Quantcast

Thread: Buzzing from Genesis model 2 AC adapter

Default Buzzing from Genesis model 2 AC adapter

I bought a new model 2 genesis a few months back and the guy I bought it from on ebay sent me the wrong power cord, so I went and bought an offbrand AC adapter for model 2 genesis.

The thing works fine, but there's one problem with it. When it's plugged in, it makes a very annoying buzzing sound. When I turn the console on, the buzzing stops, but when i turn it back off it will start buzzing again. This is incredibly annoying as I need to plug/unplug every time I want to use my genesis. Is there any way to fix this??

If there's no way to fix it, anyone know where I can find an AC adapter that doesnt suffer from this same problem? I just need a cheap, reliable one.

Actually if someone has a spare original genesis model 2 ac adapter I have an original model 1 adapter I'd be willing to trade for it. PM me if interested.

Is it a switchmode style of power supply? You should be able to tell as it will/should be light compared to your model 1 power supply.

*Some* switchmode power supplies can be noisy little buggers.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    Is it a switchmode style of power supply? You should be able to tell as it will/should be light compared to your model 1 power supply.

*Some* switchmode power supplies can be noisy little buggers.
    It definitely is much lighter than my model 1 power supply. I'm probably just going to buy a different one hopefully the next one isn't noisy. That's what I get for buying the cheap brand crap

They can also be "noisy" as in induce crap into the dc input voltage and you will get interference in the video. That really sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    They can also be "noisy" as in induce crap into the dc input voltage and you will get interference in the video. That really sucks!
    I just got a original Sega model 2 power supply in the mail and after using it I honestly think that cheapo AC adapter I had bought previously was giving me some interference in the video. Things didn't look as clear as they should. I noticed a significant difference with the new supply.

I never knew that something as simple as the power supply could actually cause problems with the video. Not to mention that buzzing was annoying. I'd advise anyone who needs a new power supply to always just buy a original Sega one as they are just much better quality than all the new ones that are sold for so cheap. It's tempting to buy them when you need one because they are so cheap. I think I payed 3 bucks for that other adapter. Payed 12$ for a Sega one but it was worth the money.

That's the way mate! Glad it worked out in the end.

Thread Information