Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast Version Vs. N64/GC Version

Dc Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast Version Vs. N64/GC Version

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 1-3 are some of my all time favorite games. And a Dreamcast picked up at a garage sale several years ago started my study into the mysterious Sega systems that alluded me during my childhood.
    I'm definitely in the market for Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast.

I first played RE1-3 on my PS1. Later down the road I purchased RE0-3 all on the GameCube. I only played the original remake and later sold 2-3. I want to compare the different version w/ an empathies on the Dreamcast and N64.

Focusing on Resident Evil 2.

-Dreamcast version
    1.) Incorporates real-time display of the character's condition on the Visual Memory Unit peripheral. Badass probably one of the best VMU display uses.
    2.) A "Data Gallery" was added to the main menu, allowing the player to view movies, rough sketches, illustrations and 3D models. Very nice! Is that included on the N64 or GameCube versions?
    3.) Runs at 60 frames per second during gameplay. Whoa! What does that mean? How does that compare to the PS1, GameCube, & N64 version?
    4.) Extreme Battle Mini Game?
    5.) Alternate Costumes?
    6.) Characters look sharper but lower resolution backgrounds? When compared to N64, GameCube, or PS1?[/COLOR]?
    Say it aint true I love the backgrounds.

-GameCube Version
    1.) Basically the same thing as the duel shock version for PlayStation.
    2.) No extras added to this one just a bit of good vibrations. (to my knowledge)
    3.) Enhanced graphics characters and backgrounds?

-N64 version
    1.) Its a cartridge. That's pretty sweet.
    2.) Highest quality music of all versions? Not sure.
    3.) Supports the console's Expansion Pak accessory for a maximum resolution of 640480 during gameplay & adjusts its display resolution depending on the number of polygonal models currently on screen.
    How does that compare to the Dreamcast running at 60 frames per second during gameplay?
    4.) Other visual enhancements include smoother character animations and sharper, perspective-corrected textures for the 3D models.
    Smoother than the PS1 but smoother than the Dreamcast & GameCube also?
    5.) Alternate costumes, the ability to adjust the degree of violence and to change the blood color, a randomizer to place items differently during each playthrough, and a more responsive first-person control scheme. All of that sounds great, N64 your control scheme is more responsive? You sons of bitches.
    6.) 16 new in-game documents known as the "Ex Files. Damn I'm a sucker for extras.
    7.) No Extreme Battle Mini game. Not important to me.

Feel free to share your thoughts, answer any question I put forth or correct misinformation I may have posted. I'm curious to hear yalls opinions I really want the Dreamcast version of one of my favorite games to add to the collection. Though I have also recently acquired a N64 and it seems that version may be superior.
    Last edited by Creek Indian; 11-03-2013 at 10:26 PM.

bump
    W E L C O
    M E T O T
    H E N E X
    T
    L E V E L

I'm on the look out for the N64 version. It's the only one I haven't played. I have the expansion pack, so I want to see how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I'm on the look out for the N64 version. It's the only one I haven't played. I have the expansion pack, so I want to see how it looks.
    At this point it's more of a novelty purchase if you're just concerned about the main game. Though it was, and still is an impressive feat for a cart-based game.

I remember being surprised at seeing DC versions of RE2, 3 and Dino Crisis on store shelves during the 2000 holiday season, and taking them for granted despite their $20 price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Did you notice if the characters and backgrounds looked better on the GameCube or the Dreamcast?
    W E L C O
    M E T O T
    H E N E X
    T
    L E V E L

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Indian View Post
    I'm defiantly in the market for Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast.
    If you're defiantly in the market, then does that mean you really don't want Resident Evil 2 for Dreamcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwario64 View Post
    If you're defiantly in the market, then does that mean you really don't want Resident Evil 2 for Dreamcast?
    I think it means I'm looking to buy a copy of Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast. In one weeks time I will have the funds to purchase and I'll do so. But with the information I've come to read I might have to invest in a N64 version. The collector in me might not let me rest until I do.

I still want to know everything that anyone knows about the different versions.
    W E L C O
    M E T O T
    H E N E X
    T
    L E V E L

Banned by Administrators

i got re 2 3 code veronica on dc and they rock

i heard forum guys loving re veronica most on dc. and i really cant say why /s they must have a good reason for that

Raging in the Streets

Code Veronica has some lovely extra bugs in the Gamecube & PS2 ports if memory serves correctly that don't exist in the DC version, the graphics aren't really any better either.

I prefer the Dreamcast/PC port of RE2 for Extreme Battle mode which I find enjoyable, I just need to pick up RE1 Saturn.

Banned by Administrators

nobody mentions the ds version of resident evil 1 deadly silence.
    this version has 2 modes. one mode having a first person action in some scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yd7yOKN5V0
    Last edited by Semmie; 11-03-2013 at 07:00 PM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Indian View Post
    I think it means I'm looking to buy a copy of Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast. In one weeks time I will have the funds to purchase and I'll do so. But with the information I've come to read I might have to invest in a N64 version. The collector in me might not let me rest until I do.

I still want to know everything that anyone knows about the different versions.
    The word you are looking for is definitely. Defiantly is an adjective also, but means nothing relevant to the rest of your statement. For some reason a lot of people misspell definitely as defiantly online today, along with bad punctuation, capitalization and grammar.

I would also like to see a detailed comparison of the different versions of Resident Evil. I know the Gamecube games are entire remakes with a ton of FMV replacing the static backgrounds. I know that the Dreamcast games, aside from Code Veronica, are quick ports of the PC versions. That is about it.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

If I remember correctly the Dreamcast and Gamecube ports are both based on the PC version and as a result both use the same quality assets for the models, textures, and backgrounds.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

the n64 version was one of the most impressive n64 games period. however the dreamcast version is the best imo. gc version was even more disapointing port than dc version.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    If I remember correctly the Dreamcast and Gamecube ports are both based on the PC version and as a result both use the same quality assets for the models, textures, and backgrounds.
    I think you're right. If I remember correctly, the GameCube port is nothing more than a direct port of the Dreamcast one, minus a lot of the extras.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Yeah, the N64 version is great. It does have lower-quality FMVs than the other versions, though. I believe it also reuses a few FMVs in both characters' stories in order to save space? Otherwise, best version, I think.

Thread Information