Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMS built-in games revisions question.

Default SMS built-in games revisions question.

I'm trying to figure out how many revisions of the Master System with built-in games are there in the US.

After repairing a SMS recently, it actually came with the uncommon -Missile Command 3-D- game built-in, model 3010-C.

I know some came with Hang-On/Safari Hunt, some without (although with the secret snail maze game), and I also have a 3010-B model with Hang-on only.

I read somewhere that there is another model with Hang-On/Astro Warrior combo. Can anyone in the US verify this, or was it distributed somewhere else?

mine is a 3d missile defense i hate the title song because i only hear it when i plug in a dirty cart

make sure and visit my album

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Some of them came with Alex Kidd too didn't they? IDK, the concept of having games built directly into the system is a mind-boggling concept that I'm utterly fascinated by

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

i think its weird that there is carts and cards i really don't get the reasoning was the card slot incapable of accepting 2-mega games?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by negative chill View Post
    Some of them came with Alex Kidd too didn't they? IDK, the concept of having games built directly into the system is a mind-boggling concept that I'm utterly fascinated by
    Some SMS2 systems came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I've seen and heard a few examples of this from people in the U.S., but can't say for sure if it was released there.

I've also heard that some SMS2 systems had the first Sonic game built-in, but it could have been a European thing. I once read that it was in a particular region of PAL land, but that doesn't rule out it possibly appearing on the latest models released in the U.S., or possibly Canada, which received some games that the U.S. didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Yes true, later versions of the SMS2 had Sonic.

I have one, they aren't as regular Alex Kidd though.

This is an Aussie SMS2.

From my vague memory, I think it has the Fujitsu MB3514 video encoder (as opposed to the Sony encoder).
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

I have two European systems:

Master System 1 with Safari Hunt
    and a Master System 2 with Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

I remember as a kid I had MS1 with Snail Maze and I once had a MS2 with Sonic built in. All European, eventually I can check the model numbers and list them here.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Some SMS2 systems came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I've seen and heard a few examples of this from people in the U.S., but can't say for sure if it was released there.

I've also heard that some SMS2 systems had the first Sonic game built-in, but it could have been a European thing. I once read that it was in a particular region of PAL land, but that doesn't rule out it possibly appearing on the latest models released in the U.S., or possibly Canada, which received some games that the U.S. didn't.
    SMS2 with Alex Kidd in Miracle World was definitely released in US/Canada (I played it in store in WA and at a friend's in BC) although they used Lost Stars art on the package for some reason. Sonic was released in NA on the system's deathbed so there wouldn't have been any point in making a built-in Sonic model here.

I have two European versions of the Master System 1. One has Alex Kidd, the other one doesn't have a built-in game, just a BIOS screen. Though I'm pretty it has the Snail Maze game.

I think the Hang-On / Astro Warrior combo came on a cart and the system had Snail Maze built in. I'm basing this on having met someone who had that setup.

The Master System I have without any built-in games came with Hang On on a card.

i'm kind of sad

press up and button 1 and 2 when you turn it on

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 0x15e View Post
    I think the Hang-On / Astro Warrior combo came on a cart and the system had Snail Maze built in. I'm basing this on having met someone who had that setup.
    My SMS was like that. Well, two SMSes, the first one broked within the warranty period and the replacement was the same way.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

My first Master System that I got from a yardsale in the nineties just had the snail maze game on it. I forget what my current one has, if anything. Sounds like an excuse to hook it up, I guess.

Edit: aaaand it's dead! Yay. Yet another case of a system that worked when it was last powered off, and dead when it was taken back out of the box. The worst thing about having an EE degree is that I would rather take it out into the back yard and put thirty rounds of 7.62 through it than even START troubleshooting it.
    Last edited by Raijin Z; 09-08-2015 at 01:24 AM.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Sell it on ebay rather than throw it in the trash. Or donate it to someone in the forums. Someone might be able to revive it or at least use some of its parts for repair.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Thread Information