Quantcast

Page 229 of 229 FirstFirst ... 129179219225226227228229
Results 3,421 to 3,422 of 3422

Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    It's not just about power. Back then with various custom chips you would get a developer putting their heart and soul into a game and look to use every little quirk of the Hardware.

Xbox was a beast of a console, yet even Silent Hill 2 was far a perfect port, much like how Grandia suffered on the more powerful PS.
    naturally all sixth generation hardware has quirks, but let's face it even if the port is not perfect it is good enough, it is the best port.

Silent Hill 2 had the FOG effect reduced in intensity (which is natural since the PS2 has the highest 6th gen fill rate)
    FMV is inferior on xbox. Digital Foundry assigned to the video codec.

the xbox version on the other hand has more advanced per pixel flashlight.

from the hardware viewpoint these are minor downgrades compared to the PS2 version but from a purely visual perspective we can say it's a perfect port. The PS2 is almost contained in the xbox and the differences in the amount of particles and intensity of buffer effects are just details IMO.

I don't know if a parallel with Grandia 2 could be made, I mean the PS2 is a hard to program, game was a cheap port which makes me think they put it in field rendering to avoid reengineering during the conversion. it's the same game, but in low resolution.

in the case of the xbox, these motion blur effects, dof, particles these were PS2 strong points that there is an explanation in the hardware (fill rate) why they couldn't replicate but in the case of the Grandia 2, I can't see any advantage other than time and will if a perfect port were financially required, it would have been done.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    naturally all sixth generation hardware has quirks, but let's face it even if the port is not perfect it is good enough, it is the best port.

Silent Hill 2 had the FOG effect reduced in intensity (which is natural since the PS2 has the highest 6th gen fill rate)
    FMV is inferior on xbox. Digital Foundry assigned to the video codec.

the xbox version on the other hand has more advanced per pixel flashlight.

from the hardware viewpoint these are minor downgrades compared to the PS2 version but from a purely visual perspective we can say it's a perfect port. The PS2 is almost contained in the xbox and the differences in the amount of particles and intensity of buffer effects are just details IMO.

I don't know if a parallel with Grandia 2 could be made, I mean the PS2 is a hard to program, game was a cheap port which makes me think they put it in field rendering to avoid reengineering during the conversion. it's the same game, but in low resolution.

in the case of the xbox, these motion blur effects, dof, particles these were PS2 strong points that there is an explanation in the hardware (fill rate) why they couldn't replicate but in the case of the Grandia 2, I can't see any advantage other than time and will if a perfect port were financially required, it would have been done.
    I'm talking on Granida on the Sega Saturn and how even with Game Arts handling the port themself's to the more powerful console, the Sega Saturn version is superior in many ways . But GameArts were more or less SEGA and spend 4 years on using everything they could get out of the Saturn
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information