Quantcast

Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: wolfenstein 3d demo for sega genesis

Hero of Algol

There's already a bunch of filtering options in the menu, but I think you missed those.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    There's already a bunch of filtering options in the menu, but I think you missed those.
    Ah, I certainly did! Going to check it out...

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

This is really rather excellent. I'll have this on hardware in the week for the target of completion. It will be my first EVER playthrough of the game. I'm way behind, I know. Many thanks gasega68k, you're very clever indeed.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by gasega68k View Post
    Although this port of Wolf3D want to keep the same weapons as the original, I had thought that maybe could make another version, but based on Mac/3do, but maybe keeping the enemies of the original (with 8 sides), with the graphics of the hud, weapons and sounds from Mac/3do. Or it could also be a completely different version with new levels but using some graphics/sounds from Mac/3do, but this is something that I have not decided. For now I just want to concentrate on the original Wolf3D.
    Very cool, thanks for the reply (I've missed it previously)!
    A Mac-ish version with enemies having all 8 sides would be really cool. But I also dig the original and how damn close it is to the PC version.
    My suggestions were more towards "let's reuse this amazing raycasting engine as much as possible" than "I don't like the original version".

By the way, I've read in a Spanish forum that you think about reuse your engine for a Spear of Destiny port. That would be very awesome as well IMO.

But, as everyone else here, I'm really thankful for what you've done so far and I will happily wait for the final version of your Wolfenstein 3D port.

Gracias.

I wanted to understand why the 32x version is fixed at the top of this forum and the Mega Drive which is even more incredible is not well?

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I wanted to understand why the 32x version is fixed at the top of this forum and the Mega Drive which is even more incredible is not well?
    Ha, i was about to write the same thing; this is an outstanding work that deserves all the love that it can get from Sega-16.

You would expect at least a little more recognition of his work, but sometimes things here are given a 'meh' treatment that i really have a hard time understanding.

Hero of Algol

Well, Chilly Willy actually started this whole section; he asked Melf to create it AFAIK.
    And, during a long time, Wolf32X was the only prominent homebrew being developed by a Sega-16 member IIRC and being discussed here as well. So Wolf32X been there is really expected.
    I believe that Melf would have sticky'ed this one as well if people had asked him directly.

But, with all that said, it's really hard to understand why some threads are stiky'ed and others aren't; why some threads are moved without being all that necessary and others remain in the wrong sections for ages. I've been here for 4 years and it's still not very clear to me.

Yes, the MD version of Wolf3D SHOULD be stickied. I think the only reason the 32X version is stickied is at the time, it was kinda the only homebrew out. It also demonstrated how to do 32X homebrew as I always include the source, and answer questions on programming.

If anyone were giving my recommendations any weight as to what else should be stickied, I'd say the main SGDK thread, my threads on building a Genesis/32X toolchain, and any homebrew that also includes source, regardless of quality. Maybe one sticky thread that kept links to these other threads would be a good compromise.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Maybe one sticky thread that kept links to these other threads would be a good compromise.
    That's what I did back in the Xbox-Scene days, I just made one huuuuuge post filled with all the important answers and urls
    and had it be the only stickied post in the forum. didn't stop them from still saying "sticky this!" and "sticky that!" though.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    That's what I did back in the Xbox-Scene days, I just made one huuuuuge post filled with all the important answers and urls
    and had it be the only stickied post in the forum. didn't stop them from still saying "sticky this!" and "sticky that!" though.
    And I didn't even notice we HAVE a sticky for programming links in this forum. Must have had a brain fart...

Hero of Algol

Let me know what you think of the changes and also would like to know if anyone has other suggestions that might add to the game or something that should change.
    I'd like to suggest you to include mouse support for "aiming" (not actual aiming, just left and right analog movement).

I suggest the following control scheme:
    Run = Mouse Right Button
    Fire = Mouse Left Button
    Open = Mouse Right Button
    Weapon = Start or Mouse Middle Button (in the case you want to support the US-only three button Sega Mouse).
    Strafe L = Pad Left
    Strafe R = Pad Right
    Move Forward = Pad Up
    Move Back = Pad Down

With that scheme you could have the regular pad (controller port 1) on the left hand and the mouse (controller port 2) on the right hand with no problem IMO. And you'd have far more precise movement due to the analog left/right and proper strafe control.

There's a hack for Zero Tolerance which implements something like that and it works very well with that game: https://yadi.sk/d/h5iyPwxC0IrfR

Hero of Algol

I'd like to report a bug when using the asciiPad MD-6 (same of asciiPad SG-6 which has that stupid Sega Seal of Quality on its box), like this one:

Given that it has shoulder buttons, I thought it would be great to test it with Wolfenstein 3D for Strafe L and Strafe R. But as someone else are mentioned in your spritesmind thread, those strafe actions can't be customized right now so I can't assign them to the C and Z button like I would need there.

However, the main problem is that the controller has a buggy behavior in Wolfenstein 3D. Buttons are oddly/wrongly mapped since the very beginning and some of them don't stop to be triggered when I'm not actually pushing any of them. I know that this controller has similar issues with some early 6B-supported games like the first Mortal Kombat on the Mega Drive.
    But it's cool when you need something with shoulder buttons and don't want to pussificate your gaming by going to play on a SNES, lol. Some games, like WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game have specific button layouts for this controller shown in their options.

IDK if you can fix it - it might be related to the 6B controller routine you're using - but I felt like reporting this bug here.

Thanks.

I'd like to suggest you to include mouse support for "aiming" (not actual aiming, just left and right analog movement).
    I think I could add mouse support, although I do not know how many people have it, but still I will try.

I'd like to report a bug when using the asciiPad MD-6 (same of asciiPad SG-6 which has that stupid Sega Seal of Quality on its box), like this one:

Given that it has shoulder buttons, I thought it would be great to test it with Wolfenstein 3D for Strafe L and Strafe R. But as someone else are mentioned in your spritesmind thread, those strafe actions can't be customized right now so I can't assign them to the C and Z button like I would need there.

However, the main problem is that the controller has a buggy behavior in Wolfenstein 3D. Buttons are oddly/wrongly mapped since the very beginning and some of them don't stop to be triggered when I'm not actually pushing any of them. I know that this controller has similar issues with some early 6B-supported games like the first Mortal Kombat on the Mega Drive.
    But it's cool when you need something with shoulder buttons and don't want to pussificate your gaming by going to play on a SNES, lol. Some games, like WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game have specific button layouts for this controller shown in their options.

IDK if you can fix it - it might be related to the 6B controller routine you're using - but I felt like reporting this bug here.

Thanks.
    About the bug of this controller, I do not know why this happens, but you say the buttons are triggered when you're not pressing, I wonder if this happens with all the buttons, ie, this happens with A, B, C also or only X, Y, Z or pad (up, down, left, right). Also let me know if this happens in the "customize" screen too, thanks.

On the Customize buttons, now you can change "Strafe L" and "Strafe R", so you can put them on any button like the other actions, in a few days I'll post this version.

I think I could add mouse support, although I do not know how many people have it, but still I will try.
    Feel free to swipe the mouse code from Wolf32X.

Hero of Algol

About the bug of this controller, I do not know why this happens, but you say the buttons are triggered when you're not pressing, I wonder if this happens with all the buttons, ie, this happens with A, B, C also or only X, Y, Z or pad (up, down, left, right). Also let me know if this happens in the "customize" screen too, thanks.

On the Customize buttons, now you can change "Strafe L" and "Strafe R", so you can put them on any button like the other actions, in a few days I'll post this version.
    Thanks a lot for the reply!
    That controller bug happens with almost all buttons. The directional pad is also affected. It behaviors oddly, like if there was a turbo feature being applied for each direction. Actually, that same odd behavior also happens with Mortal Kombat.
    The incompatible games share that: directional arrows like on turbo, some buttons assignments mixed up, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Feel free to swipe the mouse code from Wolf32X.
    Cool!

Thread Information