Quantcast

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: wolfenstein 3d demo for sega genesis

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Also emulators wont do direct color quite right.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

I just discovered a bug in the code that could cause the 68000 remains in an infinite loop. See this piece of code (The 68000 code is runing During VBLANK):

Code:
         z80 code:

ld  (hl),$ff        ;$1ff0
            ld  (ix+0),$2a      ;$4000
            ld  (ix+1),a        ;$4001  => out
            ld  (hl),$00        ;$1ff0

68000 code:

ym2612wr:
       ; a0 = $a04000

move.w #$100,$a11100    ;busreq on
       nop
       nop
       nop
       tst.b $a01ff0          ;z80 = $1ff0
       beq.s wait1         ;0 = write to ym2612 regs
       clr.w  $a11100
       nop
       nop
       nop
       nop
       nop
       bra.s ym2612wr

wait1:
       tst.b  (a0)        ;waitstatus
       bmi.s wait1
       move.b d0,0(a0,d2)
    wait2:
       tst.b  (a0)        ;waitstatus
       bmi.s wait2
       move.b d1,1(a0,d2)
       clr.w  $a11100      ;move.w #$0,$a11100      ;busreq off
       rts
    If you look at the code for the z80, before sending a data to the output register, I write a $ff to $1ff0, write the value data and then set 0 to $1ff0. Then in the code of 68000, only when this value is 0, the 68000 can write to the YM2612 regs. This is just to prevent both processors simultaneously write the regs YM2612.

The error I mentioned before, would happen when you're loading a sample on the z80 ram.
    This is what might happen: when you're loading a sample to the z80 ram, this is stopped and then the sample is loaded. But what if at the time of stopping the z80 this had written a $ff to $1ff0 then an interruption of VBLANK happens?. When the 68000 go to tfc player, it will remain in an infinite loop because it always would read $ff at $1ff0 causing the game to freeze.
    Let me fix this and then I'll upload a new version of the rom that also will include some other things.

About the bug mentioned earlier, I was wrong. The 68000 does not would remain in an infinite loop, but could cause an even greater problem. When the 68000 is in this loop trying to write to the YM2612, will be permanently activating and deactivating the z80, so eventually the value of $1ff0 will be 0, making it possible to write to the YM2612, but when it returns from VBLANK, the z80 will be activated and the 68000 will continue loading the sample to the z80 ram.

Anyway, setting SR to $2700 to disable Vint before loading the sample to z80 ram (as Stef suggested in another forum), this will be fixed.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I am so excited about this, I wish I had more to say but I'm no programmer.. But damn I'm anxious for future demo's!

Quote Originally Posted by gasega68k View Post
    About the bug mentioned earlier, I was wrong. The 68000 does not would remain in an infinite loop, but could cause an even greater problem. When the 68000 is in this loop trying to write to the YM2612, will be permanently activating and deactivating the z80, so eventually the value of $1ff0 will be 0, making it possible to write to the YM2612, but when it returns from VBLANK, the z80 will be activated and the 68000 will continue loading the sample to the z80 ram.

Anyway, setting SR to $2700 to disable Vint before loading the sample to z80 ram (as Stef suggested in another forum), this will be fixed.
    So you're using the 68k to load samples into Z80 RAM and not having the Z80 handle that itself? (that would be another thing that could screw up sample playback if you wanted to set up a continuous streaming sample driver . . . and a separate issue from dealing with DMA contention) Granted, setting up an all-Z80 sample driver like that would still need to keep timing consistent for playback while fetching sample data too. (given the sample rates you're currently using, you could still take the easy way out for that and just set one of the YM2612 timers to the sample rate desired and poll the timer to signal when to write to the DAC)

Are you having the 68k or Z80 mix the samples? (ie are the 2 channels already mixed into a single stream in Z80 RAM, or is the Z80 mixing as it plays?) If you can spare the 68k time to mix the samples ahead of time, that would double the effective sample length in Z80 RAM.
    Wait . . . you're using compressed samples, so that wouldn't work. Nevermind. (even if you had the 68k decode and mix the samples, you'd end up with the same space in RAM since it's 8-bit rather than 4-bit)

I also noticed this discussion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    The attack sound effect in Project MD goes like this:
    • 1 frame - G#6
    • 2 frames - G-6
    • 1 frame - F#6
    • 2 frames - F-6
    • 2 frame - silence
    • 1 frame - G#5
    • 2 frames - A-5
    • 1 frame - A#5
    • 2 frames - B-5

Nobody notices the playback is uneven. If it's possible to trick the ear with uneven playback at 60 Hz, why wouldn't it be possible to do it at 32552 Hz? The difference would be so small the brain would never notice.
    Which seems to imply having completely steady sample playback might not be totally necessary to have decent sample playback quality. I'm not sure of the actual aesthetic differences here, but if a sample can still sound OK when being cut out for entire 60 Hz frame intervals at a time, that's something to consider. (in Sik's example, it's an expected event too, so the playback engine cuts to silence and corrects timing errors related to that gap -I assume it's DMA related- and avoids the issue of some other Z80 drivers in MD games that seem to have their timing go off quite a bit and have garbled sound)

That, and more importantly, if you kept the current 68k loading into Z80 RAM set-up, but used it to play chained/segmented long samples, you'd have considerably smaller (and much less frequent -ie roughly once every second) gaps in playback time. (ie when the 68k is updating the sample buffers)
    So that might indeed work adequately well, but I suppose it would need testing to be sure. (and might be more noticeable for some sounds than others -especially speech)

You'd still have the issue of making sure only to update the sample buffer during active display, but you could avoid that issue by double buffering sample streams into Z80 RAM (so using 4 buffers/chunks instead of 2, with 1 pair for each channel), and the 68k would be signaled to update one pair buffers as soon as the Z80 finishes reading them. (and these buffers are so long -over 1/2 a second- that the 68k would have tons and tons of time before the Z80 would need the swap buffers again, and any 68k down time due to DMA wouldn't pose a problem there)
    Plus, using smaller buffer blocks would mean even shorter gaps in Z80 playback due to sample buffer fill-time. (the Z80 gets halted when the 68k accesses the Z80 bus, so some gaps due to halting would be unavoidable, if not for that, the double buffering scheme would totally avoid the issue of gaps too)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Finally I'm here again with an update of my demo. Now the hud is working, even the animation of the face, and also did the player/hands weapon.

In the file I included some pictures: "player_weapon_original.bmp" is the original image (with size 2x), "player_weapon2x_.bmp" is the picture I made with 16 colors and "player_weapon2x_f.bmp" (is the image I use) was made with a program to make it look better. What do you think, so i leave it like this or use the other image that has no filter?. Or maybe I could use another (like the SNES)?

Download here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/3x...mo_wsoundb.rar

Or maybe I could use another (like the SNES)?
    I would say try resizing the sprites of the Mac port, which is the final port of Wolf3D,
    and it uses higher rest art files, so maybe if you resize those sprites to Mega Drive size you might end up with a better end result then just
    using the Snes sprites. (Snes and Mac use the same weapon designs btw)

I have also discovered that Wolf/Doom fans are now making extra frames for the Wolf3D enemies,
    maybe this would be a nice thing to have in your port? because I believe Wolf3D only has like 2 sprites for each enemy?

Edit : Just tried out the new demo, it's awesome! keep up the great work!
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 08-29-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I would say try resizing the sprites of the Mac port, which is the final port of Wolf3D,
    and it uses higher rest art files, so maybe if you resize those sprites to Mega Drive size you might end up with a better end result then just

I have also discovered that Wolf/Doom fans are now making extra frames for the Wolf3D enemies,
    maybe this would be a nice thing to have in your port? because I believe Wolf3D only has like 2 sprites for each enemy?

Problem: Mac (and 3DO and Jaguar) Wolfenstein 3D cut down the game to single-sided sprites like SNES/32x Doom (enemies always face you). Ruining some of the strategy of the game (and especially stealth), and making some stuff just look weird. (like dogs strafing back and forth like crazy rather than the normal running animation)

You could still use the Mac art for the HUD though.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Finally I'm here again with an update of my demo. Now the hud is working, even the animation of the face, and also did the player/hands weapon.
    Awesome work! Tried it on my MD2 + Everdrive (in 60Hz). Looks great, works great and the sound FXs are perfect

But the music is completely messed up. Sounds like it get's "chopped up" randomly or something.
    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    I was not aware that the Mac version only used front faced sprites, how odd to redraw them and then not do the other sprites.

But yeah, I think if he just resizes the weapon sprites then that should look nice enough.

as for enemies, It seems that fans have been making full rotations of the MSDos Wolf3D enemies,
    maybe this would be a nice thing to have in this port?
    how many sprites did Wolf3D originally have? like 3? front/back/side ?

and as for music, perhaps using Tiido's music engine would be a nice idea? I don't know how this stuff works
    but wasn't his driver used for Pier Solar? so you might as well use the best music driver available!.

I hope this all translates into French.
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 08-30-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Raging in the Streets

Looking forward to the 32X version with 3DO graphics.

Just kidding, really good work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post

I also liked the idea of getting both the weapon and face graphics from the console versions since they look much better than the PC originals, and those graphics are apparently what the unreleased Mega Drive version was going to use. I already told gasega68k to have those assets from Macenstein 3D (source port of Wolfenstein 3D for MAC), which can be obtained here: http://www.wolfensteingoodies.com/wo...toz/list-m.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    Problem: Mac (and 3DO and Jaguar) Wolfenstein 3D cut down the game to single-sided sprites like SNES/32x Doom (enemies always face you). Ruining some of the strategy of the game (and especially stealth), and making some stuff just look weird. (like dogs strafing back and forth like crazy rather than the normal running animation)

Not only the revamped enemy graphics are one-sided, but they are probably too much for the Mega Drive to handle them anyway because they were drawed in higher resolution. It's probably easier to just grab the face and weapon graphics and leave the original enemy graphics (what the SNES version does, and what the unreleased Mega Drive version was apparently going to do).

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBean2 View Post
    Awesome work! Tried it on my MD2 + Everdrive (in 60Hz). Looks great, works great and the sound FXs are perfect

But the music is completely messed up. Sounds like it get's "chopped up" randomly or something.
    That's the same problem I have when testing the game on a Sega Nomad. Must be some hardware incompatibility of sorts. The game works perfectly on a Mega Drive 1 though. I also tested the game with 10 mhz overclocking and that way you have regular 20fps with 17-18fps droppings instead of 15fps with 13-14fps droppings.
    Last edited by Wesker; 08-30-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    and leave the original enemy graphics
    Yeah I agree with that, its best to keep the enemies the MSDos enemies, that way you can also add the "Spear of Destiny" enemies and not have them look different.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

In the file I included some pictures: "player_weapon_original.bmp" is the original image (with size 2x), "player_weapon2x_.bmp" is the picture I made with 16 colors and "player_weapon2x_f.bmp" (is the image I use) was made with a program to make it look better. What do you think, so i leave it like this or use the other image that has no filter?. Or maybe I could use another (like the SNES)?

Download here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/3x...mo_wsoundb.rar
    Incredible work so far! I'd stick to the 64x64 resolution walls/objects of the original PC version but it's your work, do as you feel is best!

The previous version didn't work on Exodus 1.0.0, so I made a CD with demo versions of several possible fixes to test in a sega cd, and see how it works on real hardware.

For the tests I did, the error must be in the initialization of the z80.
    See readme.txt to know the differences with the demos.

Here I leave this demo of sega cd to download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/qd...egacd_wolf.rar

And also this version of the demo I think (hope) will not fail:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/bv...o_wsoundb2.rar

The music sounds different on the actual hardware, but I think it is for some error in the replayer tfc, that emulators do not see the difference.

Thread Information