Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SNES FOR 30 DOLLARS

SNES SNES FOR 30 DOLLARS

Is anybody selling one for this price on ebay the prices I see on this system is too freaken high why are they too damn greedy

I love Shadow Dancer!"

Gumbious Priest Road Rasher Raja's Avatar

Shadow Dancer is not on the SNES thus its not worth having!

But seriously the SNES is overpriced. Try gametz, cheapassgamer, shopgooodwill or some other places for deals - and of course on weekends check garage sales. I find 3-5 SNES a year doing this.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

You can probably find a yellowed one for around $30 I would think. Are they really that pricey now?

I wonder if it's because people are ramping up for Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    You can probably find a yellowed one for around $30 I would think. Are they really that pricey now?

I wonder if it's because people are ramping up for Christmas.
    It's been on a slow incline. I think people are getting stuck trying to collect NES anymore these days and more and more are switching to SNES.
    Kiosk Documenting in progress!
    Sega Genesis w/DS-16 Pics uploaded Rough Video
    Xbox Kiosk Pics uploaded
    PS1 Kiosk Pics uploaded

The SNES scene has been worse than the NES scene for a while now. It's like the only system the nouveau retro collectors care about.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    The SNES scene has been worse than the NES scene for a while now. It's like the only system the nouveau retro collectors care about.
    Absolutely the truth. SNES has been on a rocket propelled climb into the stratosphere of prices, it's utterly ridiculous. Whereas the Genesis, equally as good, has been wallowing in the same low prices it has for the past 10 years. There have been a few games that are more expensive now, with the Sega CD and 32X holding most of those games, but by and large the Genesis is nowhere near as popular as the SNES. Gotta love nostalgia, it's like sticking blinders on a race horse.

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Absolutely the truth. SNES has been on a rocket propelled climb into the stratosphere of prices, it's utterly ridiculous. Whereas the Genesis, equally as good, has been wallowing in the same low prices it has for the past 10 years. There have been a few games that are more expensive now, with the Sega CD and 32X holding most of those games, but by and large the Genesis is nowhere near as popular as the SNES. Gotta love nostalgia, it's like sticking blinders on a race horse.
    There might be silver lining to this. Enthusiasts can build a stronger, more balanced collection for less money with the Genesis/Mega Drive. Plus, it's much more likely to get games complete with the sturdier SEGA clamshell cases. It's unfortunate that the SEGA CD's best titles are skyrocketing, but most of the quality titles on the 32X are easily attainable. SEGA CD and 32X systems seem to be inexpensive for the most part, unless you're going for a CDX, X'Eye, or Pioneer LaserActive.

I had to bail out of collecting Nintendo stuff, because cult-like fanatics and price scalping sellers are wearing rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. The revisionist history from Nintendo fans is very off-putting. I couldn't be happier focusing on SEGA instead. Someday I would like to get into the PC Engine and Neo-Geo MVS, but the prices are exorbitant.

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

I don't think $50-$60 for a clean SNES without any yellowing is unfair. Did you try craigslist? You'd be better off trying to find one locally. The shipping is probably costing you an additional $10-$15 if you purchase it online.

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post
    There might be silver lining to this. Enthusiasts can build a stronger, more balanced collection for less money with the Genesis/Mega Drive. Plus, it's much more likely to get games complete with the sturdier SEGA clamshell cases. It's unfortunate that the SEGA CD's best titles are skyrocketing, but most of the quality titles on the 32X are easily attainable. SEGA CD and 32X systems seem to be inexpensive for the most part, unless you're going for a CDX, X'Eye, or Pioneer LaserActive.

I had to bail out of collecting Nintendo stuff, because cult-like fanatics and price scalping sellers are wearing rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. The revisionist history from Nintendo fans is very off-putting. I couldn't be happier focusing on SEGA instead. Someday I would like to get into the PC Engine and Neo-Geo MVS, but the prices are exorbitant.
    While yes the cheap prices are nice, but there's an awful downside to it. With less demand and value, people are less inclined to sell Sega related items. People may complain about rarities gaining value, but it causes more copies to come out of the woodworks. It's a catch-22. I wouldn't mind the Genesis being valued closer to the SNES, but straight across even? No, that would be awful.

For example, the nice quality HDG Model 1 systems barely ever sell for more than a crummy Model 2. Any regular Genesis sells for about $20. SNES seems to be going steady at $60. That's ridiculous and just goes to show how shitty the retro fad is when they pick and choose what qualifies as "retro".

Given the choice, I picked Neo Geo. To me, PC Engine just isn't worth the crazy prices. For less than the price of two PCE Duo systems combined, I've been able to buy two loose AES systems. I don't mind paying extra for Neo Geo.

Given the choice, I picked Neo Geo. To me, PC Engine just isn't worth the crazy prices. For less than the price of two PCE Duo systems combined, I've been able to buy two loose AES systems. I don't mind paying extra for Neo Geo.
    Where the hell have you been shopping? lol. I can't even find one AES, let alone two. That must of been a score.

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

I'm glad the SNES prices are rising. It made it easier for me to sell off my SNES games and make a nice profit to go towards my beloved Genesis collection 24 years later, I still think SNES is for kiddies and the cool kids (adults now) play a Genesis

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I got a box of those things. The tricky part is getting that damn AC adaptor.

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

While yes the cheap prices are nice, but there's an awful downside to it. With less demand and value, people are less inclined to sell Sega related items. People may complain about rarities gaining value, but it causes more copies to come out of the woodworks. It's a catch-22. I wouldn't mind the Genesis being valued closer to the SNES, but straight across even? No, that would be awful.
    I understand that stance on the value issue. Supply and demand makes or breaks the used game marketplace. From experience first-hand, I've noticed a few local classic game shops that barely feature SEGA at all. Tons of Nintendo to go around. Do Nintendo systems and games make more profit for some businesses? It's possible, no matter how outrageous it is.

For example, the nice quality HDG Model 1 systems barely ever sell for more than a crummy Model 2. Any regular Genesis sells for about $20. SNES seems to be going steady at $60. That's ridiculous and just goes to show how shitty the retro fad is when they pick and choose what qualifies as "retro".
    I agree with that example. If I recall, I bought my HDG Model 1 VA6 in a fairly complete, clean package deal for around $40. SNES is a strange bird... Usually overpriced, but sometimes you can find it local in suburbs for cheap. Same applies for the old toaster NES. In my area, the SNES and NES are rarely in good condition and heavily abused.

That's very lucky on the AES consoles! Someone I'm subscribed to on YouTube got a steal on a broken AES. He was able to fix it. At the same time, he added value to a previously broken system. In that case, it pays you back!

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I dunno, I've never really had much of a problem finding SNES's at Goodwill & swap meets. You just need to be somewhat aggressive about visiting Goodwill stores, and I've found that with enough patience and tenacity, I will find anything eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkidd401 View Post
    Where the hell have you been shopping? lol. I can't even find one AES, let alone two. That must of been a score.
    The first system I lucked out and found it cheap on neo-geo.com, back in 2012. For $165 shipped to Canada (more expensive than within USA), I got an JP AES console, kidney bean stick and the hookups. The 2nd console I got from Hit-Japan in january 2013. It was sold as junk for $45 + $40 for shipping. When it arrived, it wasn't actually broken, just a bit dirty. I still find it funny how they tested this unit improperly, haha. I really lucked out with that broken system because it was a 9v Neo Geo, you can use a Genesis AC adapter with one. For 5v Neo Geos, those are harder to find compatible AC adapters for.

I guess I lucked out in both cases. I admit, Neo Geo systems have risen to a somewhat consistent margin as of late. They don't appear much on neo-geo.com and Hit-Japan has been price hiking their broken AES systems. I often see working units with a joystick sell for $200 - $250. Even at that price, a Neo Geo feels more worthy of that pricetag than a PC Engine Duo. PCE was second only to Super Famicom in Japan with Mega Drive in 3rd, yet the PCE is more expensive than the MD overall. It makes no sense! PCE should be as cheap as SFC, not more expensive!

Come to think of it, if a PCE Duo R is about $225 - $250, without shipping I actually did get two AES systems for less than a Duo.

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post
    I understand that stance on the value issue. Supply and demand makes or breaks the used game marketplace. From experience first-hand, I've noticed a few local classic game shops that barely feature SEGA at all. Tons of Nintendo to go around. Do Nintendo systems and games make more profit for some businesses? It's possible, no matter how outrageous it is.
    That is exactly why you see a lot of Nintendo stuff for sale, because there is demand and money to be had. That's why I have never been in favor of Genesis staying cheap, it only reduces the available hardware and software. Why would a reseller bother selling Genesis stuff if it isn't worth much?

That's very lucky on the AES consoles! Someone I'm subscribed to on YouTube got a steal on a broken AES. He was able to fix it. At the same time, he added value to a previously broken system. In that case, it pays you back!
    Probably Lukemorse1, that guy is annoying. See my reply to alexkidd for a clarification on those AES consoles.

Thread Information