Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    blah blah PS2 fanboyism again
    Who cares?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

this is a PS2 vs DC thread my post serve to keep the balance, see how I silenced a user when I proved on the ps2 vs gamecube thread that the ps2 is sharper/crisper, contrary to what is commonly said.

I suspect itís even sharper than Dreamcast, I donít remember any dreamcast game thatís sharper than GT4.

this is a PS2 vs DC thread my post serve to keep the balance, see how I silenced a user when I proved on the ps2 vs gamecube thread that the ps2 is sharper/crisper, contrary to what is commonly said.

I suspect itís even sharper than Dreamcast, I donít remember any dreamcast game thatís sharper than GT4.

I have no issues with you defending the PS2, but just because you say and think it doesn't mean you silence people and it's right. I simply don't agree with you that Test Drive 24hrs looks better on the PS2 and that's even before one plays the game via the VGA box in 480p a mode that hardly any PS2 game supports. I would agree mind that GT4 is the best looking driving game that kills anything on the DC, but it's a little unfair to compare a game that came out in 2005 to DC games made in 2000/1.
    In saying that I always thought SEGA GT was the best-looking racer overall of that gen
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I have no issues with you defending the PS2, but just because you say and think it doesn't mean you silence people and it's right.
    on the other thread, we were talking about sharpness, see there the latest posts.

GT4 I don't talk about graphics, models and polygons, I'm talking about sharpness

this blog has good screens all consoles, I know you have the consoles, but if someone is reading the forum they can look

doa 2

https://blog.naver.com/gurtprla/220079294468

gt4

https://blog.naver.com/gurtprla/220104113228

sega gt

https://blog.naver.com/gurtprla/220071685833

GT 4 features the best car models out of any racer that gen , but SEGA GT 2001/Online feature better environments, better lighting and awesome depth of field effects in the replays and all in 480p and widescreen too

I also don't agree with you over Le man's, DOA 2 looking better on the PS2 but that's just my view from playing the games back in the day. I do think Silent Hill 3 looks incredible on the PS 2 mind , even to this day
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Bringing up DOA2 is a bit laughable.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Bringing up DOA2 is a bit laughable.
    Why? It's one of the few 3rd party games that came out on both systems and looked a lot better on the DC, very much like Maken X, AITD IV, Rayman 2, Le Mans and in all those games the DC also had to handle and support a higher screen res with VGA support. Well those are the ones I owned and compared back in the day, there may have been more?. The less said about the likes of ESPN Track and Field the better mind LOL
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-02-2021 at 03:57 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

those are the games available DC-PS2 complete or almost complete list classified in similar games

Sega bass fishing

Dead or alive 2
    Ready To Rumble Boxing Round 2

F1 Racing Championship Ubisoft
    Test Drive Le mans
    crazy taxi
    Ferrari F355 Challenge
    4x4 evolution
    Hydro Thunder
    San Francisco Rush 2049
    18 wheeler APT
    wacky races
    Looney Tunes space race

Soldier of Fortune
    Unreal Tournament
    Quake 3 Revolution
    Half Life
    Typing of The Dead

Rayman 2
    Ecco The Dolphin
    Donald Duck Goin' Quackers
    Evil twin ubisoft

Fur Fighters
    Federation vs Zeon
    Silent Scope

MDK2
    HeadHunter
    Resident evil code veronica
    Alone in the Dark The new nightmare
    Maken Shao/Maken X

TriggerHeart Exellica
    psyvariar 2
    Gigawings
    Gunbird

Conflict Zone
    Grandia 2

space channel 5
    Rez
    Seaman

espn track and field
    NBA Hoopz
    NBA 2K2
    Virtua Tennis
    NFL 2k2

Kof XI
    KOF Neo wave
    NeoGeo Battle Coliseum
    Hokuto No Ken

Garou Mark of the wolves
    Kof 2002/2001/2000
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Street Fighter 2 turbo X
    The Last Blade 2

capcom vs snk 2 millionaire fighting 2001
    Marvel vs Capcom 2 new age of heroes
    Street Fighter 3 3rd strike FFF
    Guilty gear X

57 games
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 01-03-2021 at 12:21 PM.

I'll don't even look to compare SEGA In-House heavily funded games, they were always going to make the best use of the Hardware
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-02-2021 at 12:41 PM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert zborgerd's Avatar

You know something is really wrong when people call jaggies... Ahem, sharpness, a feature.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert zborgerd's Avatar

I never personally liked the look or feel of Sega GT. Or even the sound for that matter. Never got a chance to play the XBox version after they had some time to improve upon it, but we played a lot of Gran Turismo 1 / 2 back in the day. I always preferred TDLM and Tokyo Extreme to Sega GT or even MSR.

Sega GT always felt like it still retained too many arcade mechanics as typical in Sega racing games. I think it would not be until Forza that GT had any serious rival. But it's clear that a lot was riding on the PS2's Gran Turismo presentation. It had to look and play better than anything before it. But there is also no denying that Sega GT looked better than the previous Gran Turismo games on PS1, but it still fell short on everything else.

But since GT 4 came 4 whole years after Sega GT, it should be expected that it would be vastly improved especially since GT 2 was a great game even back on the PS1. By then they had 4 iterations of GT games across two generations.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I never personally liked the look or feel of Sega GT. Or even the sound for that matter. Never got a chance to play the XBox version after they had some time to improve upon it, but we played a lot of Gran Turismo 1 / 2 back in the day. I always preferred TDLM and Tokyo Extreme to Sega GT or even MSR.

Sega GT always felt like it still retained too many arcade mechanics as typical in Sega racing games. I think it would not be until Forza that GT had any serious rival. But it's clear that a lot was riding on the PS2's Gran Turismo presentation. It had to look and play better than anything before it. But there is also no denying that Sega GT looked better than the previous Gran Turismo games on PS1, but it still fell short on everything else.

But since GT 4 came 4 whole years after Sega GT, it should be expected that it would be vastly improved especially since GT 2 was a great game even back on the PS1. By then they had 4 iterations of GT games across two generations.
    I didn't mind SEGA GT and liked the way the whole screen tiled when you turned a corner and also loved the how pad would rumble on the loading engine rev. But it needed to be the best racer SEGA ever made and run at 60 fps. Also, I don't know why the handling model was changed for the western version, but it was made even worse than the Japanese version (which was not very good to start with)

SEGA GT 2002 is a completely different game, it's also like a new team and developer made it and best of all its handling model was pure SEGA. It also had car models that were right up there with GT and had better environments amazing lighting and depth of field effects and the best 5.1 sound in any racer. It was for me the best racer of that gen.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

on the other thread, we were talking about sharpness, see there the latest posts.

GT4 I don't talk about graphics, models and polygons, I'm talking about sharpness

this blog has good screens all consoles, I know you have the consoles, but if someone is reading the forum they can look

doa 2

https://blog.naver.com/gurtprla/220079294468

gt4

https://blog.naver.com/gurtprla/220104113228

sega gt

https://blog.naver.com/gurtprla/220071685833
    And this is why your delusional when you talk about image quality. Anything i say wont matter about ps2 video quality. How about a quote from megavolt on ps2 video hardware, the guy who just ported the atomiswave games to dreamcast and has worked on alternate controller tech for it. Not only said the dac is shit, also the way controllers work is crap. Ill take his word over yours.

Megavolt said
    . yes, SONY saved money on all DAC and ADC in the console, because of this the image is blurry and the console wastes CPU resources to correct the position of the analogs in the controller
    I always laugh at people who claim that PS2 is much more powerful than Dreamcast when comparing CPU and GPU specifications
    Edit:Heres a more in depth quote
    . and they are completely right
    if you connect PS2 via component cable and DC via VGA and compare the two games, then PS2 looks like shit
    SEGA made only one mistake when designing DREAMCAST, they made a crappy PSU
    while SONY made a number of gross mistakes, the PS2 has a terrible video encoder, the image is blurry
    Low quality ADC in DualShock2 is compensated by software in the driver

Thread Information