Quantcast

Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145
Results 2,161 to 2,173 of 2173

Thread: Ask general Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32X questions here (for new members)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hi guys !
    My CDX is faulty and I'd like to have some help because I'm stuck right now ...
    The problem is that when booting the CD part, I see the planet but it's not going further, nothing is moving, no Sega CD stuff, it's just stuck ...
    The Genesis cartridge part is just working great on his side. I also tried to boot the CD player by putting 2 batteries inside and it's playing audio CDs with no issue.
    What I've done so far :
    - I replaced all capacitors on each boards -> No improvement
    - I replaced the battery soldered on the board (Z1) -> No improvement
    - I reworked solders from 315-5860 and 315-5632 using flux and fresh solder -> No improvement
    - I checked for continuity for each pins that connects main board and CD board to make sure that each board are connected together as expected ...
    - I tried to boot CDX bios using an Everdrive, I got the same result : CD screen stuck at the beginning !

So I'm stuck right now, is there something I should check first now ? Is there a king of debug bios allowing to had clue on what part of the bios boot process is failing ?
    Thanks for your help, I'm dying to make this CDX to work, I was so happy to get one, but repairing it is turning into a nightmare

I have a short after the 7805 regulator on the output and ground somewhere-removed regulator and probed. No power at all, but power jack and D2 get hot (d2 tested good) when power is connected. Tested power LED and it is working. Also checked for proper function of power switch. Appreciate any help- just cant bring myself to toss in trash. D2 gets very hot as

EDIT: Looks like it has the Samsung KA2195D.

Last edited by HotPotato; 01-27-2020 at 12:28 AM.

I "successfully" modded my Genesis 3 to work with SMS games. Most games work without any glitches or issues; others, like Wonder Boy 3, shown here, display issues as if the cartridge isn't being read correctly, even running a cleanly dumped ROM off a Mega Everdrive X5.Additional games that have issues: Master of Darkness (doesn't boot), Aladdin (boots but has graphical corruption)

Additional details:

+These same games that I listed as having issues work flawlessly on my Genesis 2 using the same Everdrive.

+I only soldered the one wire listed as being necessary for SMS compatibility; I did not attempt to restore Mega SD, 32X, Virtua Racing, or Game Genie compatibility.

Any ideas as to what's causing these glitches?
    Last edited by EmKIronFist; 03-20-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training laguigne30's Avatar

Hello,
    I'm looking for a software to decode and encode the .FMV videos of a MEGA-CD game. This in order to add subtitles. Someone would have a solution.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroXIII View Post
    Hi, I have a rather odd problem with my Model 1 Sega Genesis (Non-hd if that changes things). It functions fine at all other times but if you try using a Master System controller (Genesis controllers work just fine) it acts as though the down button is being held. It's not the power base converter or the controllers since I tested them on a friend's Genesis and it all worked just fine. Opened it up and nothing appeared to be wrong
    Still having this problem, just thought I'd see if anyone turned up lately...

Dirty contacts on the Genesis?

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Dirty contacts on the Genesis?
    Possibly, although genesis controllers work just fine. If so how would I clean them? Would compressed air be enough, or would I have to take it apart again?

Genesis

EDIT: delete
    Last edited by Cargo; 06-01-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Hello, fellow SEGA fans.
    I recently got a Sega Genesis Model 1. It's a VA2. I've been trying lots of things to get it working because it sort of does, yet sort of doesn't. I cleaned the cartridges and slot, but that didn't fix it. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I think it might be a bad IC... I've recapped the console, changed the voltage regulators and thermal paste, replaced the two 32k x 8 pseudo SRAM chips, and the Z80. None of these things have fixed the problem. I even changed the caps on my cartridges. Can anyone help me out?

Here's a video to show the best example of what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHFZ...ature=youtu.be

Genesis

Hello everyone! I bought a used Mega Drive like two years ago, and I was very surprised when I did a little research on what model it is. I was expecting a normal PAL Mega Drive, but turns out its an Asian PAL model. I got interested in turning it back to its Japanese spec, but it seems to be modified differently than the others I've seen online. If anyone could help me with the "restoration", I would be thankful.

So here are a couple of pictures:
    A cut trace, and a blob of solder on the jumpers: https://i.imgur.com/LnN4nlL.jpg
    An additional oscillator, and a missing SMD resistor/capacitor/something else: https://i.imgur.com/5WsTywo.jpg Does this override the original oscillator automatically, or has it been disabled somehow?
    What's this resistor for (it's near the DIN video port) and should it be there? https://i.imgur.com/yp4LPVD.jpg Also, the solder on voltage regulators seems hand soldered (or is it because the components run hot?)

I am very willing to take more pictures of the board if needed, these photos are ones I had taken some time ago since I've had the plan to get this Mega Drive up and running for like two years now.

Hi. My Genesis 3 VA2 seemingly does not want to play any games requiring 32mbit. I'm doing most of my testing with a MegaSD, but I can verify that works adequately using my Analogue Mega SG. The only cart I have currently is NBA JAM (16mb), which works fine.

I modded this console with the triple bypass board (recapped and replaced the voltage regulator too)but didn't any 32mbit games beforehand. I've tested with and without the Virtua-Racing/Game-Genie patch wires (https://www.retrorgb.com/genesis3.html) in case that made a difference (it didn't). I've cleaned the cartidge slot with IPA as well as deoxit, and reflowed all the pins on the pcb. I toned out what I think are the higher address lines, B7 through B11 (https://cdn.retrorgb.com/wp-content/...t-1024x348.png) and they reach the 315-6123. I tried the GenTestv2.4 Test Rom and it verifies the memory the same as my Mega SG, though neither complete the 68k ram for some reason. They stop at $FFFFE2/$FFFFFF but don't show an error.

Some 32mbit games don't boot outright. Others throw errors, though they're not static between retries (tanglewood shown in red, and MK3 shown in blue). Hopefully someone will find them helpful to debug this: https://imgur.com/a/vo4Qk7n

Slam Masters did something interesting too, alternating between the boot screen and errors (presumably boot looping): https://youtu.be/Z-Y1YotMn7k

Any ideas? Happy to photo anything, test anything, re-test anything, reflow anything, scope anything, replace anything. Just not sure where to look next...

Sega CDX problem. Friend sent it to me to look at. Looked like it was corroded from batteries. Cleaned up the corrosion. Didn't see any bad traces. Recapped all boards. Hitting the play button with the Genesis side off will cause the laser sled to move and disc to spin but not read a disc. (Figure weak laser or needs tuned). Genesis side will not power on at all. Does anyone know what the voltages should be on the pins from the power supply board with nothing else attached. Using a 9V bench supply so itís not under powered. I see 5.2V on some pins when not connected. But those drop to near 0V when supply board is plugged into the rest of the system. I checked resistance on the power bypass cap and got ~350 ohms. Any thing else I should look for? Does the board have the ability to shut off the 5V rail and signal for it to turn on? Thanks for any advice.

Bought a job of Mega Drives, all worked but one took it apart and looks like a dry joint below letters "IC2" I think (will add photos later) Gets power, and theres a reaction on screen, led comes on, and my flashcart led comes on to.

No audio or picture.

Also a rgb modded Master System 2, has a really good mod job done on it and no visible scrapes or issues, but I only get audio output.

Will add photos once my phone is charged.

Any ideas before that?

Thread Information