Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book

Virgin Interactive, together with Disney Software, produced some of the most solid platformers on the Genesis, racking up such hits as Aladdin, and The Lion King. One title that flew under the radar of many gamers was The Jungle Book. Some may say that it takes more than a few pages from Aladdin, but they'd have things backwards. Programming guru David Perry stopped work on Jungle Book to tackle the famous game, and he brought a lot of its gameplay elements with him. Unfortunately, it was released afterward and eventually got lost among a wave of quality games that arrived in 1994. Anyone who's a fan of either of the aformentioned Disney hits should give it a try. We've a full review, so grab some bananas had sit for a spell!
    Last edited by Melf; 02-13-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Suffers from the same problems as Aladdin. It's a solid concept with lots of polish, but it does very little to maintain your interest for more than 2 levels.

This allows for more open environments unlike, let's say, Sonic The Hedgehog, in which you're constantly moving left.
    Öh? That must be Sonic the Hedgehog for the Xbox 360, because in my Sonic the Hedgehog for the Mega Drive, I'm usually moving right. But in zones like Marble Zone, I use the side-scrolling capabilities of the Mega Drive to move left, in order to complete the levels. I don't think it's possible in Super Mario Bros. Is it?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Was Jungle Book really released before Aladdin but around the same time as EWJ? That sounds weird. David Perry left Virgin and founded Shiney to develop EWJ, so it´s unlikely he came back to do Jungle Book for Virgin.

I think it was Jungle Book - Aladdin - EWJ, in that order. Maybe Jungle Book was released later thanks to some delay, but Aladdin´s superior graphics make it more likely it was developed after JB.

However, superb jump´n run like always with Disney-licenses for Sega (except Fantasia). It was nice to know there were some licensed games that weren´t totally crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe
    Öh? That must be Sonic the Hedgehog for the Xbox 360, because in my Sonic the Hedgehog for the Mega Drive, I'm usually moving right. But in zones like Marble Zone, I use the side-scrolling capabilities of the Mega Drive to move left, in order to complete the levels. I don't think it's possible in Super Mario Bros. Is it?

I don't know how YOU play games, but I prefer to view them through a mirror . Seriously though, I've had a rough couple of days where I write the opposite of what I mean. Sonic absolutely runs to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars
    I think it was Jungle Book - Aladdin - EWJ, in that order. Maybe Jungle Book was released later thanks to some delay, but Aladdin´s superior graphics make it more likely it was developed after JB.
    You're actually right on. Here's an excerpt from the David Perry interview on this site:

We were actually working on Disney's Jungle Book at the time, and I was very proud of our progress, then Aladdin was suddenly dropped into our lap (by Sega) as an emergency project, so I nabbed some of the Jungle Book ideas/code and that got Aladdin up and running really fast......

...As I mentioned earlier I was working on Jungle Book, then kind of raided it to get Aladdin done in time. Virgin then asked me to go back and finish up Jungle Book. There was some dispute as to what it should be, now that it's heart had been removed, and Virgin just pushed to "get it done". At that same time, I got my Green card and so I could legally form a corporation in the USA. So that's what I did and Shiny got going almost immediately. (That's now nearly 12 years ago.)

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InternalPrimate
    I don't know how YOU play games, but I prefer to view them through a mirror
    There should be a feature on this.

Oh and the Jungle Book pissed me off on the first level any game that does that is usually bad, so may I be the first to moan about the 8 rating being overly generous

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Quote Originally Posted by InternalPrimate
    I don't know how YOU play games, but I prefer to view them through a mirror .
    Hahaha, thanks for the laugh of the day!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I can't say I agree with such a high scoring as the game is quite easy and short, and the boss battles are mostly tedious (especially the monkey king). It's much less frustrating than Lion King or Aladdin though.
    Personally I'm not a big fan of this little subgenre in platforming that I call collect 'em ups and this seems to be one of the first? These games make it too obvious that I'm doing something pointless when playing, and it's there just to make the game feel longer.

Sports Talker

I liked this game, but I can never get past the Treetop village level. So confusing...
    Definetly o a plus in that it had fun music, and the levels were great to explore and collect all sorts of goodies. Very nice animation in this one too. Not as good as Aladdin, though.

At the treetop village, remember you can go back through some doors and end up in new places.. I think you had to do it in the top left hut.

an OK Disney platformer w/ nice graphics and music, but controls horribly.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Melf, this link is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by the Review
    My only issue with the sound effects is the lack of background noise. I do realize the limitations of the time, yet I can’t help but imagine that more “jungle” noises could have really set a new level of immersion.
    Agreed here, that would've helped a lot. On my end I found the music pretty poor quality, on which head I don't think Saint Louis Blues appears till the credits--might be wrong though, I had to break this game into several sessions' emulation.
    No idea what collecting the 'mysteries' entails. Do they add anything other than points?

Unsure where I'd score this one but nowhere near an 8.
    Last edited by StarMist; 01-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

This game is ok. Not great. I think 6.5 would be a fair rating.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

this thread made me want to actually play the game. on level 3 right now, and... it's ok.

Thread Information