Quantcast

Page 219 of 219 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219
Results 3,271 to 3,277 of 3277

Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar

The PS2 version seems a N64 game lol.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    What video output where these Screens made with? I don't remember the Rayman games looking that blurry on PS2; I use component Video, so maybe that's a factor there as well?

That being said, PS2 looks a bit more colorful, but I definitely prefer the sharper contrasts of the DC version in these pictures.
    Demul and PCSX2. It actually looks better than using Component Video. The reason its blurry is because its low-res 480i, might be something like 512x384. You guys know this was a common problem with early PS2 games, there was essentially no games running at 640x448.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    what I like about Dreamcast is that despite being an older tech it was fully capable of making amazing look games, with good exclusives Dreamcast could end the generation ahead of the xbox and Gamecube in my opinion. atomiswave games show it as Hokuto no Ken, faster than speed
    Yes during 1999-2001, the Dreamcast was selling at a faster pace than GameCube and OG Xbox.

With the Rayman 2 comparison, I'm not gonna tell you guys what you wanna hear. Its gonna be done in a partly subjective way.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I find these contradictions present on the same hardware very interesting.

this is not about resolution, Half Life on PS2 has less DC resolution, RE4 on GCN same thing less resolution than PS2 but looks better because the textures are better, in essence the textures on the PS2 have high resolution but the colors are 8 bit even 4 bit palletized, on Dreamcast 16 bit compressed without losing quality, even in games with equal resolution there are differences in color depth. that's why the ps2 shows blurry and muddy images for 90% of its games. another reason are the filters that the PS2 uses to try to take out the flicker they blur even more, in true any AA blurs the image and removes sharpness.

but in later games, those that use smooth textures the PS2 version is shapper than GCN and XB as in Tony Hawk underground.
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 11-28-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Do you guys know any good memes for damage control?

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    I find these contradictions present on the same hardware very interesting.

this is not about resolution, Half Life on PS2 has less DC resolution, RE4 on GCN same thing less resolution than PS2 but looks better because the textures are better, in essence the textures on the PS2 have high resolution but the colors are 8 bit even 4 bit palletized, on Dreamcast 16 bit compressed without losing quality, even in games with equal resolution there are differences in color depth. that's why the ps2 shows blurry and muddy images for 90% of its games. another reason are the filters that the PS2 uses to try to take out the flicker they blur even more, in true any AA blurs the image and removes sharpness.

but in later games, those that use smooth textures the PS2 version is shapper than GCN and XB as in Tony Hawk underground.
    The GC version of RE4 pushes more polygons than the PS2 version. PS2 has jaggies so the effective resolution increase is moot. And the texture ARE lower res on the PS2 version than the GC version. Unclear how your example is relevant to this discussion, since it's more than just textures between those versions.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    The GC version of RE4 pushes more polygons than the PS2 version. PS2 has jaggies so the effective resolution increase is moot. And the texture ARE lower res on the PS2 version than the GC version. Unclear how your example is relevant to this discussion, since it's more than just textures between those versions.
    Most people here know the guy has to defend the PS2 at all odds and whenever applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    I'm not talking or denying any of this, the user attributes the muddy look that some PS2 games have to the resolution, I just explained, that it's not about resolution but about textures in most cases.

a correction the gamecube version has more jaggies than the PS2 version, yes the ps2 is worse in almost all points, but resolution and jaggies are not one of those points. play both versions, compare only that specific aspect and you will see. Anyway enough I got tired of talking about GCN in this thread, I just want to comment on the comparisons that Yharnamresident will make of Rayman 2.

Thread Information