Quantcast

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 favorite Genesis games, and why!

Old Sega is where it's at Wildside Expert Mykale's Avatar

had the best times with road rash 3d, and road rash for psx

Banned by Administrators

Ionno how I missed this topic.

1) Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    2) Sonic 3d blast
    3) Sonic 2
    4) Phantasy Star 4
    5) TMNT: Hyper Stone Heist
    6) Megaman Willy Wars
    7) Langrisser 2
    8) Castlevania Bloodlines
    9) Pier Solar
    10) Thunder Force 4

And what just blew my mind is just trying to name 10 good genesis games was really hard for me to do.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post

2) Sonic 3d blast

And what just blew my mind is just trying to name 10 good genesis games was really hard for me to do.
    Apparently, it wasn't hard enough.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    The saturn version is in every way better but, I enjoy both versions. This is surprisingly one of my most played Sonic games.
    He likes the game, what's the problem with that?
    The thread title is "Your top 10 favorite..." and not "Olls's top 10 favorite..."

fa·vor·ite [fey-ver-it, feyv-rit]
    noun
    a person or thing regarded with special favor or preference: That song is an old favorite of mine.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    Thats not what she said! But does this mean we cant be lovers anymore :'(

There is no spoon. Death Adder's minion robot-boy's Avatar

Pick 10 Genny games? Very hard for me to do because there are so many I find favorite. I love the Genesis era of gaming, many memories. That is why I am a retro gamer and spend much of my time still playing those games. No special order,
    Bio Hazard Battle- love the atmosphere this game has, I play this one often
    Outrun- love this game, graphics, music, gameplay, I like the arcade genre racers. This port is just a dream to play.
    Gunstar Heroes- I remember when I first purchased this game, my first thoughts were, "No way that I am playing something like this on the Genesis!" This game is an all out brawl and showed how so many other programmers sucked with their Genny offerings.
    Mega Turrican-One of the best Turrican games that I have ever played. The graphics and gameplay are tops.
    Kid Chameleon- I fell in love with this game from the first time that I played it. I find it so addicting. And some day I am going to finish it! One of the best platformers.
    Phantasy Star 4- I slowly developed a love for RPGs over the years and went back and stared playing them. This total package remains one of my favorites.
    Strider- Some of the most fun that can be had with a "arcade to home" port can be found in this game.
    Truxton- I think that shooters are my favorite genre. This is a great top down shooter and a great arcade translation.
    Streets of Rage 2- One of the best side scrolling beatem ups available. I have tons of fun with this one.
    Lightening Force- I cannot count the times that I have played through this top notch shooter. My memories of first laying hands on this back during the glory days are still burned into my brain. Love the Thunder Force series.

So many games that I would like to list here. Maybe we should have a favorite 25 games. That would be easier for me to list. I want to list Chuck Rock 2, Dynamite Headdy, Vectorman, Fire Shark, Arrow Flash, Aero Blasters, Aladdin, and the list can go on and on. Lots of great games on this system still worth playing.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

This always changes depending on what mood I'm in but as of 10/10/11 these are my top ten Genesis games.

1.) Sonic 3 and Knuckles: I know this is two games technically but it's always been one giant game to me. This game was an obsession for me when I was a kid and it's still one of the greatest 2D platforming epics ever assembled. It pushed the Genesis to its limits and beyond. It's fun, addictive and simply fantastic in every way. As much as I enjoy the other Sonic titles to me, this one is special.

2.) Gunstar Heroes: Very close to being number one, this game is probably my favorite action title in existence. It's just pure, kinetic fun. Explosions everywhere, awesome weapons system and unique levels and bosses. I also love the Mega Man style level selection. It's got endless amounts of replay value for me, especially when playing with a friend.

3.) Shinobi III: When I think about the best action adventure games of the 16-bit era sometimes I drift over to the SNES for games like Mega Man X and Super Metroid. Shinobi III however is ever bit as good and perhaps even more so. This is the definitive ninja sidescroller with amazing level design and beautiful play control. I like the Ninja Gaiden games but compared to this they can go suck an egg.

4.) MUSHA: One of my favorite shmups of all time. Some may call it overrated but I feel MUSHA is the Radiant Silvergun of the Genesis in terms of quality (and occasionally price). Beautiful graphics and sound not just for such an old game, but for the Genesis in general. The action is balanced perfectly for me and I love the weapons, enemies, levels and bosses. It's the total package. Compile was really a master of the craft.

5.) Rocket Knight Adventures: A lot of mascot-style platformers fell flat on their faces but Rocket Knight Adventures stands above the pack as an incredible offering from Konami. This game pushes the Genesis graphically in ways I didn't think possible and is one of the prettiest titles on the console. The gameplay is fast paced and fun and exactly what I'd expect from a classic Konami title. I also feel the original game blows its sequels out of the water (though I haven't played the modern remake yet).

6.) Streets of Rage 2: If I had to narrow it down to one beat'em up on the system, this would be it. I've spent countless hours playing this and the original Streets of Rage with friends. The music is top notch and I tend to have more fun playing this game than a lot of more advanced titles in the genre. I don't know what makes it special, it just is.

7.) Ghostbusters: This is just a personal nostalgia one for me. I rented this game more times than I care to remember and it was one of the first games I hunted down when I started collecting. Yeah it's a mediocre little platformer but at the time it was the greatest Ghostbusters game available and I was completely in love with it. I still have a lot of fun playing this game today. It brings back a lot of good memories.

8.) Ranger-X: It's getting hard now because there's lots of games I still want to list but I can't leave out Ranger X. This game is beautiful and as a huge mecha fan it's one of the best robot combat games on the Genesis.

9.) Target Earth: Another game that tugs on my mecha fanboyism. I love the Gundam/Macross style themes going on in this game. It's brutally difficult but that only adds to the fun for me. The mission-based levels are a pretty uncommon and welcome thing for a Genesis game and the variety of weapons is really cool. It's probably my favorite game in the Assault Suits series though I'm also a fan of Cybernator for the SNES and it's "spiritual sequel" Metal Warriors.

10.) Lightening Force: Arbitrary misspelled name change aside, this is a true shmup classic along with Thunder Force 3 which could easily take this game's place on my list depending on what mood I'm in. A horizontal shmup masterpiece, the reason I probably listed this over TF3 is because it feels like it's on such a grand scale. That mission where other ships show up to fight along side you was particularly memorable and something I'd never seen in a shmup before. I can't heap enough praise on this game.

Honorable Mentions (because 10 is not enough):

Outrun: I'm not much for racing games but Outrun is so laid back and fun. I guess that's because it's a "driving game" as Yu Suzuki put it.
    Truxton/Steel Empire/Fire Shark/Gaiares/Thunderforce III/etc. : You could probably add some other fantastic shmups here as well that I adore. They're all amazing.
    Vectorman/Vectorman 2: These games get a lot of flack and a lot of praise. I really love them though.
    Earthworm Jim: A classic and a work of art.
    Herzog Zwei: Not just a great innovator but a fantastic game and one of the best multiplayer titles of all time.
    Subterranea: Another wicked hard and very unique mission-based game that's close to my heart.
    Pulseman: What an awesome little platformer! I feel like Mega Man Battle Network really took a lot of inspiration from this one. I wish it would have been released in the US. Plotting on buying a reproduction.
    Shadow Squadron: My favorite 32X game. Really cool sci-fi flight sim.
    Castlevania Bloodlines: It's classic Castlevania what's not to love?
    Road Rash Series: My favorite racing games of all time. Like I said I don't really like racing games but when you add a baseball bat to the equation that changes.
    General Chaos: Always found this one fun and addicting.
    Strike Series: Really cool mission based helicopter games. I used to rent these games all the time. I like Battletech for the same reasons.
    Starflight: What an incredible adventure/simulator. You can lose days of your time exploring this game.
    Phantom 2040: The closest you can get to Metroid on the Genesis and a damn fine game.
    Aladdin: Even today the animation is incredibly well done.

I'll stop myself now since I can go on forever.
    Last edited by Obviously; 10-10-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robot-boy View Post
    Pick 10 Genny games? Very hard for me to do because there are so many I find favorite. I love the Genesis era of gaming, many memories. That is why I am a retro gamer and spend much of my time still playing those games. No special order,
    Bio Hazard Battle- love the atmosphere this game has, I play this one often
    Outrun- love this game, graphics, music, gameplay, I like the arcade genre racers. This port is just a dream to play.
    Gunstar Heroes- I remember when I first purchased this game, my first thoughts were, "No way that I am playing something like this on the Genesis!" This game is an all out brawl and showed how so many other programmers sucked with their Genny offerings.
    Mega Turrican-One of the best Turrican games that I have ever played. The graphics and gameplay are tops.
    Kid Chameleon- I fell in love with this game from the first time that I played it. I find it so addicting. And some day I am going to finish it! One of the best platformers.
    Phantasy Star 4- I slowly developed a love for RPGs over the years and went back and stared playing them. This total package remains one of my favorites.
    Strider- Some of the most fun that can be had with a "arcade to home" port can be found in this game.
    Truxton- I think that shooters are my favorite genre. This is a great top down shooter and a great arcade translation.
    Streets of Rage 2- One of the best side scrolling beatem ups available. I have tons of fun with this one.
    Lightening Force- I cannot count the times that I have played through this top notch shooter. My memories of first laying hands on this back during the glory days are still burned into my brain. Love the Thunder Force series.

So many games that I would like to list here. Maybe we should have a favorite 25 games. That would be easier for me to list. I want to list Chuck Rock 2, Dynamite Headdy, Vectorman, Fire Shark, Arrow Flash, Aero Blasters, Aladdin, and the list can go on and on. Lots of great games on this system still worth playing.
    I know right? The Genesis has so many epic games it boggles the mind. Yes I have a top ten but the honorable mentions just go on and on and on.
    Babies...the unfortunate by-product of a good time.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert retronostalgia's Avatar

Hi Everyone... FYI, over the last couple of months I've gone through this thread, collected everyone's lists, and assembled a combined "Top 100" list... See my post here for details: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...634#post865634

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Lets try this... sounds fun enough.

10. Langrisser - and why... Love the story, Urushihara characters, and the wonderful music. There is something really compelling about this game.
    9. Xeno Crisis - Tough as nails. But its really nice to have a game that pushes the envelop, kind of 30 years later.
    8. Snow Bros - Huge fan of the Toaplan PCB game. And this is one fabulous port.
    7. Raiden Densetsu - This is a flawed port. Lots of stuff is missing. But despite all its flaws its so much fun and satisfying to play. And that is what counts.
    6. Shadow Dancer - This plays and feels like the Arcade Shinobi. One hit kills. Super tight 1:1 controls. Very strategic. And brilliant level layout.
    5. Aero Blasters - Another amazing Arcade port. Full screen shooter with 2 player action. That's quite rare on the mega drive.
    4. Devil Crash MD - This is the epitome of a quick gaming fix. I can play this for five minutes, or for five+ hours. Never gets old.
    3. Sonic The Hedgehog - Exceptionally polished game. Sega could have released this in the Arcade in 1991 and it still would have been a massive hit.
    2. Monster Wolrd IV - Huge Wonder Boy fan. And this one is the most charming iteration. I miss Ryuichi Nishizawa games. Well Aquario is just around the corner...
    1. Musha Aleste - This is my fave 16bit shooter. Bought Mega Drive consoles time and time again because i missed this game so much.

Pretty happy to own all of these in cartridge form. Only missing Snow Bros... who would have thought, lol. And sorry to bump a necro thread.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    Lets try this... sounds fun enough.

10. Langrisser - and why... Love the story, Urushihara characters, and the wonderful music. There is something really compelling about this game.
    9. Xeno Crisis - Tough as nails. But its really nice to have a game that pushes the envelop, kind of 30 years later.
    8. Snow Bros - Huge fan of the Toaplan PCB game. And this is one fabulous port.
    7. Raiden Densetsu - This is a flawed port. Lots of stuff is missing. But despite all its flaws its so much fun and satisfying to play. And that is what counts.
    6. Shadow Dancer - This plays and feels like the Arcade Shinobi. One hit kills. Super tight 1:1 controls. Very strategic. And brilliant level layout.
    5. Aero Blasters - Another amazing Arcade port. Full screen shooter with 2 player action. That's quite rare on the mega drive.
    4. Devil Crash MD - This is the epitome of a quick gaming fix. I can play this for five minutes, or for five+ hours. Never gets old.
    3. Sonic The Hedgehog - Exceptionally polished game. Sega could have released this in the Arcade in 1991 and it still would have been a massive hit.
    2. Monster Wolrd IV - Huge Wonder Boy fan. And this one is the most charming iteration. I miss Ryuichi Nishizawa games. Well Aquario is just around the corner...
    1. Musha Aleste - This is my fave 16bit shooter. Bought Mega Drive consoles time and time again because i missed this game so much.

Pretty happy to own all of these in cartridge form. Only missing Snow Bros... who would have thought, lol. And sorry to bump a necro thread.
    Play Raiden Fusaru color hack, is superb job and on par with arcade.
    Last edited by Chev Chelios; 08-04-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by retronostalgia View Post
    Hi Everyone... FYI, over the last couple of months I've gone through this thread, collected everyone's lists, and assembled a combined "Top 100" list... See my post here for details: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...634#post865634
    Nice work.

Though I've completely overhauled my top-10 list since I posted in this thread 9 years ago.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

I found this tricky as there's so many to choose from but my top 10 mega drive games in reverse order are:

10) Skitchin' - this game is incredibly 90s from the characters, their outfits, the colours and the soundtrack. Skitchin' was seriously cool in my eyes.

9) Toy Story - neat platformer and the 3D level with the aliens blew my young mind.

8) Cool Spot - a nice little platformer which I never tired of playing. The level designs are good and I think it strikes the right balance in terms of challenge and enjoyment.

7) NHL 96 - brilliant ice hockey game and sports game in general. The ability to put yourself in the game made it more fun. I particularly enjoyed racking up the penalty count with the game version of me and was always spoiling for a fight.

6) PGA Tour Golf 3 - bit of a random one but I was a golf loving kid and thought PGA Golf Tour 3 was superb. I could create myself in the game and become the number 1 ranked golfer on the money list. Was gutted when I lent it to a mate and they saved over my progress.

5) Jurassic Park - which kid wasn't obsessed with Jurassic Park in 93?! Anything with Dr Grant and dinosaurs was always going to be a winner.

4) Micro Machines 96 - simple concept, fun to play and the ability to plug two controllers into the cart was brilliant. Strangely preferred the single player modes than multiplayer. Spent hours replaying tracks trying to shave off a fraction of a second here and there to beat my personal best times.

3) Sonic the Hedgehog - the first game I ever played on the mega drive at my Aunt's house. Instantly loved it and bugged my parents for a mega drive for the next 2 Christmases!

2) Streets of Rage 2 - could quite easily have included SoR and SoR 3 in my list but SoR2 wins out. Played endlessly on my own but really comes into its own when playing with mates.

1) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Christmas 1992 and finally my parents bought me a mega drive and the newly released Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Can't tell you how many hours I have spent playing this or how many times I've completed it, yet it never gets old.
    Last edited by Spendle; 08-05-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Night Driver View Post
    Though I've completely overhauled my top-10 list since I posted in this thread 9 years ago.
    Mine would change a fair bit too, especially my #1. Just now I came up with something like this:

1. Gain Ground
    2. Light Crusader
    3. Marble Madness (Tengen)
    4. Granada
    5. Landstalker
    6. Golden Axe II
    7. Faery Tale Adventure
    8. Shining in the Darkness
    9. David Crane's Amazing Tennis
    10. Warrior of Rome II

Ask me on another day, and games like Jewel Master and El Viento might claim one of those spots. But I really do think Gain Ground is the best Genesis game I've played -- it's just so fun yet challenging, it scales perfectly for solo play or co-op, and its difficulty levels are actually interesting rather than typical pro forma challenge-through-tedium-or-cheapness nonsense.

Fatal Rewind would have a shot if the higher difficulty levels didn't exist -- I love the brutal gameplay, I just don't like the fact that those unreasonable difficulties are even present (typical Psygnosis), as the game would be perfectly designed without them and becomes stupid with them.

Still fond of Columns, Shadow of the Beast, Sword of Sodan, Sunset Riders, and World of Illusion from the old list too.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

1. Castelvania Bloodlines (Prue gameplay, great graphics and my fist castelvania game, and the Music(this will be a theme with my list))

2. Herzog Zwei (great two play, excellent graphics and technosoft music)

3. Sonic the Hedgehog(the origional really was a huge jump from the nes in style, character and sound. It was a real wow moment)

4. Ecco: tides of Time (this game is fantastic and full of atmosphere, also has the best Music out of all the western developed games)

5. Gunstar Heroes (great two player, frantic colorful action)

6. Street Fighter SCE (one of the greatest one fighting games ever made)

7. Thunder Force 4 (Amazing graphics, perfect balance in the gameplay and technosoft music)

8. Street of Rage 2 (A perfect combination of 2 player Arcade quality graphics and master level music)

9. Soliel/Crusader of Centy (A great action RPG with loads of personality and I like it better than a link to the past)

10. Rocket Knight Adventure (Konami knock it out of the park with one of the most beautiful 16-bit game, they dropped the ball with the sequel)
    Last edited by Heilong79; 08-04-2020 at 09:19 PM. Reason: bolding

Thread Information