Quantcast

Thread: Genesis Model 1 hissing sound.

Sports Talker

Default Genesis Model 1 hissing sound.

I came across a VA6 Genesis the other day and bought it for cheap. When I opened it to inspect it the RF shields were completely rusted but the mobo was in pretty good shape. I tested it to make sure it worked and it did, but the sound quality left a lot to be desired.

I have since modded it for RCA outputs and recapped it, however the hiss persists when I plug into the headphone jack --which is clean btw. Anything else I shoud focus on, any ideas on how to tackle this?

Quote Originally Posted by slivercr View Post
    I came across a VA6 Genesis the other day and bought it for cheap. When I opened it to inspect it the RF shields were completely rusted but the mobo was in pretty good shape. I tested it to make sure it worked and it did, but the sound quality left a lot to be desired.

I have since modded it for RCA outputs and recapped it, however the hiss persists when I plug into the headphone jack --which is clean btw. Anything else I shoud focus on, any ideas on how to tackle this?
    Excuse me I misunderstood the post. The headphone jack is a little noisy (it's because of the headphone amp is found in a lot of portable cassette players of the 1980's). I don't know if the MegaAMP mod fixes it or not.

Sports Talker

Im not running from the RF modulator, first thing I did was remove the thing to make room for the RCA jacks I installed. I get my AV from said jacks.

Video is bridged to the standard AV connector from the Genesis, audio comes from the headphone jacks, you know, the standard Stereo mod.
    Last edited by slivercr; 02-06-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added pic

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Chibisteven View Post
    Excuse me I misunderstood the post. The headphone jack is a little noisy (it's because of the headphone amp is found in a lot of portable cassette players of the 1980's). I don't know if the MegaAMP mod fixes it or not.
    Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info! Ill look into it a little more

Sports Talker

Following your argument I guess I should get my LR channels for the Stereo mod before they go into the amp, Ill snoop around the mobo to see what I find. I should be able to catch the signals before the come together for Mono sound in the AV port.

Sports Talker

Using this site's schematics and console5's wiki as reference I think I got it.

Gonna tap pins 1 and 8 from IC12 to catch the signals as they come from the preamp and build a small amplifying circuit for them. I figure Ill just replicate the schematic for each separate signal with the new amp.

Any opamp recommendations?

Sports Talker

Well, to end this monologue, here's a pic of the innards of the va6. I ended up changing the stock lm358 for a tl082 and adding another one on top of it because I saw it HERE and thought it was a cleaner mod than sticking a small pcb in there.

Thanks all for the input.
    Last edited by slivercr; 02-06-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added pic

Thread Information