Quantcast

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758

Thread: wolfenstein 3d demo for sega genesis

ACHTUNG! MD angeschaltet! Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One eukara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    I doubt much of the code bears any resemblance to the original. I'm sure bits do though.
    It's still derivative work in any case
    Even the Berkley guys had to prove they rewrote all the parts from scratch when USL tried to sue them for selling BSD.

I think it's something worth keeping in mind, especially if we've already started talking about the legal side of things in here.
    In the end, it's Gasega's responsibility (or PIko, as they're the ones selling something) to act upon how they see it.

If the sources were released, yes it'll probably cause the same people to go on the usual places and try to sell someone elses updated work (which they're already doing, you'll never stop that) but at the same time, the community can now infinitely remix and mod the game, make total conversions that don't involve the original assets - and since it'd be under the GPL... yes you could sell those too and give a chunk to gasega!
    Last edited by eukara; 07-16-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Can we stop bumping this thread for the mode 7 demo now. There's already a thread for his mode 7 stuff, and bumping this thread just keeps making think there's been further news relevant to the Wolf3d demo.
    Meaning to ask, where is the Mode 7 thread? Couldn't find it.

I was under the impression that gasega looked at the original code only for reference of enemy behavior and such and that the Mega Drive code was written completely from scratch… In fact, I think gasega's stuff is written entirely in 68000 asm while id's code is a mix of C and x86 asm. So yeah, basically a total rewrite. And whoever is right or not would not matter in case of a lawsuit because when one side has way more money then they basically win "by default" simply by being able to keep throwing lawyer money at it until the other party gives up.

Let's be honest though, there isn't much else gasega can add without resorting to adding the non-shareware episodes and I think he stated that he doesn't want to release that (having the shareware portion ignored is easier since it was always free anyway, but the commercial portion can easily bring in the lawyers calling).

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Meaning to ask, where is the Mode 7 thread? Couldn't find it.
    Here is one of them:

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...ght=sonic+kart
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Let's be honest though, there isn't much else gasega can add without resorting to adding the non-shareware episodes and I think he stated that he doesn't want to release that (having the shareware portion ignored is easier since it was always free anyway, but the commercial portion can easily bring in the lawyers calling).
    The latest releases contain episode 2 though. Its hidden, but its definitely there.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

So at this point the only thing we can hope for is that the Russians care enough to figure out how Wolf3D stores its files and they add the full version.

Alright. It's getting ridiculous. It's been over 5 years. Just leak it already and destroy any evidence that you coded it so we can at least play it and you don't get sued.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by l11l1D00M1l11l View Post
    Alright. It's getting ridiculous.
    I agree. When random posters think they're entitled to demand the release of a hand-optimized assembly port made by someone else who coded it alone and without a single cent of the community, yeah, that's getting really ridiculous.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I agree. When random posters think they're entitled to demand the release of a hand-optimized assembly port made by someone else who coded it alone and without a single cent of the community, yeah, that's getting really ridiculous.
    And this is partially why I rarely post anymore. Seems to be a lot of entitlement!

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Is he stil doing the Wolfenstein 3D Port?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Blake00's Avatar

Damn.. I'd been following the Spritesmind forum Wolf3D Genesis thread and had wondered why it had been dead for ages after heaps of activity. There was no explanation there so it's nice to see some more info here. Sucks though, I've seen so many great fan projects die because someone tried to go commercial despite everyone saying it would just cause a C&D. Sad to see this is another one...

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

It's a common thing. People put all of their points into code-tism, and none into pattern recognition, so while they can produce miracles of software, they cannot help themselves when it comes to utterly failing at OPSEC and INFOSEC. They are absolutely compelled to shout about their projects from every mountain top, and seek donations for their copyright-infringing projects. We used to call this "getting FOXxed" due to all of the Aliens games and modifications getting slapped down, but people are just dumb about it now, not merely careless.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Be grateful for what's available. It an impressive project and I appreciate the work that's gone into it, but its not like we're short of ways to play Wolf3D in the present day.

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    And this is partially why I rarely post anymore. Seems to be a lot of entitlement!
    You wanna talk about entitlement? How about you give me your last paycheck, real quick like. LOL

Thread Information