Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All remaining Blockbuster stores are closing

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Totally, I remember actually getting interested in collecting movies when DVD prices went down!

Before that VHS tapes were just too expensive for me as a kid, then later when I did have the money I had lost trust in VHS
    as a storage medium, especially after that one tape of mine got eaten by my VHS recorder, sure maybe it was a bad tape.
    but.. it did show me how easy it is for these things to die, so when DVD came on the market I pretty much immediately adopted it.
    then when prices went down I really bought a lot of DVD's over the years, and now there's Bluray.. but again its too expensive.
    I can buy them sure, but.. its just not logical to spend money when you know that in the future Bluray prices are either going down
    or Bluray as a format disappears completely.

Maybe when Bluray prices go down I'll end up buying the newer movies like Iron Man and Thor on Bluray, but right now I'm
    playing the waiting game. 23 euro's for a Bluray is just too much, I'd pay 10 but that's it.
    Same here, although Blu rays have hit that $5 - $20 price range in the states that my wallet can agree with. I've always loved the idea of owning a movie library, but VHS was too much of a pain to start one with much conviction. There were simply too many movies that you could only find in video rental places. Yeah, my renting days were over the moment DVDs came down in price.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Blockbuster came way after the local mom and pop chains where I grew up and sure they were busy and outlasted the local mom and pop chains however my family barely rented from them because they didn't have shit for games or movies plus the prices were stupid high and rental policies sucked so less reason to go. I know they outlasted the local mom and pop chains but what killed the local chains I think was shitty business practices that rivaled blockbuster and too many hands in the pot - there were six to ten places in an area of 30,000 (give or take)

When I lived in VA they closed rapidly a couple of years ago, one right after another. There's still one open a couple of miles from me in FL but closing soon and I'm sure as hell surprised it lasted this long... I think it's the last store in the Tampa area but I could be wrong. I dated a girl who worked for them for so many years and kept going back to them to work despite getting fucked.

I'm not a huge fan of this guy, in fact I think he's fucking retarded but he brings up some good points: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Ki5...50af7IykapGYG0
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I really miss it, feel like the more advanced technology becomes, the less we interact with each other. The closing of Blockbuster I think signifies a much deeper problem with our society.
    I agree. I love books and I love large, all encompassing libraries even more. I love how aged paper smells and the texture of the pages on your fingers as you turn them. That's one of the reasons why my fondness for newer comic books has waned since they got rid of the news stock that they used and replaced with......I'm not even sure what you'd call it.

Anyway, my point was that I'm going to be very upset when all physical media goes away, especially books.

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

My fondest memory of Blockbuster is getting a small box of popcorn with rentals.

Come home with three games and popcorn to munch on. Friday night was staying up as late as possible playing whatever games I had rented.

This jawusumness didn't translate into the later movie renting years.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raúl Julia...

I went to Hollywood Video a lot and was sad when they closed. They were a big chain but not as big as Blockbuster. They would sell used dvds at good prices and they would repackage them and say pre owned.
    One thing I do remember growing up was that the mom and pop stores opened and closed all the time. A store would sprout up and within a few years it would be gone. People can blame Blockbuster and big chains for that but Ive seen those stores close down where there was no Blockbusters close by.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

The hermit inside me is happy that the world is moving this way, soon all will be like me!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I really miss it, feel like the more advanced technology becomes, the less we interact with each other. The closing of Blockbuster I think signifies a much deeper problem with our society.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    All I can say is damn, kids growing up these days may be extremely spoiled but their childhood is bound to be so freakin' boring growing up on a iPad for everything from school, to socializing, to video games, might as well insert the feeding tube. I guess it just shows that I'm old and outdated myself, but that's not my idea of the way things ought to be. I'm really starting to resent the push for technology to be integrated into and change every aspect of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Shame it ended here too, but that's life.. everything ends, and kids these days will be able to rent digitally
    They won't ride their bicycles, they'll sit home. Eat fatty foods, insult each other on xbox live, and die at
    age 40 weighing as much as an elephant.

PROGRESS!
    All awesome posts. Glad you guys said these things before me, because every time I say things along these lines, everyone says "you're just looking through rose tinted glasses!"

Catchin The Vapor Trail Wildside Expert BoostedGR33K's Avatar

My Sega Genesis - related blockbuster memory.... I was in there looking at games to rent, and saw a sign that read "COMMING SOON - THE SEGA 32X!" Cant remember what all it said, but I saw 32 bit and thought 'DAYUM! DOUBLE THE BITS???!!!' The guy working the counter was talking to me and said 'Like Sega do ya?' Of course I was like 'Psht....please! I love Sega!' He took me off to the side away from the other customers and was like 'Well, we arent supposed to put them out till next tuesday, but since you're a sega fan like me, I'll let you rent one and a couple games if you want.' I was a king for that weekend - everyone was swinging thru to check it out. Ahhhh those were the days....

I only started really renting from blockbuster when the drugstore down the street stopped having movies and games for rent. Most of my genesis collection was their 'clearance' games when they started getting rid of their rental side of the store. The rest I purchased at a local TV/VCR/Home Audio/Car Audio Video game shop called 'Sound Advice'. It was all trial and error back then... now with the interwebs you can check out what you want in full motion video before a purchase. Times have changed indeed...
    Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I have never liked renting at Blockbuster. I have always had more inexpensive alternative shops to rent from, so I have rarely rented there over the years. Honestly, since this whole bankruptcy thing started a few years ago, I have shopped there more than ever. They frequently have had DVDs and Blus marked down for sale, and when a shop near went out of business last year, I bought one of their shelving fixtures for $50, and it is great. I've got most of my games displayed on it.

Also, I have never had to deal with the whole nostalgia thing when it comes to video stores, because I still rent from them all the time and have never stopped. The rental market is still thriving in Michigan (and Ohio), even with the netflix and redbox competition.

Murder Victim Master of Shinobi Why-Disciple's Avatar

My memories of Blockbuster?

In 1996 I rented Wayne Gretzky and the NHLPA Allstars for Genesis and returned it on time, only to get a call from them telling me they're adding late fees because they didn't receive it. My mom received multiple calls like this for the same game that we kept explaining we returned, only for them to realize they had just forgotten to record that it had been returned and was on the shelf already.

In 2002 I begged my mom for a ride to Blockbuster to rent War of the Monsters, only to find that they didn't have that game on the shelf let alone available for rent. I beat myself up for being stupid enough to bug my mom and waste her time.

In 2005 I noticed they had 1 copy of God of War, which was always rented out, and 7 copies of Playboy: the Game, none of which were ever rented out.

In 2007 I remember seeing the "no more late fees" commercial and thinking there has to be a fine print somewhere because they would never make profit if everyone could just take movies for however long they like, then found out that if you did go over the late fee point, you were forced to buy the movie/game from Blockbuster at full price. The corporation was sued for this and my store closed shortly after this.

So yeah, I don't have many good memories about Blockbuster... or any other video rental place.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

^ We had to pay for a brand new copy of "The Firm" because I handed it to an employee rather than dropping it in the box. Blockbuster sent us a bill for $70, that amount I still haven't figured out.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

It's been a while since I've rented from Blockbuster. The last few times I've rented from there, was PS3 or 360 games that I didn't want to pay $60 for. I pretty much gave up on renting Blu-Ray movies from there, because they were never in-stock and the movie industry pretty much pushed them out when video on-demand and retail had copies for BB did.

I can thank Blockbuster for pretty much providing my whole Virtual Boy collection, when they were clearing out the systems for $30 and the games (boxed) for less than $5 each.

Yesterday may have been the last time I'll set foot in a Blockbuster. I picked up a copy of Dirt: Showdown (PS3) for $17. I may go back for the Sonic All-stars Racing Transformed game they have for $8.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

I am going to miss Blockbusters and rental stores in general (I guess not enough to actually have rented anything in the last 10 years).

I have real fond memories of going to Blockbuster a lot during the dwindling Genesis era and renting (The Punisher many times I love this game, Adventures of Batman and Robin couldn't get past the 1st level as a kid but loved it as well, Gargoyles actually returned it to rent Punisher for like the 10th time after playing it for a few hours, Batman Forever jeez game was garbage and I actually stood a chance playing with a 6 button pad).

I was a heavy renter during the N64 and Xbox era (thankfully I actually bought quite a few used games in this era as well like I didn't but should of during the Genesis era. Gos knows I probably paid for Punisher 2x's over at least).

Still have fond memories of looking at box art to decide if I should rent a game. Even as a kid I was so put off by Streets of Rage 3's box art I wouldn't give it a chance I thought it was a disgrace. I remember thinking I should give Comix Zone a chance but I didn't. Also both Spllaterhouse games and Chakan caught my eye everytime but I never rented them.
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Murder Victim Master of Shinobi Why-Disciple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    Still have fond memories of looking at box art to decide if I should rent a game. Even as a kid I was so put off by Streets of Rage 3's box art I wouldn't give it a chance I thought it was a disgrace. I remember thinking I should give Comix Zone a chance but I didn't. Also both Spllaterhouse games and Chakan caught my eye everytime but I never rented them.
    I remember seeing a copy of Rogue Trip at my Blockbuster for PS1 and always ignored it because I thought the box art was weird. I recently bought it and realized it's essentially the same game as Twisted Metal, which is and has always been my favorite PS1 series. I'm so upset that my 10-year-old self didn't give it a chance back then because I would have adored it. It's a bad sense of regret, thinking of the good times that could have been, am I right?

The local blockbuster to me does (it seems) very well. The video ezy however is closing down.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Thread Information