Quantcast

Thread: Chips Challenge MD

Nameless One

Genesis Chips Challenge MD

Such a nice surprise to find a Genesis port. I haven't played it yet, but it looks good in the screenshots.

I had this fun puzzle game back in the day in an Atari Lynx.

https://portabledev.itch.io/chips-challenge-md

Having owned an Atari Lynx bitd, I played a lot of Chip's Challenge and always thought that a Sega version would make sense. Will have to try it out soon.

I do not believe this is a Megadrive release
    Last edited by ironnick23; 06-11-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    I do not believe this is a Megadrive release
    I downloaded the rom from the link in the first post from the itch.io site and it works on an actual Genesis, as well as the Mega SG. It's most certainly a real MD port of Chip's Challenge.

Master of Shinobi

of course it is, that's why I said "an Atari Lynx port" on an MD forum... as in "ported from Lynx", sorry not a native speaker here.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Having played through the first ten levels, I can confirm that its definitely a port to the MD/Gen. Why would anyone think otherwise? If in doubt just test it on an emulator.

Overall it seems like a really decent port of the Lynx version. Most people I know are more familiar with the Windows release, but I always preferred the animation that the Lynx version had so I'm glad they chose that one to base it off. Its a really good idea to make a Sega version so I'm surprised no one did it before. I've noticed that the Mandelbrot generator hasn't been included in this port though, unless its supposed to be accessed with a different password to the original.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 06-16-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Having played through the first ten levels, I can confirm that its definitely a port to the MD/Gen. Why would anyone think otherwise? If in doubt just test it on an emulator.
    My post was in reply to ironnick23's post explaining that it's definitely a Megadrive/Genesis ROM. The documentation incorrectly refers to the game as Chip's Advance, though.

I apologize, you are correct it is an MD port. I have a lot of memories playing this game on an old PC.... Also, is that Citadel of Chaos I see? Wow I LOVED choose your own adventure stories. I wish this were available in English!

Thread Information