Quantcast

Page 211 of 216 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3226

Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

F1 Championship Season 2000 is coming along nicely. Gonna aim for May 28th to post it. SegaAMD may or may not be disappointed by my post.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Cloofoofoo View Post
    Though now that I think about a third party did better than Sega themselves soccer wise and graphically. It's uefa dream soccer , it's smooth 60 fps and even more detailed.
    The celebrations or when you get a red or yellow card are like mini cutscenes with facial animations. And textures are filtered because there's almost no shimmering unlike j spectacle/90 minutes. It even has cinematic camera though it's unplayable like that.

I remember when it was still called Sega worldwide soccer 2001 the devs talk about the specs alittle. They said each player at the highest lod were 2,500 Tris and the arenas are 5,000 Tris.
    I wanna look at all the soccer games but my backlog is already huge. Though both the Dreamcast and PS2 have a fair amount of soccer games so that might be some good comparisons.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    F1 Championship Season 2000 is coming along nicely. Gonna aim for May 28th to post it. SegaAMD may or may not be disappointed by my post.
    yes, but donīt forget ESPN Track and Field, Army men and others.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    yes, but donīt forget ESPN Track and Field, Army men and others.
    ESPN International Track & Field should be posted May 30th, and finally Ephemeral Fantasia on May 31st. All the Army Men games are on my PS2 list.

I will aim for posting F1 Championship Season 2000 at 1 AM Pacific Time, if any of you guys will be awake.

While waiting, watch this developer video:

Before my next post, I gotta explain what the situation is. In my Test Drive Le Mans post, I said theres no PS2 games from 2000 that hit 5 million PPS. SegaAMD said F1 Championship Season 2000 did. So I decided to verify if that was the case. I thoroughly inspected the polygons to see if everything seemed right.

F1 Championship Season 2000 (PS2, 2000)

This was the first F1 game for the PS2. Developed by EA and released in very late 2000. When this game was released, it got lots of 7.6/10s, 7.8/10s, 7.9/10s and I feel that is a appropriate score. The game is quite fun from a gameplay perspective but doesn't really do anything special.

Right away we can see the game has a lot of polygons, but the low-res, low-colour and low-detail textures mean the developers were trying to save RAM.

Its the same situation no matter which car and track, lots of polygons but low-detail textures.

The rival cars look about on-par with the player's car.

If you look at the right barrier, you see this game has Dreamcast-style shadows.

And it has tons of these second screens everywhere.

Some courses have a good amount of colour.

They tried a heat haze effect but it doesn't look that good.

The textures on the ceiling aren't the best.

Balconies with transparent windows, the other building has polygonal windows, this is roadside detail done right.

So graphically this game is not a complete package. The developers aimed for very high polycounts and sacrificed other aspects, this is what the PS2 is suited for but I still think a complete package would've been better.

In terms of polygons this is a PS2 game that goes beyond the capabilities of the Dreamcast by a considerable amount. But still, these polycounts are 2.3x more than what the Dreamcast could handle, not 6x. Though I don't think this game could be ported to the Dreamcast easily, the stages have way too many polygons, overall the game is completely suited for the PS2 hardware.

Average: 3.5 million to 5.5 million polygons per second

Lots of low-LOD rival cars on-screen. 4 million PPS

Very small amount of low-LOD rival cars on-screen. 3.4 million PPS

With all the rival cars on-screen, this game can hit a insane PPS for a game from 2000. 6.6 million PPS

A couple high-LOD rivals and tons of low-LOD rivals. 5.6 million PPS

Even in practice mode with no rival cars anywhere, the game will hit 3.1 million PPS.

Sadly I can't get the polycounts for rival cars, but the player's car is 16000 polygons.

A couple low-LOD rivals on-screen. Though the polygons from all those trees add up to 5.95 million PPS.

Lots of high-LOD rival cars on-screen, but since we're in a corner it adds up to 3.45 million PPS.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Good work. It still has my that issue I have with PS2 games. They have a soft look to them. DC/Gamecube had a really sharp image. Xbox as well. PS2 games had a soft smudgy look and not talking about the motion blur.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

wrong, gcn is way more blurry than ps2 as I proved in previous posts

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    wrong, gcn is way more blurry than ps2 as I proved in previous posts
    Get the PS2 cock out of your mouth for once.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Good work. It still has my that issue I have with PS2 games. They have a soft look to them. DC/Gamecube had a really sharp image. Xbox as well. PS2 games had a soft smudgy look and not talking about the motion blur.
    And its even worse with the bad image quality of the PS2.

Also I will let you guys know whats going on. I put a new graphics card in my computer, but my BIOS locked to using integrated graphics and I can't get it out of that mode. I can't use PCSX2 using a integrated graphics card. I will be back in a couple days.

My new departure date will be June 26th. I will be leaving the task of moving to the very last minute. Because this project has to be finished right.

I'm now using 2 GBs of GDDR5. Seems like a lot for PCSX2, but the PS2 really is that hard to emulate.

I got 1 small post for tonight.

Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    Stay tuned...
    I am willing to bet that sydney 2000 DC despite of its crappy looks it should be able to go against this game toe to toe at least in the per frame count.

Did a quick comparison between Sega 90 minutes soccer on dreamcast and J league spectacle soccer also on dreamcast. For the intro animation to before a soccer game seems j league spectacle soccer uses the high player lods ( which have incredibly detailed faces ) vs 90 minutes who sticks to mid lod with simple faces. This seems to be the only time j league has the upper hand because as soon as it zooms out its apparent that they removed all the camera men from the side of the field that gives 90 minutes far more detail. Those camera men are visible even during gameplay when you set the camera behind the next angle. Seems they removed all side detail to improve framerate for j league spectacle soccer which 90 minutes struggles deeply with.Strange differences despite being the same game. I used nulldc as a guide line only since i believe its numbers to be highly inaccurate.

J league spectacle soccer:

90 minutes soccer:

Thread Information