Quantcast

Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: wolfenstein 3d demo for sega genesis

It's projects like this that make me wish I had an Everdrive for my Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Given your comments I'd like to see you attempt to port Wolf3D to the 32x....
    Oh gosh. Well ok, I'm sorry that I gave my honest opinion and gave criticism to Chilly Willy's port. Of course I can't make a better one, I'm not a programmer, duh. I was just merely stating a fact that currently gasega68k's Sega Genesis port of Wolfenstein 3D is the superior version (IMO of course) despite ironically being on inferior hardware. I still have respect for Chilly Willy and his port of Wolfenstein 3D, but it is literally unplayable on my actual Sega Genesis and 32X hardware because of a horrible high pitch whine noise that Chilly Willy has acknowledged in another topic (I searched google a couple of months ago about it when I first got the Mega EverDrive and found that topic). And yes I'm aware Chilly Willy has posted in this topic and on the previous page, so don't bother bringing that up. Also hello Chilly Willy

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    The original PC version got this: http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/0/0/5/17005_front.jpg
    Had completely forgotten about that. In my mind, the PC cover was more WW2-looking. At least the badies are wearing steel helmets
    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

Newbie Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    The original PC version got this: http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/0/0/5/17005_front.jpg
    Complete with Kurt Russel and all

I'm thinking Patrick Swayze. Looks like the artist was a big fan of Road House
    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

I don't take criticism about my homebrew personally, so no one needs to worry about it. I know there is a number of things that could be done on the 32X version. The audio whine is certainly one of them - it doesn't whine on mine, so I never saw the problem, but after a report, it's clear why it occurs. 14kHz is too low a sample rate on the 32X. 14kHz is twice the Wolf3D rate, which is why I used it. Three times the rate would have been better. I can probably do a quick update that fixes that. The other main complaint was about the music - the guy working on the Genesis version put a lot of work into altering the music to use the FM chip. I'm not that much into FM. If he were willing to help on the 32X version, I'm sure we could port his music to the 32X version.

Anywho, there's no need to get into arguments about the 32X version in this thread. This is an awesome version that the author has clearly put a LOT of work into. In a number of ways, it IS superior to the 32X version. I'm hoping that some of that work could help make the 32X version better, but I'm certainly not going to take offense because someone worked hard to make a great conversion.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Given your comments I'd like to see you attempt to port Wolf3D to the 32x....
    come come no need to scare off the newbies
    Kitsune in a hat

Tried the genesis version today on my modded md2 via megacart. It's just awesome work !
    1 XB360, 1 md2, 1 mcd2, 1 snes, 1 ms adapter, 1 Nes, 2Gamegears (for playing sor co op)
    http://soundcloud.com/djtwok

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I don't take criticism about my homebrew personally, so no one needs to worry about it. I know there is a number of things that could be done on the 32X version. The audio whine is certainly one of them - it doesn't whine on mine, so I never saw the problem, but after a report, it's clear why it occurs. 14kHz is too low a sample rate on the 32X. 14kHz is twice the Wolf3D rate, which is why I used it. Three times the rate would have been better. I can probably do a quick update that fixes that. The other main complaint was about the music - the guy working on the Genesis version put a lot of work into altering the music to use the FM chip. I'm not that much into FM. If he were willing to help on the 32X version, I'm sure we could port his music to the 32X version.

Anywho, there's no need to get into arguments about the 32X version in this thread. This is an awesome version that the author has clearly put a LOT of work into. In a number of ways, it IS superior to the 32X version. I'm hoping that some of that work could help make the 32X version better, but I'm certainly not going to take offense because someone worked hard to make a great conversion.
    I'm willing to beta test your port too once the high pitch whine is fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen Hasuki View Post
    It's projects like this that make me wish I had an Everdrive for my Nomad
    They're great flash carts. I spent a little extra on the Mega EverDrive because I like how it has save state support and instant loading of games. Although the save state support is buggy though.

The music of this port is made with TFM and only uses 5 channels, because I use channel 6 to make 2 channel pcm with Z80 (with 2 to 1 compression and four levels of volume).

Although I think the version of 32x is very good, just need to add music and maybe improve something routine drawn sprites and that's it, I'm willing to help with anything the version 32x, so I'll post all the music in "tfc" when finished making the music that corresponds to the High Scores screen, that I have not done, and I'm going to do these days, because I'll also add this screen.

Quote Originally Posted by gasega68k View Post
    The music of this port is made with TFM and only uses 5 channels, because I use channel 6 to make 2 channel pcm with Z80 (with 2 to 1 compression and four levels of volume).

Although I think the version of 32x is very good, just need to add music and maybe improve something routine drawn sprites and that's it, I'm willing to help with anything the version 32x, so I'll post all the music in "tfc" when finished making the music that corresponds to the High Scores screen, that I have not done, and I'm going to do these days, because I'll also add this screen.
    Neat! Thanks.

That's interesting how you do your pcm. That, at least, is one thing the 32X doesn't need to worry about. Are you doing the FM sound effects as FM, or did you convert those to PCM?

The FM sound effects I did with PSG, even those heard in the menus.

Quote Originally Posted by gasega68k View Post
    The FM sound effects I did with PSG, even those heard in the menus.
    That must have taken some effort... the PSG is nothing like the FM chip used in PCs.

That must have taken some effort... the PSG is nothing like the FM chip used in PCs.
    Well, yeah, but that's why I made a rom to make psg sounds.
    This I did with Basiegaxorz (actually about 1% basic, and 99% asm):
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/83...d_test_psg.rar
    In the rar file, I have included a txt file with some examples.

Here is a brief explanation of this rom:
    Each channel has a maximum of 128 "samples" (from 0x00 to 0x7f).
    The B button, starts playing the sample, and C playback stops.
    Holding the A button and moving up or down, you can change the values.
    "Sp" is the speed of playback, each frame is 0, 1 is every 2 frames, 2 is every 3 frames, etc, this value can be changed by holding Start and moving up and down.
    Freq, vol, are frequency (pitch) and volume, here the minimum is 0 and the maximum is F for the volume.
    For channel 4 (noise), valid for the "noise" values ​​are up to 7 (with 3 and 7 will use channel 3), and when a higher value is placed (from 8 to F), the loop flag is set and the sample will be played with loop. I did this so to make changes while playing, and thus see the changes in the sound at the time.
    To clear all press Start + C.
    This can also be useful to make sound effects for Master System.

Edit:There is something that I had forgotten to mention is that for the channel noise, the F value is for the loop, but values ​​from 8 to E, playback stops.
    Last edited by gasega68k; 06-23-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Thread Information