Quantcast

Page 33 of 145 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask general Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32X questions here (for new members)

battery head Sports Talker tetrode kink's Avatar

Same Here...

I've got an old Nomad that does the same thing: Only b&w from the AV Out. The LCD is gone (as is when I got it) so I never knew if it was b&w on the LCD too.

Wonder if it's related...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hey quick question. Will the light gun that comes with the sega cd version of lethal enforcers work with the genesis cart version of that game ?

Real Gamers Wear Monocles Master of Shinobi mick_aka's Avatar

Quick answer: Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSega
    When I speculate, I post sources to back up my claims.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Region-mod question here. One of my 3 Model 2 Geneses has a board with this layout:
    I'm looking to region-mod it to play Japanese MegaDrive games(already widened the cartridge slot), but all the information I find is of no use for this board layout. There's a weird chip glued in place above the Yamaha YM2612 right next to the Sega chip, which is labeled Sega 315-5786(here's a closeup: ). I don't know what's the purpose of that chip and Pin 107 of the 315-5786 chip passes under the YM2612 and I have no idea where it leads to. This is a PC BD MD2 VA2 USA board.
    Last edited by Ace; 06-02-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

VA2 Genny2 is not Pin107 mod compatible AFAIK.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Then what would I have to do to region-mod this thing? Does that weird chip next to the Sega 315-5786 and Yamaha YM2612 have something to do with region code?

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

In addition to my regular Genesis 2, I also have a Genesis 1 that came with the Sega CD 2 when I got the SCD a couple of years ago. The Genesis 2 and Sega CD 2 work fine and I use them together, but the Genesis 1 doesn't work.

It's kind of odd, really. The SCD came with some save files on the system memory, so the system had obviously been plugged in and used. But it doesn't work with this Genesis, and didn't come with controllers (that's okay, already had some) or power supplies (well, it came with one, but you need two for that setup...). I now have two Gen1/SCD power supplies and a Gen2/32X power supply, though.

So yeah... broken Genesis, with no power supplies, with working Sega CD that had save files on it. Odd. But on the broken Genesis... it's a model 1, as I said. When you plug it in and attach it to a TV (via RFU of course, I don't have Gen1 AV cables) and turn it on, the light on the front of the system goes on. Okay. There's no picture, though. There's also no sound, but there is a hiss from the speakers or headphones (if you have headphones plugged in to the front instead) that isn't there when the system is off. So the system is making sound (that "I'm on" hiss), but not the game sound.

Fixing it isn't a high priority because I have a working Genesis, but it would be cool to fix it if possible... probably can't, though. I don't have much in the way of electrical technical skills. Just thought I'd mention it anyway, if there are any ideas...

Banned by Administrators

If I had to guess (and this is just a shot in the dark) I'd say someone dropped and broke the Genesis 1 while moving it/storing it/etc. Even if the case isn't damaged, it could've broken something internally. Have you tried opening the case? I've never opened a model one but I've opened my model 2 Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X and it was as simple as unscrewing the philips head screws on the bottom and pulling the top off. Look around, see if anything looks corroded or if anything seems damaged or broken. Also check the cartridge slot, its possible it could be corroded or dirty and thats why it's not working (same goes for the pins that plug into the Sega CD).

Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    Then what would I have to do to region-mod this thing? Does that weird chip next to the Sega 315-5786 and Yamaha YM2612 have something to do with region code?
    I don't have such models, so I have no idea... the region is related to some pins on 315-5786.
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Hey I posted in wrong forum, sorry..
    Now it's edited out hope it's ok.
    Last edited by T.L.O; 06-05-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE
    I don't have such models, so I have no idea... the region is related to some pins on 315-5786.
    I guess I'm out of luck... I've never been able to find any information on that chip, so I guess region-modding may be out of the question. Unless someone gives some information about the Sega 315-5786, of course, which I REALLY NEED.

I need such model, then I'll be able to figure it out... shouldn't be too hard, especially when I have same models, but different regions.

There's a way to easily tell if a Genesis has the VA2 board: look through the cartridge slot. if you see a blue wire leading from the cartridge slot, it's a telltale sign that the Genesis has a VA2 board.
    As a side note, I'm building my own Master System>Genesis converter(well, my 2nd one), but I don't have the pinouts for the Master System card slot. Anyone have them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    There's a way to easily tell if a Genesis has the VA2 board: look through the cartridge slot. if you see a blue wire leading from the cartridge slot, it's a telltale sign that the Genesis has a VA2 board.

This board is trash, unless you live in Europe or something. The video encoder chip has no chroma and luma output, so it's composite, RGB, or nothing.
    Last edited by Mister X; 06-05-2008 at 01:54 PM.
    This is the internet. It means nothing. Don't believe otherwise.

Yeah. Good thing mine has a CXA1645. I already added the S-Video, but this version seems to have some sound channels that are too silent(noticeable in the jump sound on all Sonic games and with the attract mode music in Virtua Racing Deluxe) and Master System games have severe volume issues, specifically After Burner(machine gun, missiles and explosions are way too loud, making the music barely audible).
    By the way, quick question, how easy/hard would it be to replace the KA2195D on a Genesis 2 by a CXA1145?
    Last edited by Ace; 06-04-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Thread Information