Quantcast

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the "Other" 172 Genesis Games + the 65 PAL Games in 2014?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I've been working on beating The Ooze since early this year. Today I finally beat it, but I didn't get the best ending. It you don't want to count it as beat, that's fine. I mostly wanted to beat it for myself. In order to get the best ending, you need to collect all 40 DNA orbs. Missing just ONE will deny you the best ending. It might be a long time before someone can get the best ending without cheating.

Here are some photos with my username on a sticky note. It's a lot of images, so I didn't imbed them into the post reply itself.
    http://imgur.com/oDMLPgb
    From top to bottom, and in order of appearance in the ending sequence:

Just after I beat the final boss
    "You win" screen
    Jammed up inside a lava lamp (but with a different bad guy!)
    puddle of ooze
    Credits
    Some more credits

After the credits it just reset the game to the title screen.

Thoughts:

The Ooze is an amazing game, but it was crippled by difficulty. It is full of cheap one hit deaths and has that 3 lives no continues crap. Stages often have hidden bonus rooms and power-ups, but the as I player I felt afraid to explore because of all the hidden one hit death hazards. I suspect the game had a continue system at some point, but it was cut out. Using the game genie code DBZT-AAH6 will display this hidden continue screen instead of the title screen.

The music is outstanding. It was done by Howard Drossin, who also composed the music for Comix Zone. It has a similar sound to Comix Zone, but it still has it's own identity. I'm actually working on re-done versions of some of the songs in the game with higher quality instruments.

It really is a shame that this game is mostly unknown today. I like to call it "An underrated classic that doesn't appear on underrated classic lists.". If the difficulty was toned down, and if it was released a little bit earlier it would be widely known as one of the genesis's best games. Difficulty aside, it's still one of my all time favorites.

I even created some custom game genie codes for the game, since there were not already available, including the aforementioned continue screen code. I didn't use any cheats for my playthrough though, because obviously it wouldn't be beaten it I cheated .
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Hero of Algol

That's really interesting, ComradeOj.

About the hidden continue screen and nonsense difficulty, I would bet that SOA has something to do with it.
    There are several games which have noticeably higher difficulty in their US versions and/or less/no continue. IDK why that happened back in the days, but IMO it seems to be a very cheap way to try to improve the replay value of the games.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Excellent work, ComradeOj! And I don't think you need to get the best ending as long as it's not an overtly bad ending. From what I see, that's just a "normal" ending, and easily suffices.

Nice work on the recent victories, guys!

I'm getting to work on Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball. Love these EEPROM games; no batteries to change.

Frank Thomas Baseball keeps crashing on me. I've only been able to make it through one complete game. Anyone know if this game has a reputation for being "buggy"?

I've cleaned the contacts, so I don't think that's the issue.

Any ideas?

Hey all!!
    I recently joined Sega-16 as I saw this topic over at Sega Age and I'm VERY interested in joining in to help out with this task! Huge Sega fan, especially Genesis, and ready to tackle some games! With that being said, I started on The Punisher on hard difficulty last night and made it to stage 5 so I hope to have that one done fairly soon -- I've done it in the past, but I need some polishing I'm also going for NHL All-Star Hockey '95 to knock off a sports game (and one of my favorites). After those two, I plan to go for Virtual Bart!

Happy to be here and hope to meet some awesome Sega fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Night Driver View Post
    Frank Thomas Baseball keeps crashing on me. I've only been able to make it through one complete game. Anyone know if this game has a reputation for being "buggy"?

I've cleaned the contacts, so I don't think that's the issue.

Any ideas?
    I haven't heard of this issue, but haven't played the game in over 10 years! I'll see if I can check my copy tonight and let you know!

Hey, welcome aboard sgiacomo84! We're very glad for your help, and taking those games out would be hugely appreciated.

One note on The Punisher, though -- I believe I made a mistake in the list, and it's Expert difficulty (not Hard) that's needed to get a proper ending. But looking back through our notes, I can't find anything in the thread about what happens when you beat Hard.

Easy gives you a mocking ending, Normal says "Try Hard", and Expert gives the full ending; all three can be seen on YouTube. But what does Hard do?

EDIT: OK, I looked at the ROM, and it looks like it says "Congratulations!", then "The war rages on!", and then "Try the EXPERT mode." It's all in plaintext in the ROM, actually.

It'd be helpful to see the associated images to see whether it's a bad ending on Hard (though it sounds like it), so if you do beat Hard it'd be great if you could take a screenshot if possible. The attachment system on Sega-16 is messed up, so here's a quick guide to help:

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The key to making attached images visible is to choose Go Advanced, then Manage Attachments (down below), click Add Files, Choose File, Upload, and finally Insert Inline (and Done). Then if you want to make them display at full resolution (rather than as thumbnails at the end), you have to preview your post, copy the URL of each image, and replace the {ATTACH} tags with IMG tags holding the URL.

If you choose the "Insert Image" icon instead, it'll appear to work, but you'll always get the error where only you see your attachments, and everyone else just sees dead links that say "Attachment 3234" etc.
    Or you can host them on Tinypic, Imgur, or another site like that.

BTW a bunch of people have tried and failed in the thread to take out The Punisher on Expert, so whoever takes it down will get tons of respect! It might be worth attacking Virtual Bart or NHL All-Star Hockey '95 first, though, lest you get frustrated as the others have.
    Last edited by goldenband; 11-25-2014 at 06:23 PM.

I finally made it through a full game of Frank Thomas Baseball. It was close though; the screen glitched-out a couple of times and I braced for an imminent crash, but it never occurred. I even managed to win the game, 7-4.

Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that Frank Thomas Baseball doesn't save your progress in playoff mode, which makes absolutely no sense to me. Did the game's creators seriously expect someone to play a minimum of 11 games in one sitting? Especially this game, which has an even slower pace of play than the World Series Baseball games. It seems that the only way to save your game is to play in season mode. Unfortunately, the shortest season is 26 games.

I guess that's the drawback of EEPROM's--not much storage space.

Anyway, I have to track down an instruction manual before going any further with this one.

Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that Frank Thomas Baseball doesn't save your progress in playoff mode, which makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Ouch, that's bizarre!

Anyway, I have to track down an instruction manual before going any further with this one.
    I checked the usual spots just now -- Replacementdocs, Segaretro, Digital Press, SegaAge -- but the only one that had anything was SegaAge, and their scan turned out to just be the front cover. Same with the SNES manual on the NintendoAge side.

There's always the cover and manual request thread; I'm sure someone would be happy to help.

Hey, welcome aboard sgiacomo84! We're very glad for your help, and taking those games out would be hugely appreciated.

One note on The Punisher, though -- I believe I made a mistake in the list, and it's Expert difficulty (not Hard) that's needed to get a proper ending. But looking back through our notes, I can't find anything in the thread about what happens when you beat Hard.

Easy gives you a mocking ending, Normal says "Try Hard", and Expert gives the full ending; all three can be seen on YouTube. But what does Hard do?

EDIT: OK, I looked at the ROM, and it looks like it says "Congratulations!", then "The war rages on!", and then "Try the EXPERT mode." It's all in plaintext in the ROM, actually.

BTW a bunch of people have tried and failed in the thread to take out The Punisher on Expert, so whoever takes it down will get tons of respect! It might be worth attacking Virtual Bart or NHL All-Star Hockey '95 first, though, lest you get frustrated as the others have.

Thanks for the update!! So I tried The Punisher on expert last night and fell shy of level 4 -- that one is going to take a LOT of practice!! I decided to start up a season on NHL all-star hockey '95 and found that my game doesn't save anymore I'm going to track down a working copy and get back to that one later.

I also wanted to ask about Truxton -- what difficulty are we going for on that one?

Thanks again!!

I checked the usual spots just now -- Replacementdocs, Segaretro, Digital Press, SegaAge -- but the only one that had anything was SegaAge, and their scan turned out to just be the front cover. Same with the SNES manual on the NintendoAge side.
    Thanks. I couldn't find one either, and it will take a week, at least, to get a hard copy here. No sense wasting that much time, and as I still can't see that there is any way to save in playoffs mode, I guess I better just get started on a season.

Quote Originally Posted by sgiacomo84 View Post
    Thanks for the update!! So I tried The Punisher on expert last night and fell shy of level 4 -- that one is going to take a LOT of practice!!
    Did you want to try Hard first? We'll probably need Expert, alas, but I wouldn't mind at least seeing what the Hard end looks like.

I decided to start up a season on NHL all-star hockey '95 and found that my game doesn't save anymore I'm going to track down a working copy and get back to that one later.
    Aww, man! FWIW, soldering in a new battery is pretty easy -- if I can do it, anyone can.

I also wanted to ask about Truxton -- what difficulty are we going for on that one?
    That's a good question, and one that's come up a couple times. The game has five (!) endings which appear on successive loops, and unfortunately starting on Normal or Hard doesn't seem to jump you ahead. The game officially ends after the fifth loop, but I'm not sure if we really need to go that far, and the ending after the first loop isn't really a "bad" ending.

Lemme ask our resident shooter/shmup expert: hey, Kollision, what do you think?

Thanks. I couldn't find one either, and it will take a week, at least, to get a hard copy here. No sense wasting that much time, and as I still can't see that there is any way to save in playoffs mode, I guess I better just get started on a season.
    FWIW, I put in a request in the manual scan thread. BTW I think this game is also one of a handful of EEPROM games that haven't been patched to work on the EverDrive, so it's felicitous that you have the real cart!

FWIW, I put in a request in the manual scan thread.
    Thanks.

BTW I think this game is also one of a handful of EEPROM games that haven't been patched to work on the EverDrive, so it's felicitous that you have the real cart!
    And now I've got to find another one. After I played the first game of my season, I discovered that the game doesn't hold any saves at all. It's a bad cart. That would explain why it's constantly glitching-out and why it didn't look like it was saving in playoff mode--it probably was trying to save, but when I came back to the game after turning the power off, the game couldn't find a save in the EEPROM, so it offered me no menu option to continue. I'll round up another copy.

Truxton?
    Of course just 1 loop (5 stages) on Normal is enough to consider the game beaten. That's a helluva challenge already!
    As with all other shmups, everything after that is a bonus.

Thread Information