Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro Guide: S-Video mod tutorial for the Sega Genesis Model 1

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Genesis Retro Guide: S-Video mod tutorial for the Sega Genesis Model 1

Alright guys, after a few hours in the works. I finally finished my tutorial video on how to give S-Video to your model 1 genesis!

This tutorial video is mainly to those who are new to the mod, not looking to see the mod merge with another, have already done the mod but forgotten, and want a clear demonstration of it.

Tools Required:

-Drill/dremel
    -Cross head screwdriver
    -Soldering Iron
    -Solder
    --Cables (Highly recommend 28 gauge cables for better handle. You can find the same wires I used here,)
    http://www.jameco.com/shop/StoreCata...8+gauge+cables
    -Chassis Mount S-video Jack (You can get the gold ones I use or standard ones here.)
    https://console5.com/store/parts/av-jacks-1.html
    -27ohm 1/4 watt Resistor
    -75ohm 1/4 watt Resistor
    -220uf Electrolytic Capacitor
    -2N3904 Transistor (Or similar)

So first using your screwdriver, open up your Sega Genesis from below by removing the 6 screws and then remove the screws that are holding down the top metal shield plate. Make sure to keep track of the screws you remove.
    With the top shell of your Sega Genesis, using your drill or dremel. Locate the desired area you want to set the s-video jack in the top shell and make the proper hole size to which the s-video jack can fit in with no struggle.

After that, locate your video encoder: SONY CXA1145.

Now below is the diagram of the entire mod. (MAKE SURE TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF TRANSISTOR YOUR USING & FINDING THE DATA OF ALL 3 LEGS)

WARNING: KEEP IN MIND, ALL VIDEO CHIPS DON'T FACE THE SAME AREA. SOME MAY FACE TOWARDS THE CARTRIDGE SLOT WHILE OTHERS FACE AWAY FROM THE CARTRIDGE SLOT.

Lucky you if you get one facing the cartridge slot as it's easier to solder around with since there's no caps in the way.

Let me just quickly say that getting full color, sharp signal in total can be pretty picky when it comes to modding your model 1 for s-video but after modding countless model 1s. I found the areas where you bound get the full signal, 98% of the time.

BE AWARE!, chroma provides the color, so you might get different results in color depending where exactly you get your VCC for your transistor. For example, if you got your VCC from a cap on it's 'positive' leg. the colors on the game might look washed out or even be on black & white. The best area from my experience is on the regulator leg marked '2' which provides VCC.

When soldering your wire to leg 2 of the regulator, make sure to it put behind the regulator so you can properly place back your metal heat sink.

Depending where you get your GND too can also lead to color bleeding. From my experience, best area to get GND for the s-video jack and guarantee NO color bleeding, are on the 3 capacitors nearby the CPU labeled, '47uF 16V'.

Now that you know the best places to get your VCC and GND, let's start working on our s-video jack.

Since the s-video jack has all 4 of it's legs pretty dam close to each other. What I do is get something sharp like a pocket knife and place it between the top and bottom legs.
    You have NO IDEA how much easier this makes it to solder on the s-video jack.

Also, rather than soldering your cables directly to the s-video jack. Just to avoid the annoying hassle of any of them possible snapping off. Get 4 small wires and solder them to the legs of the s-video jack

Really try and match the color cable when doing so to avoid confusion when getting ready to set the s-video jack inside the system.

My quick show of the S-Video

If your curious since the hot glue is in the way, the yellow wire is soldered to pin 15 and the orange wire is soldered to pin 16

GND for the s-video is being taken by one of the 47uF caps.

Finish up by wiring the rest of your color to color cables, then go and test your model 1 to see if you got a clear, colorful signal.
    Once you see it working with no issues, wrap the exposed soldered spots of the 4 cables with electrical tape or dab hot glue on them to prevent interference.

Screw your system back close with the screws you removed and done!

Here are 2 more model 1s I worked on for s-video as well.

1st one,

2nd one,

RESULTS, taken by camera and yet you can still see how clearer s-video is.

For more Sega Genesis model - 1 modding tutorials, please visit the following link below.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ding-Tutorials
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 01-27-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Your wiring to the encoder looks pretty chintzy, what I would suggest doing (and what I've done for all my Genny S-video mods) is building the components around the encoder. For example, you can solder the base pin of the transistor directly to the luma pin of the CXA1145 and then bend the collector leg onto pin 19, which happens to be 5V. You can do the same thing for the cap and resistor for chroma. Doing all this simplifies things and reduces potential interference.

I appreciate your thoughts on that tho like I said on the video. That board you see up there is an old genesis model 1 board that I use to test stuff with.(surprise it still works actually) It's basically my guinea pig to try out new mods before I do them on my actual Genesis just in case I failed to follow something. I know I can solder under the CXA143P chip and make a much professional installment to it or the way you said.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    I know I can solder under the CXA143P chip
    You wouldn't want to do that as that's the audio preamp chip.

^Well then I'm glad I'm showing the work from the chip itself and not the bottom. :P

I did this mod on a Genesis model 2 but I lack an S-video cable to test it but it seems once I have the mod hooked up there is no Composite output at all, is this supposed to happen when you have S-video? I have a Sony encoder so it does output S-video and am tapping the legs of 15 and 16. I notice if I remove or not power the transistor the Composite works and I have the correct legs on the transistor wired. Any idea or help would be grateful.

Using this for reference as it has served me for other mods:

Quote Originally Posted by Helder View Post
    I did this mod on a Genesis model 2 but I lack an S-video cable to test it but it seems once I have the mod hooked up there is no Composite output at all, is this supposed to happen when you have S-video? I have a Sony encoder so it does output S-video and am tapping the legs of 15 and 16. I notice if I remove or not power the transistor the Composite works and I have the correct legs on the transistor wired. Any idea or help would be grateful.
    If the mod is done correctly, you should have S-video (Luma/Chroma) and Composite video too. Where are you tapping the +5V for the transistor and which transistor are you using (make sure to have Base/collector and Emiter wired properly). Unlike what Thunderblaze recommends, tap the 5V from the video encoder itself (pin 12 or 19) and GND from pin 1 or 24.
    Last edited by Segaedge; 07-01-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Segaedge View Post
    If the mod is done correctly, you should have S-video (Luma/Chroma) and Composite video too. Where are you tapping the +5V for the transistor and which transistor are you using (make sure to have Base/collector and Emiter wired properly). Unlike what Thunderblaze recommends, tap the 5V from the video encoder itself (pin 12 or 19) and GND from pin 1 or 24.
    I'm using an NPN transistor wired correctly with the 2309 and the C945 and I'm aware they're not pin compatible. I have 5v from pin 19 and GND from 24, so not sure what's wrong.

I'm using an NPN transistor wired correctly with the 2309 and the C945 and I'm aware they're not pin compatible. I have 5v from pin 19 and GND from 24, so not sure what's wrong.
    Is there any chance of a quick pic to see what you have going?. What is a 2309?

Whoops I meant 3904 transistor it was really late at night when I typed that. Anyways I used my board for S-Video first and then just free wired it to the resistor which would go to the output. I'm using the 3904 transistor in these photos so 5v would be the middle pin as it is per the datasheet: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/datasheets/A-111.pdf

I'm using the 3904 transistor in these photos so 5v would be the middle pin as it is per the datasheet: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/datasheets/A-111.pdf
    Looks like that's your problem right there. Luma (CXA1145 pin 16) should be in the Base of the transistor, middle leg.

This is why there should be schematics or atleast labels with the legs. The NTE85 and C945 (which I also used) have exact same pin out and looking at the picture above I see that the Luma output is going to the Emitter and pin 16 is going to the Collector and 5v is going to the Base. Is that what it's supposed to be? because this is giving me the no video, but you're saying the Base goes to pin 16 so where do the other connections go to?

They usually don't have the same pinout.

This is the common 2SC945 pinout:

And the 2N3904:

But if you already wired a C945 with this pinout, like seen on your pics, then you had it right. Also, when you said you dont get composite video, do you mean out of the 9 mini pin Av port?
    Last edited by Segaedge; 07-02-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Yes I meant the AV socket, anyways you helped me figure out the problem. I put the silk screen on the pcb to match the C945/NTE85 but the wiring was that of the 2N3904 so all is good now but the image in original post should state which leg is what. Thanks.

Whoops I meant 3904 transistor it was really late at night when I typed that. Anyways I used my board for S-Video first and then just free wired it to the resistor which would go to the output. I'm using the 3904 transistor in these photos so 5v would be the middle pin as it is per the datasheet: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/datasheets/A-111.pdf
    That's a cool little board! Where did you get it?
    My Setup

no substitute for REAL hardware

Thread Information