Quantcast

Page 198 of 216 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208 ... LastLast
Results 2,956 to 2,970 of 3226

Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    One more post tonight since I gotta raise my consistency.

Heres Nascar 2001. I'm not sure what the situation was with this game. EA is usually known for graphically impressive games with huge budgets, but this game is only somewhat impressive. I was expecting it to be 800,000 PPS but we're looking at 400,000 PPS. This game has polycounts like a early 1999 Dreamcast game.
    Now this game does have insanely good particle effects which they advertised a lot. I will make a full post for this game soon. The graphics aren't absolutely horrible but they just barely got the job done.
    Geez talk about scraping the barrel. The game came out on the PS2 10 DAYS after the US launch of the PS2 and was developed alongside the PS1 version. I'd even be prepared to bet that it was a lightly upgraded port of the PS1 code. There's no point to comparing this crap to Dreamcast games. It not like the Dreamcast doesn't have a bunch of PS1 ports itself. The game would never have appeared on the DC anyway as EA was still butthurt over Sega's refusal to use 3DFX in the DC.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Geez talk about scraping the barrel. The game came out on the PS2 10 DAYS after the US launch of the PS2 and was developed alongside the PS1 version. I'd even be prepared to bet that it was a lightly upgraded port of the PS1 code. There's no point to comparing this crap to Dreamcast games. It not like the Dreamcast doesn't have a bunch of PS1 ports itself. The game would never have appeared on the DC anyway as EA was still butthurt over Sega's refusal to use 3DFX in the DC.
    Shovelware PSX to DC ports have already been featured many times in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

I did leave a disclaimer:

I'm not sure what the situation was with this game.
    Meaning theres a reason why the graphics aren't impressive. Either the game was rushed, or it was made by an inexperienced team, or they used a lot of stuff from the PS1 version. Although I just looked at the PS1 version and theres really nothing that looks like it was reused for the PS2 version. So likely the game was rushed so they could try to hit the PS2 U.S. launch which they didn't even manage to do.

The game would never have appeared on the DC anyway as EA was still butthurt over Sega's refusal to use 3DFX in the DC.
    I've heard the biggest reason is because they were uncomfortable with how Bernie Stolar purchased a 1st-party sports studio(Visual Concepts).
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

I got another post for Cloofoofoo. Do you know of a way to get polygons out of Chankast? Theres no reason why this wouldn't work. It just gives me empty Object files.

Just to show how old this emulator is, this game came out after the emulator was released.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

They weren't too hurt considering they developed ssx originally on the dc. But i guess sega firm refusal of their proposal to be the only sports dev on the platform , they said screw you sega and ported to the ps2.

I got another post for Cloofoofoo. Do you know of a way to get polygons out of Chankast? Theres no reason why this wouldn't work. It just gives me empty Object files.

Just to show how old this emulator is, this game came out after the emulator was released.
    Some emulators wont work for ripping because they just render a texture for the display. So it comes out as a quad or just empty. I looked at the models of that game directly from the disc. Pretty trash and probably the lowest poly on dc for a shmup. They eventually did better with karous.

Did you ever rip some of the models so we can do 1:1 comparison with the examples of assets i gave you to test how accurate/inaccurate the model ripper is on the nulldc emulator?

Interesting find on the nascar game. Did you check to make sure the front of the cars werent culled? That could be why its so low.

I've heard the biggest reason is because they were uncomfortable with how Bernie Stolar purchased a 1st-party sports studio(Visual Concepts).
    I would imagine that was more the reason. It's not like the PS2 used 3DFX tech
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I would imagine that was more the reason. It's not like the PS2 used 3DFX tech
    It's not like the PS2 lacked first-party sports games, either.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloofoofoo View Post
    They weren't too hurt considering they developed ssx originally on the dc. But i guess sega firm refusal of their proposal to be the only sports dev on the platform , they said screw you sega and ported to the ps2.
    Sega actually agreed that they could be be the only sports developer besides Visual Concepts. But they still didn't like that idea.

Did you ever rip some of the models so we can do 1:1 comparison with the examples of assets i gave you to test how accurate/inaccurate the model ripper is on the nulldc emulator?
    Yes, I'll post them tonight.

Interesting find on the nascar game. Did you check to make sure the front of the cars werent culled? That could be why its so low.
    Doesn't seem like it. The game does heavy clipping on stuff thats outside the view.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    It's not like the PS2 lacked first-party sports games, either.
    I don't know of any. Sony 1st-party is racing games and action-adventures.

Sega actually agreed that they could be be the only sports developer besides Visual Concepts. But they still didn't like that idea.

Yes, I'll post them tonight.

Doesn't seem like it. The game does heavy clipping on stuff thats outside the view.

I don't know of any. Sony 1st-party is racing games and action-adventures.
    Then that's not being exclusive then if it's them AND someone else. Either way e.a tactics just suck.

Good looking forward to the comparisons.

To check you just turn on shading and rotate to see if the front of the cars is missing. That what I do, look at the model from different angles.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Sony had 989 Sports for PS1 and PS2 until 2004as first-party sports titles. NFL, NCAA, MLB and I think NHL. 989 was shut down in 2005 I think.

MS had the Fever series. Retro Studios had an NFL game in development for Gamecube and was fairly deep before being canned. Nintendo also had an exclusive MLB baseball game but was canceled last minute. The game was done. Then Nintendo had NBA Courtside. So everyone had some 1st party sports games. Nintendo was the most disorganized with different studios/series. Where SEGA/Sony/MS had a dedicated studio.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Then that's not being exclusive then if it's them AND someone else. Either way e.a tactics just suck.

Good looking forward to the comparisons.

To check you just turn on shading and rotate to see if the front of the cars is missing. That what I do, look at the model from different angles.
    I hope you use my Soul Reaver 2 Jampack guide if you ever wanna look at the game again.

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Sony had 989 Sports for PS1 and PS2 until 2004as first-party sports titles. NFL, NCAA, MLB and I think NHL. 989 was shut down in 2005 I think.

MS had the Fever series. Retro Studios had an NFL game in development for Gamecube and was fairly deep before being canned. Nintendo also had an exclusive MLB baseball game but was canceled last minute. The game was done. Then Nintendo had NBA Courtside. So everyone had some 1st party sports games. Nintendo was the most disorganized with different studios/series. Where SEGA/Sony/MS had a dedicated studio.
    You seem to be right, though perhaps EA still viewed Visual Concepts as greater competition.

So I will start writing up a post for a fairly popular Dreamcast game. If any of you wanna stay up a hour longer.

The main Dreamcast game of Konami, Airforce Delta.

This is actually a very good game, like a 9.2/10. It has insanely good gameplay and music. In terms of graphics they are good enough, it has super high-res ground textures. It only runs at 300,000 - 600,000 PPS, but in mid-1999 those polycounts were still enough to impress people so thats why they went with that amount.

As you can likely see, this is our first Dreamcast game that only runs interlaced.

Interlacing artifacts. Doesn't this sound familiar?

The high-res ground textures.

The ground textures are the main graphical highlight of this game.

The smoke coming out of those plants are good particle effects.

Even though this game doesn't have huge polycounts, that geometry is way too complex for a 5th-gen console.

A typical scene at the start of the game. You can see this game has strong clipping, doesn't go past the fog. 350,000 PPS

Another typical scene with only a small island in sight. 300,000 PPS

This jet is 1500 polygons.

At the shop with lots of jets around. 450,000 PPS

This jet is 1200 polygons.

One of the high polygon sections. 700,000 PPS

The mountains are high poly and give this scene 550,000 PPS.

Different jet is 1800 polygons.

This shop is the only time this game will hit 1 million PPS.

The best looking stage in the game. 600,000 PPS

One of the last stages. 600,000 PPS

I will make a full post for this game when the time is right.

F14 tomcat - 1,384 tris

One more post. So we will play a game. You guys will determine which post I will make as the next backlog post.

What do you want to see next? The first one that gets 2 votes wins.

1. Ephemeral Fantasia post
    2. Street Fighter EX3 post
    3. Rayman 2 PS2 vs Dreamcast Initial Comparison

Thread Information