Quantcast

Thread: Suggestions for interview with John Pedigo, producer of the cancelled "X-Women!"

Default Suggestions for interview with John Pedigo, producer of the cancelled "X-Women!"

A couple of days ago, someone posted a comment on the "X-Women" YouTube video that I posted up ages ago:

The commenter happened to be John Pedigo, producer of this elusive, cancelled game on behalf of Sega of America. John offered a small anecdote on the game that immediately piqued my interest:

Ok here is the story...I was the producer on the game for Sega...So there were a combination of factors that led to it's demise...Sega was moving away from 16 bit altogether, X-Women was going to be the last Genesis game....As a producer I failed because I became too good of friends with Clockwork (we were going to raves and parting hard). When it became time to be a hard ass boss, I wasn't and they didn't think so either...And the my only coder has some personal issues that he needed to take care of...Cleverly the coding was done in Assembly which made it almost impossible to find another programmer to work on it....and so a combination of all that killed X-Women. I have heard there is a directors cut of most of it from Clockwork...I did have a ROM for a few years but came up empty when I tried to fire it up...Steve the artist did a awesome job on the bodies...I haven't talk to those guys since 1998.

I contacted John so he could tell me more about his dealings with SoA and Clockwork Tortoise, in the process telling him about Sega-16 and the great interview Melf conducted with Clockwork alumnus Chris George a few years back. The interview seemed to hit close to home with him, one thing led to another and now he's gracious enough to do an e-mail interview with me.

Any suggestions as to what questions regarding "X-Women", SoA and the twilight of the 16-Bit era I could ask Mr. Pedigo? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Ask about:

• When he joined & left Sega.
    • His various projects.
    • In Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble, he's credited as an "international Liason". Perhaps there's an interesting story to that.
    • The 32X discontinuation. Try for specifics if possible.
    • Changes that occurred after Kalinske left.
    • The amount of time that passed before X-Women was finally canceled.

Will do, thanks for the suggestions.

Any more before I pull the trigger so to speak?

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

• What best describes how the marketing department was?
    • Was he in direct contact with SIMS during the development of MMPR: The Movie?
    • How does he feel it compares to MMPR?
    • How does he feel Taz in Escape From Mars compares to Taz-Mania?

I'm glad to say that John responded to my questions, and that my submission is coming soon!

Cheesage, your Bugs Bunny "International Liaison" question DID indeed yield an interesting story, you have a talent for this stuff, man.
    Last edited by Aarzak; 11-26-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Awesome! I can't wait to read it!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Steve Woita mentioned some negative changes within the company's culture in 1993 which appearently was the reason talents like Woita, Scott Berfield and Mark Cerny decided to leave. Did Pedigo notice this change and if so what does he think about it ?

It seems all of Sega of America's original games were green lit before said change (including Comix Zone), while almost all post 1993 games were licensed games. Does Pedigo feel SOA was scared of original games ?

It is known for many games developed at SOA that developers were given extremely tight schedules to come up with a finished product. Was that the case with some of his projects as well?

Was he already at SOA during the Katz era ? What was different under Katz? Did Katz have to leave because of his opposition/changes to Sonic ?
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Sorry man, the interview's done already.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

i'm excited to read it as well! didn't even know this was a thing before.

Check your PM, Sir Melf.

Thread Information