Quantcast

Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: wolfenstein 3d demo for sega genesis

Hero of Algol

gasega68k,

Thanks a lot for another awesome update!

I know that some people had suggested the use of Mac-enstein assets previously in this thread and I feel like you prefer the game closer to the original (it's very close to the original by now, by the way), but I'd like to suggest you something which could be a lot simpler and yet being useful in terms of making the presentation of this version look a bit more up-to-date for those who like it that way.
    Also, it would probably be a good alternative for people more used to the SNES/Mac/3DO version of the game than to the original DOS version.

IDK if you can do it and I hope it doesn't bother you (pardon me if I'm being too obnoxious), but I'd really like to have a "high contrast" or "Mac style" option in the graphics menu which would result in the following changes in the game when enabled:

Original:

High contrast (I didn't change the position of the message but maybe it should be centralized, IDK):

Original:

High contrast (I've change the HUD position here and put it right below the actual game screen but IDK if it's possible/troublesome. If that is a problem, only changing the whole backgorund color to black would make it a lot more pleasant to me than the green-ish original tone - actually, the Mac-enstein mode does that AFAIK: keeps the original HUD position but changers the background color to black.) (The HUD font color would probably look better in this new setup using white all along, like I've pointed in the "Floor" portion of the HUD but that's just my opinion):

Original:

High contrast (Background in black and the text in red - MS Paint job, so I got lazy after the third letter lol, but I think it can give you an idea about what I'm proposing):

Anyway, I'd be really thankful if you could take those suggestions into account.

As a final question, do you plan to implement some sort of fade in/fade out for screen transitions like Mortal Kombat II on the Genesis had?
    Last edited by Barone; 07-09-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

^ That just looks ....wrong to me...? So yeah, goes to show I never played the Mac version I guess.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    ^ That just looks ....wrong to me...? So yeah, goes to show I never played the Mac version I guess.

The main problem with the Mac version and its derivatives is it lacks all the different directions. Things are only seen from the front. That was the main reason I used Wolf3D PSP (which is itself based on Wolf4SDL v1.4) for Wolf32X.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    The main problem with the Mac version and its derivatives is it lacks all the different directions. Things are only seen from the front. That was the main reason I used Wolf3D PSP (which is itself based on Wolf4SDL v1.4) for Wolf32X.
    You mean the enemies? Yeah, unfortunately they are one sided, so they always spot you and no longer you are able to sneak up behind them.

But there are some graphic assets which could still prove useful due to their sharpness, mostly the hud face and weapon graphics. The SNES version actually uses those while still keeping the old sprites for the enemies.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    But there are some graphic assets which could still prove useful due to their sharpness, mostly the hud face and weapon graphics.
    I would love some new weapon graphics, because the ones that are in the game now are super blocky.
    but is it even possible? I thought to gain speed the weapon part is being shown on the same layer as the 3D?
    thus being "rendered" in the raycasting part. (I don't know the technical names)

Then again I might be horribly wrong, I hope so!

Road Rasher

I don't see any fundamental reason the gun/hand couldn't be a sprite rather than rendered as part of the raycast scene. I would think it would be faster since rendering then becomes the VDP's problem rather than the CPU's problem, but perhaps gasega68k can shed more light on that.

As I remember it, the weapon/hand is just blitted over top the finished display. It doesn't go through the raycasting at all... no need since it's always the same distance/size/position (other than bob).

The weapon/hands is using the Plane B and Plane A is for the viewing area (where you see the walls, enemies and objects).

Since version b9, all tiles of all weapons are loaded in VRAM, so when you change frame (animation) or to switch weapons, only need to change a few bytes in the nametable corresponding to the plane of the weapon/hands, although keep the tiles of all weapons in VRAM is not really necessary (eg load only the tiles needed for a weapon, and to change the weapon, load new tiles), I did so because there was space, and also there is the possibility of compressing the graphics of weapons.

Although this port of Wolf3D want to keep the same weapons as the original, I had thought that maybe could make another version, but based on Mac/3do, but maybe keeping the enemies of the original (with 8 sides), with the graphics of the hud, weapons and sounds from Mac/3do. Or it could also be a completely different version with new levels but using some graphics/sounds from Mac/3do, but this is something that I have not decided. For now I just want to concentrate on the original Wolf3D.

Well that's a cool way to speed up the rendering a little. Makes good use of some features of the VDP.

gasega68k, fantastic job with the save feature! I no longer care about the Mega EverDrive's save state function not working on it, which wasn't reliable anyway.

The rating screen from the PC version and the new menu with high scores is a nice touch. Now I feel inclined to play the first episode over again just for the high score board . This port just keeps getting better and better, keep up the good work.
    Last edited by roadkill; 08-16-2014 at 08:59 AM.

A phenomenal job! I hope there are more updates from this project.

Here is another update of Wolf3D. These are the changes:

I have added the demo playback (2 demos: levels 1 and 4), and I've also added the credits screen.
    I have added the sound when BJ dies (although I could change it to a voice sound, because I do not like this sound).
    I've added a (fast) loading bar to "Get psyched" screen.
    I have added the "sound test" within the sound menu.
    I changed the menu "control", now the menu "costumize" is separate and also I have changed the mode to configure the buttons (to maintain the "A, C = change B = back" in the menus), you press "A, C "and a message is displayed, indicating that is waiting for a button, then when the desired button is pressed, the message disappears. In 6-buttons mode I've added the option to choose between the normal "strafe" or "L, R" (using X and Z for "strafe_L" and "strafe_R"). When the "L, R" mode is activated, the "normal" strafe is disabled and also the X and Z buttons remain fixed for strafe_L and strafe_R.

The "debug" option now also includes "misc. Options" now called "Debug/misc". In "misc. Options" you can disable the "Get psyched" screen, and you can choose how to save the game between "normal" and "auto". Now all variables in the "debug" are shown in decimal, exept those of "player_x" and "player_y". Although the option "debug" will eventually remove (or hide it), because it is not necessary for the game.

Now the message to save the game is displayed on the same screen at the end of level after level results show.

The "auto-save" mode works like this: you must first select it in the menu "misc". If you start a new game, at the end of the level you will be asked for a "slot" to save the game, then at the end of the following levels will be saved in that "slot" without asking. Now if a game is loaded (and the "auto" mode is selected), at the end of the levels will be saved in the "slot" without asking, in other words the "auto-save" will use the last "slot" selected.

I have fixed two bugs related to the display of "high scores" one of them was that a different level is displayed when it should show the level 10, the other was a color error of texts and some graphics bugs in the "high score" when you finished the episode and going to the "high score".

Let me know what you think of the changes and also would like to know if anyone has other suggestions that might add to the game or something that should change.

Here's the new version:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/47...lf3d_b10.5.rar

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by gasega68k View Post
    I've added a (fast) loading bar to "Get psyched" screen.
    Sorry for being this dumb, but this really made a lot of difference to me.
    The atmosphere is not the same without the loading bar, seriously.

Great job, gasega68k! This is really an awesome achievement.

About suggestions, IDK, but something that bogs my mind a bit is that the color of the regular soldiers is the same or very similar to some objects in the rooms. Sometimes it's like if they were camouflaged there. I don't remember if it happened in the original DOS game this often (and it can be a positive side effect in some ways) but it annoys me a bit at times.
    I wonder that there's no other tones available which would be appropriated though, so take this more like a comment than anything else.

Wow, this runs really, really good. I can't believe this is a Genesis rom!

My only gripe is that the graphics are extremely dithered and it hurts my eyes after short periods of time.

Maybe if you get the code really streamlined in subsequent builds you'll have enough extra horsepower left over to implement shadow/highlight modes (if you're not doing it already!), a la Ranger X? It would be nice to be able to boost the perceived color count and be able to reduce the dithering in the process.

Thread Information