Quantcast

Page 6 of 211 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The stock DC pad worked fine for 3D games for me, even after being spoiled by the Saturn 3D pad.

Since Saturn-to-DC pad adapters were cheap, easy to find (at EB), fully compatible and available long before the system was discontinued, 2D DC games played as well as possible.
    There's also this choice,

which works really well for me, although the d-pad takes a while to get used to.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    That wasn't what I was getting at. Of course Sony had the advantage there - I'm sure Sega would of put out a revised pad some where down the line ala the 6 button MD one; who really knows though.

I was talking more of a personal preference - I like the shape of the PS2 pad for instance, but I can't stand the sticks or dpad. The Dreamcast's, for me, were much better.
    Yeah, the Playstation D-Pad has always been kinda ass, and Sega may of revised the Dreamcast controller but on quite a few occasions I found that it wasn't quite up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    There's also this choice,

which works really well for me, although the d-pad takes a while to get used to.
    I've got several of these. It's a nice controller, and I like the extra buttons. I don't know why everyone switched to four buttons when fighting games NEED six.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I really love that pad. Works great for fighters if you're not an arcade stick person.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I've got several of these. It's a nice controller, and I like the extra buttons. I don't know why everyone switched to four buttons when fighting games NEED six.
    Because it's just one, very niche genre amongst an absolute ton of other genres really.

It's that time again! Road Rasher HalfBit's Avatar

I actually don't like the dual shock much, it cramps my hands. The Dreamcast pad, for me, was a really nice controller. It helps that even without a second analog most games control fine. I'm sure sega would have eventually released a 2-analog controller.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBit View Post
    I actually don't like the dual shock much, it cramps my hands. The Dreamcast pad, for me, was a really nice controller. It helps that even without a second analog most games control fine. I'm sure sega would have eventually released a 2-analog controller.
    I thought I was the only one who complained about the dual shock's cramped feeling.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I figure Sega super simplified the Dreamcast controller because people found their games too complicated and they wanted to be more user friendly. Also, the SNES and PS1 were more successful and only had four face buttons. That diamond design basically became cannon for all future game controllers after the SNES and PS1, there was no challenging it. What I don't get is why all gamepads have to have complete garbage for D-Pads, what is so hard about a responsive D-Pad?

Anyway, whoever said they think the Dreamcast pad is more responsive, it is. I've used it in Pinacle Game Profiler and it has virtually no dead zone and a lot more sensitivity compared to either the Dual Shock 2 or Xbox 360 Analog Sticks which have anywhere from 10-15% "deadzone." If you try to set Pinacle below that expect the character to randomly run in circles or not stop walking or the camera to spin when you aren't touching the stick. No such thing happens with the Dreamcast Analog stick. Mainstream media reviewers consistently complained about certain games on the Dreamcast having a "problem" with being to sensitive in the analog stick, the game was actually using the Dreamcast analog stick.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Because 3D gaming took over during the decline of 2D fighters/street fighting in general, and 3D fighters typically don't use six buttons.

My friend and I bought that pad and both broke down pretty quick. And that wasn't for 2D control fighting games either (we used Saturn pads for that).
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Is this the quote that got me two walls of flame from a buddy?
    No, it was this one where you pretty much said everything on the PS2 is shit compared to the Dreamcast:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post633231

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Now I will reiterate my perception of the thematic differences of the Dreamcast and PS2 libraries. I think the Dreamcast was the last console to emphasize Arcade Action titles as a main selling point of its library, and the PS2 is the first modern "Core/Mainstream" console.
    And the point you are missing is that the PS2 has a pretty heavy focus on Arcade Action titles too. The PS2 has enough of everything in it's library to essentially make any genre a main selling point.

And I'd say both the Gamecube and the Wii have a strong emphasis on Arcade and Action titles:

Honestly, I'd say the Gamecube is the Dreamcast's spiritual successor, and a similar argument could be made for the Wii as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I just don't see anything wrong in providing a reality check for stuff like that.
    Saturn and DC are usually more blindly defended in this board than the Mega Drive itself and, over the years, I developed a "problem" with that. Other consoles libraries are often entirely dismissed to praise Saturn or DC and I don't see the point.
    Fanboyism aside, what could be wrong with a console that totalizes around 1200 games? The Sega Saturn is no Dreamcast, that one is clearly a different beast with a larger and better library overall. It even has more games than the Mega Drive (it's the Sega console with the biggest game library after all), although I wouldn't say it's better in that particular case.

I say the Sega Saturn is the one which is usually overlooked and disregarded by most people because they don't even know everything the console gathered outside of its flop in the western markets. A similar case to the PC-Engine.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by opwuaioc View Post
    I thought I was the only one who complained about the dual shock's cramped feeling.
    You're definitely not. It never felt comfortable in my hands either. I hated that the basic form-factor of it lasted so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    I say the Sega Saturn is the one which is usually overlooked and disregarded by most people because they don't even know everything the console gathered outside of its flop in the western markets. A similar case to the PC-Engine.
    That's the gist of it, as the western point of view is what most of the posters here have

It's unfortunate but at least people who are more into the hobby generally know better.
    Last edited by Obviously; 01-14-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Master of Shinobi

You can't do a PPP or KKK move with 6 face buttons unless you map them to hotkeys.
    With 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons, you can. As awkward as it is.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    You can't do a PPP or KKK move with 6 face buttons unless you map them to hotkeys.
    With 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons, you can. As awkward as it is.
    Say what? I think it's the opposite. Zangief and T. Hawk's PPP moves are easy to pull off on the Saturn controller. I always have a hard time on any four-face-button controller.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBit View Post
    It was the opposite for me. I didnt have a problem adjusting to the dual shock, and it felt comfortable to me through the gen. I also didnt have a problem using the D-pad that some here appear to have had; fighters played well, and felt comfortable, for me with that d-pad The Dreamcast pad is actually the last one that I have used that would really do a number on my fingers, and I didnt particularly like the triggers much. Using it nowadays, particularly to play FPSs, TPSs, or platformers (Toy Commander also comes to mind), just feels off without that second analogue stick. It didnt bother me BITD, but now it makes me wish it was there. Fighters still play well on the pad, but those buttons really make my fingers ache in a way that I havent felt since the NES pad.

The 360 pad is probably the most comfortable I have used, but the d-pad drives me nuts on it. I have actually avoided fighters on the system because of that d-pad, and use the left analogue stick for movement for the ones I have played. I love the Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter series', but I cant bring myself to get them on the 360 with the knowledge that I will hate playing them with the analogue stick, and the d-pad will make them borderline unplayable for me. The SSX reboot was completely frustrating for me to play because I had gotten used to playing them (on the PS2) with the d-pad. I play Pac-Man Championship Ed DX, and brawlers on Xbox live, using the left analogue when I would rather use the d-pad. It is unfortunate, because everything else about the pad feels fantastic to me.

Thread Information