Quantcast

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the "Other" 172 Genesis Games + the 65 PAL Games in 2014?

Love, Peace and Snack Bar Road Rasher VGTM's Avatar

I volunteer to beat Ms. Pac-Man and Zoop.(Those are the ones I own, aside from Jammit, but there's no way in hell I'm playing that again.)
    WARNING: The post above may or may not be utter nonsense, but it's best to assume that it is.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^Sweet! Good luck with Zoop, I wasn't able to get on that game's wavelength at all.

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

Add Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball to the list of games incompatible with the 6-button controller (MK-1653, at least). It works just fine if you hold the Mode button down at startup, but if you fail to do so, you won't be able to manually advance a runner from third base to home, and you also won't be able to enter a password because the cursor will jump all over the place on that screen whenever you press the D-pad.

Halfway through the season, undefeated, in Cal Ripken. Hopefully, the playoffs games are just single contests, not 7-game series.

TSB 3 status update, only three 3 games remaining in the regular season with the Niners. I admit I've been lately distracted with the Saturn.

I volunteer to beat Donald in Maui Mallard! I'm quite surprised nobody has claimed that one yet...

I'll be posting screenshots as I go. I'll also be using an emulator since I sent my Sega for repairs last week.

By the way, new to the forums! Hi!

Excellent, and welcome aboard! Looking forward to your updates.

Thank you very much!

Maui Mallard is such an awesome game, too bad so little people know about it. I first played when I was 12, I remember renting it on a store back then. It took me a good 6 years to find a copy again... and even then, all I could get was a bootleg.

Anyway, here are the first screenshots I could take before the computer went IRQL-Not-Less-Or-Equal and BlueScreen'd me in the face (seriously, it does that every time I try to use the KEGA emulator, I think a USB port is to blame...)

Title Screen complete with awesometastic music:

Donald Duck in Maui Mallard000.jpg

I'm playing in Hard Mode

Donald Duck in Maui Mallard001.jpg

Donald Duck in Maui Mallard002.jpg

I don't remember 50Hz feeling that slow...

Donald Duck in Maui Mallard003.jpg

Hmmm... I might wait to get my Sega back for this one.

That's all for now!

Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball is done.

Twenty games was a bit of a grind. The playoffs and championship turned out to be single games though, which was a relief.

The review for this one here on Sega-16 is way off-base. I mean, I know, opinions and all, and all due respect, but that review doesn't strike me as even attempting to be balanced. Most of the complaints within are rather petty, and some are flat out inaccurate. Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball certainly has its quirks, like every game does, but the core gameplay of CRJB is completely decent. The game has many laudable qualities and the shortcomings it does possess are certainly not unique among baseball games on the Genesis. The game doesn't deserve anywhere near a "2". I would feel comfortable rating the game a "7". The only real complaint I have with CRJB is that beyond in-game substitutions, you can't alter your lineups or batting orders.

Tips:

You don't need to rest your starting pitchers. You can use the same pitcher for every game. Keep this in mind when selecting a team.

Pitcher fatigue only affects pitch speed; it doesn't affect pitch control. Pitchers with high control will maintain their effectiveness even after their pitch speed drops. They can easily pitch complete games. Actually, they get better when they are completely fatigued because there's no nastier pitch in the game than a 50mph breaking ball.

Batting isn't difficult, but it takes some practice to be reasonably consistent with it. It's all about timing AND position. Each hitter has a sweet spot (a bit inside the outer end of the bat), the width of which is proportional to their batting average. The higher their batting average, the wider the sweet-spot. If you are hitting a lot of foul balls you are either making contact inside or outside of that sweet-spot. Counter this by moving your batter towards or away from the plate. If you're hitting a lot of pop-flys to the outfield, you are most likely swinging too early and you need to adjust the timing of your swing. If the pitcher is throwing fastballs, it can also be helpful to move back in the batter's box. Conversely, if he's throwing change-ups, move up in the batter's box.

The game is stat-driven, so each player has a unique set of attributes. Each player's stats are given when he's up to bat. Keep an eye on each batter's speed, so you know if that particular batter is capable of stretching a base hit into a double, and also whether he can steal bases once he gets on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Night Driver; 02-26-2014 at 03:25 PM.

^Nice one, and glad to hear you only had to play single games after the 20-game slog! And yeah, my limited experience with the game made me suspicious of the site review.

I just beat Outrunners.

^Excellent. And with that, we have exactly 100 NTSC non-sports games left (and 61 sports games).

Nooooooooooooob Sports Talker

No one has beaten xenon 2? its a old school classic!

You know what to do, then!

I am joining the fray to help knock out the last ones. I have a few done over on the Segaage forum, but I will try to pick ones that neither group has completed. I will post screenshots for when I beat one. I will also be sure to not step on anyone's toes, if their name is by the game on the 1st post.

Thanks for having me guys.
    Michael

Thread Information