Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Spider-Man Games

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Default Let's Talk Spider-Man Games

Letís talk Spider-Man games. Iím trying to figure out the best Spider-Man games of each console generation. Iím interested in pure Spider-Man games, not Marvel fighting games which feature Spider-Man as a playable character or other games which feature him like Revenge of Shinobi or The Punisher.

As far as the earliest game goes, I still enjoy Spider-Man for the Atari 2600 on occasion. Itís certainly a difficult game, but it controls well and as basic as the graphics are, they did a good job of capturing Spidey considering the hardware limitations. I know there were at least two 80s computer games that came out for a variety of systems, as well as some handheld games, but Iím more interested in the console titles.

In the 8-bit era there was Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six for the NES and the port of Spider-Man vs. the Kingpin for the SMS. The NES game wasnít very good in my opinion. I havenít played it in years, but I was never able to get very far in it due to a combination of cheap enemies and unresponsive controls. It left me frustrated. I havenít played the port of the Kingpin game for the SMS, although I think the game is great on the Genesis and especially the Sega CD.

There are quite a few Spider-Man titles in the 16-bit era. The first one that comes to mind is the aforementioned Spider-Man vs. the Kingpin. This was truly a great game. Not only did it get the basic things right like responsive controls and colorful graphics that did justice to the comic, but the game had some great level design that made for some fun platforming. I loved being able to take pictures of the bad guys and sell them to the Bugle. It was just such a cool game for the time. The Sega CD version added awesome animated cut-scenes with voice actors as well as new levels. This is the penultimate version of the game, and arguably the best Spidey game of the 16-bit era.

Also from the 16-bit era were Spider-Man and X-Men in Arcadeís Revenge, Maximum Carnage and Separation Anxiety, all of which were on the Genesis and SNES. Arcadeís Revenge was a ho-hum platformer. It wasnít a bad game, but it wasnít good either. The graphics were barely a step above NES-level and considering how awesome the Kingpin game was (which came out about 2 years earlier), there isnít an excuse for this game to look as bad as it does. It just feels like an uninspired, lackadaisical effort to me.

Maximum Carnage is a solid beat Ďem up which faithfully follows the comic miniseries of the time. You can play as Spidey or Venom and you can change which one you want to be between each level, and they each have their own abilities. There are also different paths you can take throughout, so the game has replay value. It has excellent music and graphics with big bold sprites. I know the game has its detractors, but I think itís one of the best beat Ďem ups of the 16-bit era; maybe not at the SoR level, but certainly at the next plateau. The gameís biggest detractors complain about the lack of co-op, but the developers set out to recreate the comic as closely as possible, and Spidey and Venom did not team up in the book. And regardless, the game is pure beat 'em up bliss, with tight controls and a variety of enemies. If you enjoy playing beat Ďem ups alone, fire this bad boy up.

Separation Anxiety is the sequel and it is not nearly as good. They changed the graphics to make the sprites smaller, and added co-op. This one doesnít have all the level choices and multiple enemies of Maximum Carnage, though and youíre left with a boring, repetitive experience. There is another game on the Genesis and SNES simply called Spider-Man which came out in 1995 and is based on the animated series of the time, but I cannot comment on it as I have not played it.

Into the 32-bit era, there were a few titles released. The first is the infamous Spider-Man: Web of Fire for everyoneís favorite mushroom. Itís not really a very good game, but itís not terrible by any means. The graphics are decent. There is always a lot going on in the backgrounds and theyíre very colorful. The biggest problem in the game is related to the programming. The hit detection is just poor. It makes for a frustrating experience. Itís still playable, but itís a pain in the butt, and after a while it just becomes more frustrating than itís worth.

My personal favorite of the era is Spider-Man for the PS1. It was also later ported to the N64 and Dreamcast. This was the first Spidey game that opened up into a full 3D world where you could choose which direction you wanted to go and swing and glide through the air from building to building. Once inside buildings, you have the ability to climb up walls and across ceilings, so you can scope out the scene and plan your attack. There are tons of great animated cut-scenes and throughout the game, Peter Parker makes quips while fighting the baddies just like in the comics. Itís tons of fun, and it really holds up well to this day. There was a sequel to this game called Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro. Iíve never played this one, but it is supposed to be very similar to the first one gameplay-wise, but didnít receive reviews as good as the first game. Itís one Iíd definitely like to seek out and play.

Beyond the 32-bit era there have been quite a few games released, but I have not played them. I suppose that was my main motivation for making this thread. I want to hear from you guys which games are the best and which ones to avoid.

There are the movie games released for the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. These are Spider-Man: The Movie and Spider-Man 2. Across the interwebs, there seems to be some loyal followers of Spider-Man 2 as one of the better games out there, so I'm definitely interested in it. Spider-Man 3 was the final movie-game of the Toby Maguire era and was released for PS3, PS2, 360, and Wii.

Ultimate Spider-Man on the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox is one Iíd really like to try based on the youtube videos Iíve seen of it. The graphic style is done with cel shading so it has the appearance of a comic book coming to life. Then there are the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, but I donít know if those should be included as theyíre not pure Spider-Man games. As far as the newest games, I know of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions which looks interesting as it includes playable versions of different Spider-Men in different universes. Iím also familiar with The Amazing Spider-Man which is based on the latest reboot of the movie franchise.

Iím sure there are more games out there I donít know about. My Spidey expertise is limited to the 32-bit era and prior. As far as the games I have played, my favorites are Spider-Man vs. the Kingpin for the Sega CD, Maximum Carnage for the Sega Genesis and Spider-Man for the PS1. If there are superior Spidey titles out there, I want to play them, so tell us about them.

WCPO Agent

My opinions about each of the Spider-Man games.

Atari 2600 - Meh
    All the Gameboy games - Drizzling shits
    Return of the Sinister Six - Drizzling shits
    SMS/Game Gear Spider-Man - Drizzling shits
    Genesis Spider-Man - All right
    Sega CD Spider-Man - Pretty cool
    Maximum Carnage - All right
    Separation Anxiety - Drizzling shits
    Web of Fire - Meh
    PS1 Spider-Man - Pretty sweet
    Enter Electro - Drizzling shits
    Movie Spider-Man - All right
    Spider-Man 2 - Pretty good
    Ultimate Spider-Man - Pretty sweet
    All the rest of them - Drizzling shits

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

Cornelius, tell us how you really feel

I loved the spider-man arcade game as a kid. I pumped countless quarters into it and I was always sad that sega didn't port it to the genesis or even 32x.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

spiderman 2 for the 6th gen is pretty much the best spiderman game

ultimate spiderman has infuriating "racing"sections where you have to keep up with somebody
    they are annoying to say the least

spiderman 3 is arse
    it plays like 2 but looks awfull has way too many fucking QTE's ( hate those fucking things )
    and ramped up the difficulty considerably

shattered dimensions is a boss rush and its good if you liek that sort of thing if you dont its arse

out of time is passable but disjointed and over too quickly

spiderman 1 and 2 for the ps1 n64 and dc are arse these days the camera is murder and almost impossible to control

i liked the first gb game but it wasnt exactly a great game overly hard with cheap deaths

return of the sinister six oh god why wont it die ?
    Kitsune in a hat

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Spider-Man vs Kingpin for the Sega CD. Nuff' said.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

I have a number of spider-man games, some which I have yet to play but the dreamcast spider-man and sega cd spider-man I can confirm to be very good.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by segafan1989 View Post
    Cornelius, tell us how you really feel
    I think Batman has a better "hit to shit" ratio than Spider-Man, that's how I feel.

Spider-Man arcade game was all right. The "slowly decreasing health" bit was the only thing I didn't like about it.

If there are superior Spidey titles out there, I want to play them, so tell us about them.
    I sure would like a game based on Superior Spider-Man. Solve all your problems super villain style and have goons at your disposal.

Raging in the Streets

I hate vs. Kingpin on Sega-CD but I like the Genesis version, except for the no ending unless playing on Nightmare mode.

Spiderman 2 and Amazing Spiderman are decent games too.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I remember playing Spiderman on the 2600 briefly. Wasn't it actually just crawling up the side of a building dodging people throwing stuff out the windows? Ah, it looks like there is some web slinging action too judging from the commercial. Aside from Batman Sunsoft and TMNT I don't think I like ANY NES or Master System superhero games.

Spiderman vs Kingpin on Genesis was initially kind of a disappointment for me. I was annoyed by the boss fights, and the game felt short once I finally muscled through them all. I don't consider the Sega CD game the same at all, it is practically a sequel. It is the first open world game I have ever played that is such a solid Action-Platformer as well. Whatever they did to the level design, gameplay speed, combat mechanics and boss fights just clicks with me like a well polished game usually does.

All I remember about Arcade's Revenge is the magazines hyping the hell out of the SNES version so much that I almost bought one. Then when it came out for Genesis I tried it and was shocked at how mediocre it was, and that the magazines treated it as such. When I finally played the SNES game and realized there was no difference I was really disappointed overall. The Spiderman Beat-em ups are bog standard SNES Beat-em ups in the vein of Batman Returns. With limited movesets, animation and enemies on screen I just can't play these games without getting bored. The Genesis games are no better for my tastes, I'd rather play Final Fight SNES than these games.

The next and only Spiderman game I ever played was the Dreamcast version of the N64/PS1 game. They didn't enhance it enough really, but I played all the way through it. I liked the combination of third person and side scrolling they did in that game, and I think they did both pretty well. I was playing the enhanced port of Soul Reaver at the same time though and just kept feeling like this was little more than a resolution enhanced last gen game. Still, it is a good game for an Adventure title. That is aside from the cruddy camera that actually changes the controls upside down when it swings around. That carried over to the sequels on PS2 and Xbox as well and it just freaking kills me that anybody thought a camera that flips 180 degrees AND flips the controls too was a good idea.

The Sega CD Spiderman vs Kingpin is a great game, but I really hate the graphics... they're really colorless, poorly shaded and somehow still manage to be a bit grainy at times. I can't fault the gameplay but damn they could have put a bit more effort. Never liked Maximum Carnage but it appears to be liked by most as an acceptable beat'em up (even without co-op).

I loved the N64/PS1 game, never played the followup unfortunately.

I played the second PS1 Spider-Man. It was pretty good for its time. Only played a demo of the first one. Machinima has a good retrospective on Spider-Man video games

I would also vouch for a bunch of the Spider-Man games that appeared on the GBC and GBA alongside the "main" stationary console titles. Especially the movie license games on the GBA. I found that they were often than their console counterparts.
    Last edited by GeckoYamori; 01-09-2014 at 10:23 AM.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    My opinions about each of the Spider-Man games.

Atari 2600 - Meh
    All the Gameboy games - Drizzling shits
    Return of the Sinister Six - Drizzling shits
    SMS/Game Gear Spider-Man - Drizzling shits
    Genesis Spider-Man - All right
    Sega CD Spider-Man - Pretty cool
    Maximum Carnage - All right
    Separation Anxiety - Drizzling shits
    Web of Fire - Meh
    PS1 Spider-Man - Pretty sweet
    Enter Electro - Drizzling shits
    Movie Spider-Man - All right
    Spider-Man 2 - Pretty good
    Ultimate Spider-Man - Pretty sweet
    All the rest of them - Drizzling shits
    Thank you, Mr. Spunkwater. While a very unnecessarily graphic choice in terminology, I largely agree with your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoYamori View Post
    I sure would like a game based on Superior Spider-Man. Solve all your problems super villain style and have goons at your disposal.
    I didn't actually mean "Superior Spider-Man," as I actually had no idea he even existed, but after looking it up, it seems like a cool book so I learned something there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    I hate vs. Kingpin on Sega-CD but I like the Genesis version, except for the no ending unless playing on Nightmare mode.
    Agree to disagree on that one because I think the Sega CD game is stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I remember playing Spiderman on the 2600 briefly. Wasn't it actually just crawling up the side of a building dodging people throwing stuff out the windows? Ah, it looks like there is some web slinging action too judging from the commercial. Aside from Batman Sunsoft and TMNT I don't think I like ANY NES or Master System superhero games.

Spiderman vs Kingpin on Genesis was initially kind of a disappointment for me. I was annoyed by the boss fights, and the game felt short once I finally muscled through them all. I don't consider the Sega CD game the same at all, it is practically a sequel. It is the first open world game I have ever played that is such a solid Action-Platformer as well. Whatever they did to the level design, gameplay speed, combat mechanics and boss fights just clicks with me like a well polished game usually does.

All I remember about Arcade's Revenge is the magazines hyping the hell out of the SNES version so much that I almost bought one. Then when it came out for Genesis I tried it and was shocked at how mediocre it was, and that the magazines treated it as such. When I finally played the SNES game and realized there was no difference I was really disappointed overall. The Spiderman Beat-em ups are bog standard SNES Beat-em ups in the vein of Batman Returns. With limited movesets, animation and enemies on screen I just can't play these games without getting bored. The Genesis games are no better for my tastes, I'd rather play Final Fight SNES than these games.

The next and only Spiderman game I ever played was the Dreamcast version of the N64/PS1 game. They didn't enhance it enough really, but I played all the way through it. I liked the combination of third person and side scrolling they did in that game, and I think they did both pretty well. I was playing the enhanced port of Soul Reaver at the same time though and just kept feeling like this was little more than a resolution enhanced last gen game. Still, it is a good game for an Adventure title. That is aside from the cruddy camera that actually changes the controls upside down when it swings around. That carried over to the sequels on PS2 and Xbox as well and it just freaking kills me that anybody thought a camera that flips 180 degrees AND flips the controls too was a good idea.
    There is actually a bit more to the 2600 game. You have to climb the buildings with your web slinging and diffuse bombs at the top of the buildings, all while dodging projectiles. In the latter stages it gets more difficult as the Green Goblin flies around the screen shooting at you. And I agree that the 8-bit era was lousy for superhero games, but other than Batman for NES, I also liked Captain America as well as the quasi-superhero games Darkwing Duck and Bucky OíHare.

As for your assessment of the 16-bit beat-em-ups, Iíll agree with your assessment for Separation Anxiety. I actually think Batman Returns blows it out of the water because even though it is needlessly repetitive, at least it controls well and includes all of the major Batman bosses. But I donít think youíre giving Maximum Carnage a fair shake. There is a lot more going on in that game. From the multiple paths through levels, to being able to change characters between stages, to false endings and an epic final battle, the game is a solid step up from the typical licensed beat-em-up fare.

And thanks for giving the DC version of Spider-Man a once over, as I have only played the PS1 version. I agree that the camera flip while crawling on ceilings is a pain, but once you accept it as part of the game, you learn to work with it. As far as not fixing that by the next generation of games, that is just silly. Something like that is to be expected for the first true 3D outing, but not on PS2/Xbox games.

And Kitsune Knight, thanks for giving a little information on some of the newer titles. I'd rep you, but I've got to spread more of my filthy seed around first.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    As for your assessment of the 16-bit beat-em-ups, Iíll agree with your assessment for Separation Anxiety. I actually think Batman Returns blows it out of the water because even though it is needlessly repetitive, at least it controls well and includes all of the major Batman bosses. But I donít think youíre giving Maximum Carnage a fair shake. There is a lot more going on in that game. From the multiple paths through levels, to being able to change characters between stages, to false endings and an epic final battle, the game is a solid step up from the typical licensed beat-em-up fare.
    I will have to give Maximum Carnage another shake. I might have lumped it in with the Death and Return of Superman and Separation Anxiety and not played it enough to notice it was more solid. Isn't there another Spiderman Beat-em up just called Amazing Spiderman or something like that? (checks) No I must be making up games in my mind again. Ah well.

The Dreamcast game is the same draw distance as the PS1 and N64 versions as far as I can tell, but higher framerate and resolution. They just ported it and let it run at I guess 640x480 at whatever framerate it ran with after porting it over night. Soul Reaver got all new character models even over the PC version and longer draw distances and they managed to get it up to 60FPS at points. I wouldn't even call Soul Reaver a particularly well optimized port but at least they tried. It's weird too because the Tony Hawk games got improved models on Dreamcast too. Maybe they did improve some things and I just didn't notice.

And thanks for giving the DC version of Spider-Man a once over, as I have only played the PS1 version. I agree that the camera flip while crawling on ceilings is a pain, but once you accept it as part of the game, you learn to work with it. As far as not fixing that by the next generation of games, that is just silly. Something like that is to be expected for the first true 3D outing, but not on PS2/Xbox games.

And Kitsune Knight, thanks for giving a little information on some of the newer titles. I'd rep you, but I've got to spread more of my filthy seed around first.[/QUOTE]

Thread Information