Quantcast

Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: wolfenstein 3d demo for sega genesis

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification So you are re implementing all the original IA logic ? The IA was really one point of the game which impressed me back in time (aside the fast 3D rendering).

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Played this yesterday... It keeps looking better and better! I can't wait until we're able to play all of Wolfenstein-3D on the Genesis!

I have an idea just in case things get too busy on screen. Would you consider adding a controller command to change the size of the gameplay window? Chilly Willy had this in his 32X version, which helped the framerate in some chaotic moments. Make the window smaller on command when it gets busy, make it bigger again on command when it isn't.

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

Indeed that would be neat but i think that is not that much possible. For some optimization reasons the window size is probably "hardwired" in the code, also the current size seems to be a good compromise between performance and visibility =)

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Oh ok, thanks for the clarification So you are re implementing all the original IA logic ? The IA was really one point of the game which impressed me back in time (aside the fast 3D rendering).
    yeah, I'm implementing the AI as the original, but trying to do it the best way possible for speed, regardless of the size of the code.
    I have an idea just in case things get too busy on screen. Would you consider adding a controller command to change the size of the gameplay window? Chilly Willy had this in his 32X version, which helped the framerate in some chaotic moments. Make the window smaller on command when it gets busy, make it bigger again on command when it isn't.
    I think it will be very difficult to do this, because in this port, I have many LUT in ROM, which in the original game are calculated depending on the chosen window size and then stored in ram, and this port is running out the available RAM. At this point I have calculated that this port will be used between 50 and 60 KB of RAM, so the only way to do it would be with different LUT for each window size. These LUT, also include the code to draw walls and sprites, which are precomputed tables for scaling, but in code, which occupy about 150KB.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Indeed that would be neat but i think that is not that much possible. For some optimization reasons the window size is probably "hardwired" in the code, also the current size seems to be a good compromise between performance and visibility =)
    I agree it's a good compromise. I was playing it pretty heavily the other day and was constantly impressed with how the Genesis was handling this game. It's really cool to hear the original music from the MS-DOS version too.

Quote Originally Posted by gasega68k View Post
    yeah, I'm implementing the AI as the original, but trying to do it the best way possible for speed, regardless of the size of the code.
    Looking forward to these guys fighting back!

I think it will be very difficult to do this, because in this port, I have many LUT in ROM, which in the original game are calculated depending on the chosen window size and then stored in ram, and this port is running out the available RAM. At this point I have calculated that this port will be used between 50 and 60 KB of RAM, so the only way to do it would be with different LUT for each window size. These LUT, also include the code to draw walls and sprites, which are precomputed tables for scaling, but in code, which occupy about 150KB.
    That's too bad. It was worth mentioning at least!

Reviews in the pipeline:

gasega68k
    How about add selection buttons?
    And then shoot uncomfortable holding button "C". Buttons "X" and "C" will be more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by SPIDER View Post
    gasega68k
    And then shoot uncomfortable holding button "C". Buttons "X" and "C" will be more convenient.
    Wolfenstein 3D would benefit from having 6-button controller support to avoid weird button combinations.

Reviews in the pipeline:

Here are the videos of the error in the level 7 which had promised:
    This is the sega genesis version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW7cL8upBtk

And this is the PC version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESm5JG0ekpk

gasega68k
    Wolfenstein 3D would benefit from having 6-button controller support to avoid weird button combinations.
    Maybe I could add an option to choose between 3 button control and 6 buttons in the options menu.

Catchin The Vapor Trail Wildside Expert BoostedGR33K's Avatar

Here are the videos of the error in the level 7 which had promised:
    This is the sega genesis version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW7cL8upBtk

And this is the PC version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESm5JG0ekpk

Maybe I could add an option to choose between 3 button control and 6 buttons in the options menu.
    Thats awesome!!! 3 button or 6 button option would be pretty awesome
    Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Sounds like a plan! I figure that having more buttons for a PC game really helps the transition to console. Don't even get me started on Wing Commander! That game is unplayable with the 3 button pad.

I watched that video with the error on Level 7. It's a conga line!
    Last edited by FuturePrimitive; 12-19-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Reviews in the pipeline:

Banned by Administrators

gasega68k needs more rep points for this. Thank you for this, listening to us us and can't wait for final.

I'll be glad if you make EVERY genesis button remapable in the port. I know, even PC Wolf3D lacks this but this is just what every game ever should have, imo.

Also I love how fast it is compared to Bloodshot and Zero Tolerance. But what about the vertical stripes? Are they there only because of a limited color pallete or it's some optimization that helps the performance?
    Last edited by Orchid87; 12-26-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    But what about the vertical stripes? Are they there only because of a limited color pallete or it's some optimization that helps the performance?
    Actually both.

New version of the rom available.
    In this version I've added all the music tracks that are in the 10 levels (6 music tracks), now the menus are nearly complete, you can enter the menu of options during the game by pressing Start + C and change what you want and return to the game by pressing B.
    For these days did not have much time, so I did nothing more, I took more time than I thought to do the songs.
    Here is the new version:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/lb...ddemo_b5.5.rar

I will add the option to choose three or six button controller. Also I will add the option to remap the buttons, but there are several things to consider: the player movement (up, down, left, right), I think it makes no sense to change them, also for the 3-button control, the actions open/strafe will better be the same button, because the strafe would have no sense to put it together with the fire, or run action. For the six button controller, there is not problem, the actions can be set to any button.

Banned by Administrators

Thank you gas ^, I guess the next version will be the final version then, can't wait.

Thread Information