Quantcast

Thread: Tidy Switch Installation - Help?

Sports Talker

Default Tidy Switch Installation - Help?

So, I need a bit of help here, folks. I'm going to be installing a set of paddle switches that I picked up on eBay. I figured since I was having trouble finding some good DPST slide switches that could be more easily blended into the side of the case, I might as well go with something that's roughly period accurate.

These switches will most likely sit on the top of the console, and I need some input on how best to install them to make them look good - as close to a "factory" install as possible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270726670167...84.m1439.l2649

I prefer to use Toggle switch as they are ultra easy to install and make to look clean. Just drill a hole and you are set. They also wont let dirt and dust in.

With those here you will need to cut beautiful square holes, I hope you have a drill and/or Dremel, a good set of needle files and some patience.

Those are also made to be soldered to a board. You will also need to find a way to fix them so they hold in place.
    You could use Epoxy dough maybe.

EDIT: Also, btw, why did you get DPST switches????? I find them pretty much useless, just get either SPST or DPDT
    Last edited by MaxWar; 07-15-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Sports Talker

Thanks Max, that's handy to know. I had thought about the hole I'd have to make for them, and I have a currently non-functional Dremel, so we'll see what happens. I'll probably get a cheap Sears rotary tool or something for the job. I'm not a fan of the toggle switches just because of the look they have.

I'll do some research on other options like seeing if I can find some better slide switches, otherwise do what I can for the paddles. I should be able to use some JB Weld, that's a good idea I hadn't even thought of. Thanks!

I think toggle switch look badass

also, look I added a small edit to my previous post.

Sports Talker

DPST because I wanted to use them (or, well, just one, anyway) to change the LED color for when I overclock. I got dual color Red/Blue LEDs for that job.

Toggle switches in the right way look awesome, like they have in the Mini Cooper console, or like they had in the Apollo capsules, with those little half rings separating them

Actually, looking by the picture, they look like DPDT. Are there DPST with 6 pins??

Sports Talker

No, it's definitely DPST - as described in the wiki article (I had to check myself) they're equivalent to two SPST switches just tied together.

Those are my favourite console modding switches.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/400528822827?...84.m1423.l2649

Thread Information