Quantcast

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mega Drive game by 1985alternativo... Project ANTAREX - a shooter!!!

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I guess digitized graphics, either live or cg would solve a lot of it, time wise anyway. Then again, with a palette as limited as the MD's retouching sprites would presumably still take ages.

CG might work well for a shooter though.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I guess digitized graphics, either live or cg would solve a lot of it, time wise anyway. Then again, with a palette as limited as the MD's retouching sprites would presumably still take ages.

CG might work well for a shooter though.
    This is true! CG would be cheaper than pixel art.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I think adding platforming to the game would wreck pacing. There will have to be some sort of shooter mode only setting for score attack...who knows, maybe they can join the two genres well, that would be cool. Perhaps a change in view, for example, its still side scrolling shooter, only more like forgotten world's with limited jumping/rocket pack ability. I wouldn't mind a bit of fast paced run n gun mixed into the game...
    Shockman 2 for the PCE is pretty good and it combines both platforming and hori shooter sections.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Any news on this?
    I really like what I've seen and the producers of the game aren't outputting any news for some time.
    SEGA, é mais forte que tu!

Quote Originally Posted by IvoSlash View Post
    Any news on this?
    I really like what I've seen and the producers of the game aren't outputting any news for some time.
    Yep, no news recently but it is work in progress
    Ju... Ju... Juuunker... You may stop me but it's not over yet!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert POLYGAMe's Avatar

REALLY looking forward to this.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Adding Turrican-style run'n gun stages means that this game will be delayed by another two or three years.

That is a huge mistake many indie devs fall victim to: Instead of simply finishing their game they start adding more and more content and features. Instead of making a decent shmup these guys turn Antarex into a genre mix that basically requires at least as much if not way more work than two completely seperate games would have required.

This is a game I've been really looking forward too. I really wish they'd release this as a shmup and then make a run 'n gun sequel later. Doing both simultaneously greatly increases the chance of them abandoning the project before finishing it.

And we don't need an elaborate story with tons of dialogue and characters. Just a game where you shoot stuff.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 02-20-2016 at 01:30 AM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Ah, the old feature creep. Oh well, I'm happy to wait for an awesome product

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Adding Turrican-style run'n gun stages means that this game will be delayed by another two or three years.

That is a huge mistake many indie devs fall victim to: Instead of simply finishing their game they start adding more and more content and features. Instead of making a decent shmup these guys turn Antarex into a genre mix that basically requires at least as much if not way more work than two completely seperate games would have required.

This is a game I've been really looking forward too. I really wish they'd release this as a shmup and then make a run 'n gun sequel later. Doing both simultaneously greatly increases the chance of them abandoning the project before finishing it.

And we don't need an elaborate story with tons of dialogue and characters. Just a game where you shoot stuff.
    It's not often I agree with you, but for once I do 100%. The only thing I can add is that genre mixing is also risky in a way that it may polarize the fan base - some will probably hate the run 'n' gun stages, kind of how people hate the overhead stages of Thunder Force II. I do love run 'n' guns, but yeah, getting that in a separate later game is so much better.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Somehow the only time genre mixing works, as far as I can see, is when you play a game like GTA. It's the ability to choose, to an extent, depending on the mission, which genre to use: Ie, you can focus more on shooting, fighting, driving or flying to obtain the goal as you prefer.

When the genre change is forced on you it can be jarring and lose flow of the game, with limited systems such as the MD I agree that a game should not try too hard to be more than one genre and stick to its core theme.

It can be like having pizza in a Thai restaurant; it may be the best pizza you ever had, but it's not fitting. I'm still really looking forward to this game however and if each game type is done well I'll be pleased anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    It's not often I agree with you, but for once I do 100%. The only thing I can add is that genre mixing is also risky in a way that it may polarize the fan base - some will probably hate the run 'n' gun stages, kind of how people hate the overhead stages of Thunder Force II. I do love run 'n' guns, but yeah, getting that in a separate later game is so much better.
    Agreed. Very few genre mixers get it right. In saying that, I have one planned. Haha.

Personally I'm looking forward to this. The game doesn't have to be the best SHMUP out there. It just needs to have fun levels with good on-foot sections and I'm sold.

With that said, I'd like to see the option to play just the on-foot levels or just the flying levels
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    It can be like having pizza in a Thai restaurant; it may be the best pizza you ever had, but it's not fitting.
    But at least you can choose to not eat pizza.

The real problem with genre mixers is that besides the fact it's about as complex as making two separate games (because that's what it is, really), players usually just want to play one genre, i.e. the genre switches are just outright jarring and unwanted. Not to mention that maybe the player is good at only one of the genres...

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Of the FaseBonus releases, this is the one that I've been most stoked about. I'm thankful for all the other ones (any new Genesis release is a welcome one in my home), but , tbh, they've all been puzzlers or rather simplistic in design. I'm not even counting Magic Girl on these, since it was a re-release. This game simply marks a higher level of dedication; one that I'm most excited to experience once released.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    It can be like having pizza in a Thai restaurant; it may be the best pizza you ever had, but it's not fitting. I'm still really looking forward to this game however and if each game type is done well I'll be pleased anyway.
    I once had pizza at an Indian restaurant. And I'd just like to point out that dipping pizza in almond/peanut curry sauce was way better than it had any right to be.

This isn't relevant to the discussion at hand mind you, just needed to share my experience.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Thread Information