Quantcast

Page 219 of 222 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222 LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,285 of 3328

Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Do you guys know any good memes for damage control?
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    I find these contradictions present on the same hardware very interesting.

this is not about resolution, Half Life on PS2 has less DC resolution, RE4 on GCN same thing less resolution than PS2 but looks better because the textures are better, in essence the textures on the PS2 have high resolution but the colors are 8 bit even 4 bit palletized, on Dreamcast 16 bit compressed without losing quality, even in games with equal resolution there are differences in color depth. that's why the ps2 shows blurry and muddy images for 90% of its games. another reason are the filters that the PS2 uses to try to take out the flicker they blur even more, in true any AA blurs the image and removes sharpness.

but in later games, those that use smooth textures the PS2 version is shapper than GCN and XB as in Tony Hawk underground.
    The GC version of RE4 pushes more polygons than the PS2 version. PS2 has jaggies so the effective resolution increase is moot. And the texture ARE lower res on the PS2 version than the GC version. Unclear how your example is relevant to this discussion, since it's more than just textures between those versions.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    The GC version of RE4 pushes more polygons than the PS2 version. PS2 has jaggies so the effective resolution increase is moot. And the texture ARE lower res on the PS2 version than the GC version. Unclear how your example is relevant to this discussion, since it's more than just textures between those versions.
    Most people here know the guy has to defend the PS2 at all odds and whenever applicable.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    I'm not talking or denying any of this, the user attributes the muddy look that some PS2 games have to the resolution, I just explained, that it's not about resolution but about textures in most cases.

a correction the gamecube version has more jaggies than the PS2 version, yes the ps2 is worse in almost all points, but resolution and jaggies are not one of those points. play both versions, compare only that specific aspect and you will see. Anyway enough I got tired of talking about GCN in this thread, I just want to comment on the comparisons that Yharnamresident will make of Rayman 2.

I will eventually post this since some of you are so intrigued by it:

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Fucking love ZOE! First one was going to be a DC game as Enders Zone. Well I love ZOE2. ZOE 1 is a bit dull. Look how well it cleans up on PS4. Could be a modern middle budget game like Astebreed.

These def seem like games where the polycount prob not that high but art direction makes them gorgeous.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    I will eventually post this since some of you are so intrigued by it:

Looks like a PS game LOL
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    Yes during 1999-2001, the Dreamcast was selling at a faster pace than GameCube and OG Xbox.

The Gamecube came out in September 2001, the OG Xbox didn't launch in the US until Nov 2001. How the fuck can you compare them with Dreamcast sales in the given timeframe, especially since by then the Dreamcast was commercially DEAD and Sega were giving them away at firesale/clearance prices? (Sega dumped the DC in January 2001 https://www.gamespot.com/articles/se.../1100-2680518/ )
    WTF?? What a retarded comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    The Gamecube came out in September 2001, the OG Xbox didn't launch in the US until Nov 2001. How the fuck can you compare them with Dreamcast sales in the given timeframe, especially since by then the Dreamcast was commercially DEAD and Sega were giving them away at firesale/clearance prices? (Sega dumped the DC in January 2001 https://www.gamespot.com/articles/se.../1100-2680518/ )
    I think he means comparatively to GameCube and Xbox first 2 years in the US market. So Dreamcast sold at a better rate in it's first 2 years than Gamecube and Xbox first 2 years, which would be correct.

Spot on the DC was dead on its feet in mid 2000 .TBH I thought that the E3 2000 MGS trailer killed it LOL
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I think he means comparatively to GameCube and Xbox first 2 years in the US market. So Dreamcast sold at a better rate in it's first 2 years than Gamecube and Xbox first 2 years, which would be correct.
    Is it? My recollection from earlier discussions on this forum (and weird arguments with ABF) is that this turned out to be true for the Gamecube but not Xbox. IIRC, a close look at the numbers showed, and ABF argued, that Gamecube slightly edged out Dreamcast in "launch-aligned sales", but that was due to the Dreamcast launching earlier in the year, so that if you aligned them precisely by launch, the Gamecube gets its December sales "earlier" in the comparison. But that's a bit silly.

Xbox, on the other hand... People forget this now, but the original Xbox had the most successful launch of the generation, in North America. Whereas Gamecube had the least successful launch. Gamecube went to #2 in hardware sales in 2003 and the gap between the two shrunk.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Solid point. Yeah by 2004 the writing was on the wall for Gamecube with even sports games abandoning it. MS just cut Xbox short. It took them 5 years to hit 20 million. TA is also right that MGS E3 trailer took the show. (not for me mind you)

You know a console is going to be a massive success when giant crowds swarm your booth. MGS E3 2000 and Wii lines in E3 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post

Xbox, on the other hand... People forget this now, but the original Xbox had the most successful launch of the generation, in North America. Whereas Gamecube had the least successful launch. Gamecube went to #2 in hardware sales in 2003 and the gap between the two shrunk.
    I thought the Cube did better on its launch even in the USA? I know that in the UK the Cube launch was huge and for most of Europe with the Xbox being outsold by a big margin.

MS had to slash over 100 off the price just a few months in . It took a couple if years for MS to build up momentum and I think LIVE was a huge selling point along with the hype for HALO 2.

For the DC it did so well in the USA but in Japan SONY sold almost the entire DC user base in Japan in a single day and after a nice launch in Europe , the morons at SEGA Europe made mistake after mistake and allowed all the good will to drift away .

I still say mind that MGS 2 E3 demo was a killer , it looked so far ahead of anything, up untill then the DC was holding its own in the GFX dept against the PS2 .

It was a lot like the killer moment of the FF7 demo hitting Japan and more or less killing the Saturn chance's overnight
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

where are the comparisons? I'm waiting like a stone

stu its probably time for you to take a healthy dose of common sense serum.

These def seem like games where the polycount prob not that high but art direction makes them gorgeous.
    You are right.

Thread Information