light plays gba games and is the rigth form factor

only thing holding the ds lite back is no support for gbc games but thats off set with full acces to the Ds library
    Kitsune in a hat

Thread Information