Quantcast

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Mega Drive game by 1985alternativo... Project ANTAREX - a shooter!!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training kusfo's Avatar

We've already considered the option to do the ship smaller, but we won't take that decision until the final adjustments in playability. (we already have some mocks for a smaller ship, but for now the game is pretty enjoyable with the current size)

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

heart

Thank you so much for considering it. I really do appreciate it. This game's potential is mind-blowing, and it seems you are on the right track - except for those two points.

Regular enemies should be very easy to kill, the enemy patterns/weapons strategy should be the basis for the difficulty. Having lower enemies with multiple hitpoints is almost forbidden by the unwritten law of classic video games.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Thank you so much for considering it. I really do appreciate it. This game's potential is mind-blowing, and it seems you are on the right track - except for those two points.

Regular enemies should be very easy to kill, the enemy patterns/weapons strategy should be the basis for the difficulty. Having lower enemies with multiple hitpoints is almost forbidden by the unwritten law of classic video games.
    Rule #1 for shumup games: 1 shoot, 1 kill (for regular enemies)

AMAZING JOB, guys!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Road Rasher

looks great, but needs more different ennemies and its a bit slow too.ship should have at least 3 different speeds of control like in other shmups and the ship is too big imo also the background is the same all the level, would be nice to see progression through the level. positive criticism here, not bitching!!!

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    looks great, but needs more different ennemies and its a bit slow too.ship should have at least 3 different speeds of control like in other shmups and the ship is too big imo also the background is the same all the level, would be nice to see progression through the level. positive criticism here, not bitching!!!
    I recommend taken a look at 16-bit shmups such as MUSHA, Thunder Force IV, Space Megaforce and Macross for the Super Famicom. For speed, they tend to make it a power up or straight up option on the controls.

I also recommend an animated background, Look at Arrow Flash. In the first level, you see some large ship crashing in the ocean in the background.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    I also recommend an animated background, Look at Arrow Flash. In the first level, you see some large ship crashing in the ocean in the background.
    ^I second this, as well as PreZZ's criticism of the background being same-y.

We all have our own opinions about shmups - so feel free to completely dismiss mine. But hear me out first.

I found that shmups that don't do much with the background don't feel as exciting to me. Maybe the first or second time through, but not so much afterwards (diminishing returns falls quicker). There are some exceptions, but they are more rare. Look at Gaiares as a good example of variations in the stages themselves (the first two stages). Even if the transitions in the stages are short, they can be effective. It feels like the scenario is advancing. The background IS the story in a shmup.

I think the general rule of thumb is: be cinematic about how the background is playing out, while the player blasting stuff in the foreground. If you don't do level transitions as a way to move the story/scenes along inside the level, then make what's happening in the back ground interesting. Judging from the level in the video, it seems you understand this.

But I think it could use a little more polish. In the video example, it's be more cinematic to have the moon/planet thing rising up from the lower left of the screen, coming up across the horizon line in an slow arch. Maybe have more than one planet/moon do this (different size?), and also a star following a same direction by sharper arch (far away sun; small but obviously the star of the current solar system you're in). It gives it a sense of motion through space. Have some ships in the background explode! Maybe even have a few "fall" downwards rapidly with trailing explosions (yeah, I know it's space, but cinematics always overrides realism). Maybe a piece of debris of one of those exploding/falling ships from the distance, finds its way to you, by arching downward from the upper-left, across the screen. Or multiple pieces (it becomes a short dodge event, but more for the effect of cinematics). The small absence of time between the ship exploding falling, and the debris entering your foreground play area - suggests to the player that the debris took some time to reach you (and was out of your line of focus). If you're hitting your sprite limit, you can tone down you enemy patterns for these quick events. Etc. These things I suggested don't have to be long or drawn out - they can be really quick events that happen through out a stage.

Look at the 4th stage in Super EDF (a mediocre-ish shmup). The first part of the stage is the space colony in the distance, then the second part is it up close (with lovely detail), and the third part is lasers cutting into the space colony and a whole platform, with people living on it, falls into space. It's assumed the boss did it - now you fight the boss! That bastard! Obviously you can do the scaling of the first part of the level, of the space colony, but you could have it constantly arching across the screen, with each pass it's bigger - closer to the player. Until the point where you sync in motion with the space colony. Etc.

I like when a shmup comes in with a splash, and then settles in for the long haul - rebuilding back up that initial reaction/feeling of excitement. I'm assuming the shmup level in the video is the first one/intro one. Make a splash with it.

tl;dr - Game looks great, but what's happening in the backgrounds need some polish. But yeah, definitely looking forward to this game.

I was thinking about this stuff lately and it's not necessarily the background per se: for a shmup to be remarkable it needs to have landmarks in the level that people will remember. Changing what's going on in the background is an obvious thing (or foreground! most shmups from that era had collidable foregrounds), but if the enemy/obstacle layout doesn't follow along as well then it's not going to work. Some games go as far as momentarily stopping throwing hazards at you just so you can see what's going on.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I always like it when you catch a glimpse of the future boss in the distance or something. But I agree with Tomaitheous about the background scenes being integral to the story.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I was thinking about this stuff lately and it's not necessarily the background per se: for a shmup to be remarkable it needs to have landmarks in the level that people will remember. Changing what's going on in the background is an obvious thing (or foreground! most shmups from that era had collidable foregrounds), but if the enemy/obstacle layout doesn't follow along as well then it's not going to work. Some games go as far as momentarily stopping throwing hazards at you just so you can see what's going on.

I think R-TYPE's first level really catches that. Whenever I think of R-TYPE, I always remember these 3 things of the first stage.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

IMHO I have no issue with the size of the spaceship. The playfield is alot bigger than what you see on screen. As the ship moves up and down, the screen moves in concert thereby making it easy to dodge enemies and bullets. With this in mind, reducing the space craft would make it easier.

With respect to the second point with multiple hitpoints, I am wondering if the developer will have a easy, medium, and hard difficulty? Again, this would satisfy those of us who enjoy a higher degree of difficulty and those that do not.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by kusfo View Post
    We've already considered the option to do the ship smaller, but we won't take that decision until the final adjustments in playability. (we already have some mocks for a smaller ship, but for now the game is pretty enjoyable with the current size)
    You can keep the ship in actual size, looks good, just make a smaller hit box like another's good shooters.
    The actual size + mecha forme remembers me Bari-arm.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    I think the general rule of thumb is: be cinematic about how the background is playing out, while the player blasting stuff in the foreground. If you don't do level transitions as a way to move the story/scenes along inside the level, then make what's happening in the back ground interesting. Judging from the level in the video, it seems you understand this.

But I think it could use a little more polish. In the video example, it's be more cinematic to have the moon/planet thing rising up from the lower left of the screen, coming up across the horizon line in an slow arch. Maybe have more than one planet/moon do this (different size?), and also a star following a same direction by sharper arch (far away sun; small but obviously the star of the current solar system you're in). It gives it a sense of motion through space. Have some ships in the background explode! Maybe even have a few "fall" downwards rapidly with trailing explosions (yeah, I know it's space, but cinematics always overrides realism). Maybe a piece of debris of one of those exploding/falling ships from the distance, finds its way to you, by arching downward from the upper-left, across the screen. Or multiple pieces (it becomes a short dodge event, but more for the effect of cinematics). The small absence of time between the ship exploding falling, and the debris entering your foreground play area - suggests to the player that the debris took some time to reach you (and was out of your line of focus). If you're hitting your sprite limit, you can tone down you enemy patterns for these quick events. Etc. These things I suggested don't have to be long or drawn out - they can be really quick events that happen through out a stage.
    The level reminds me a lot of TFIV it needs the ships in the background in the foreground too (although that would make it look more of a direct rip off then!)

I agree with most of the criticism in this thread (ship size, background, 1 hit enemies), but holy crap, I really want this game! I can't wait for it to come out, nice work guys!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training kusfo's Avatar

Today is Friday an there are more #FridayAntarexNews !
    https://twitter.com/jordimontornes/s...40287318163456

We understand most of the concerns regarding the game (ship size, backgrounds, etc), but we're working on a lot of details. Stay tuned!

Looking good already!

Thread Information