Quantcast

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cosmic Fantasy Stories translation

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to goldenband again."

Incredible stuff!
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^Awww, thanks! But if this thing gets translated, it'll be guys like tomaitheous and dshadoff who deserve all the credit, since they have the chops to do a good job with it. I just happened to do a lucky bit of spelunking.

@tomaitheous: Real life has intervened a bit with my ability to dig into this, but I appreciate the work you've done so far and will see what I can figure out (if only for myself) based on your helpful post.

@dshadoff: Many thanks for that, and great to have you aboard. Please do keep at it!

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Goldenband: No worries. Translation work often takes a long time anyway.

Dave: Glad to hear that you're still working on CF1. One it's done, I was planning on doing a graphic upgrade to it (since it's now SCD format). I was gonna take some of the assets of the SegaCD version and use those.

Ha, tomaitheous, I just found this! I don't think I saw that the first time around, but this made me chuckle:

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    It's possible. I'll take a quick look at the SegaCD version's text. Maybe we can get a dual translation going on.

Edit: Nope. The games have two different scripts. The MegaCD one does use uncompressed SJIS (which is a plus )
    What's old is new again! Any idea why the (Japanese-language) scripts are different, by the way? Are they completely different, or only in some places? I definitely saw that (for example) the resurrection screens are different.

Heh, I don't remember that thread.

If it's helpful to any part of this effort, there's a manual scan at Sega Retro:

http://segaretro.org/images/5/51/Cos..._jp_manual.pdf

BTW what's the fastest way to hex-edit the disc to make the region (U)? I know there are (Windows) utilities that can do it, and I also have an EverDrive for BIOS replacement, but if changing a few hex values will do the trick...

Might want to ask over at spritesmind forum, for converting to different regions.

Death Adder's minion

You guys inspired me. I found an old dump of the PCE version on my computer last week and started translating. Now 60% done, and I'll throw it on here when I'm done.

I also managed to dump the dialogue of the SCD version (only did the 1 section, and I'll see if I have time to go through that as well.)

There seem to be item names and stuff at the bottom of the files for the SCD version, but I haven't looked at dumping them. If anyone wants to do that, we can probably just copy the translated item names from the PCE version.
    Last edited by Crawdkenny; 02-07-2014 at 04:49 AM.

Nameless One Silence The Fallen's Avatar

This is VERY exciting!

I have both Cosmic Fantasy 2 for my Turbo Duo and CF Stories for the Sega CD. It's a series that I have always thought looked so cool. I remember first hearing about it in the early 2000's and just drooling over screenshots on the internet.

It would be awesome to finally be able to play the first part translated for either system.

Death Adder's minion

Well, it was slow at work today, and since I didn't have the PCE text, I managed to get done about 30-50% of the Mega CD version of CF1. When that's done, I'll UL. I wanna play CF2 before I translate it so I have context.

^Fantastic! Man, this is exactly what I hoped would happen -- folks with skills that far exceed mine would step into the breach. Looking forward to this very much.

That's amazing that you could translate so much on less than a work day! Great job, and good luck with the continued progress!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    ^Fantastic! Man, this is exactly what I hoped would happen -- folks with skills that far exceed mine would step into the breach. Looking forward to this very much.
    Well, I have no hacking skill. I can dump and translate, but after that I'm gonna have to hand it off to someone to do the hacking and reinsertion.

Road Rasher

Holy hell...a Sega CD and PCE CD translation? In the same thread?

The only way this can get better is if I learn someone is working on, and is far along into, translating the Far East of Eden games. Oh, and that Shadowrun game for SCD.

Death Adder's minion

Oh, I have a dump of Far East of Eden 4 for PSP, but it's been a hard drive space filler for YEARS and I'm not far into that one AT ALL... Maybe one day. No promises though.

Thread Information